Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Casefile

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭wawaman

Cienciano wrote: »
    I don't know anything about Ivan Milat, so this should be good

You probably do, you just dont know that you do yet !

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Now the dilema, let the 5 episodes all happen and save for a weekend binge, or do them weekly :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

pc7 wrote: »
    Now the dilema, let the 5 episodes all happen and save for a weekend binge, or do them weekly :)

You'll only be rushing through them to get to the end and miss out absorbing them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Plus that would be like 2 months of no Casefile

• Registered Users Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭griffin100

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I think my favourite series was actually the Silk Road episodes, which I thought were incredible. Maybe they have something else like that up their sleeves. Anyway, cant wait!

Agree that this was a really good set but my favourite was the Jonestown Killings. A three parter with a harrowing last episode. Actually listening to Jim Jones speaking as hundreds of people died around him was heavy listening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

This struggle is real. It's going to be an endurance test to wait for all five episodes to air. But the binge will be worth it. Especially if is Milat.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

griffin100 wrote: »
    Agree that this was a really good set but my favourite was the Jonestown Killings. A three parter with a harrowing last episode. Actually listening to Jim Jones speaking as hundreds of people died around him was heavy listening.

I think every casefile that was more than one part was excellent.

Cienciano wrote: »
    I think every casefile that was more than one part was excellent.

I think golden state killer could have been done in 4 not 5.

I didn't get into that Jonestown one - must revisit maybe.

something worked for me on the EAR / GSK thing - was sort of metronomic, meditative and almost hypnotic the way that each and every crime was narrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

Can't see how they can stretch this one out over 5 episodes :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

glasso wrote: »
    I didn't get into that Jonestown one - must revisit maybe.

something worked for me on the EAR / GSK thing - was sort of metronomic, meditative and almost hypnotic the way that each and every crime was narrated.

Jonestown one was brilliant.

I always find if I'm distracted at all in the first 5 minutes I don't enjoy it. A few it happened to me and I made it about 30 minutes in not enjoying it so I restarted it and enjoyed the whole episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

The recent trend of later releases are annoying, breaking my routine of listening on Saturday mornings.

Can't see how they can stretch this one out over 5 episodes :confused:

by sticking in more and longer ads!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

fixxxer wrote: »
    Are there any podcasts that deal with Air accidents specifically? It might sound backwards but I watched Air Crash Investigations to get over my fear of flying, find the subject fascinating now.

A slight aside, but I found this podcast recently

Inside the Black Box

Seems to be quite new, but finding it interesting so far.

fixxxer wrote: »
    A slight aside, but I found this podcast recently

Inside the Black Box

Seems to be quite new, but finding it interesting so far.

Brilliant thanks!! My second favourite subject - after true crime - is aviation accidents.

I need to get out more :p

The current series by the American scandal podcast about the Hare Krishna murders is quite interesting I think if someone is at a loss during the casefile break.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭CiaranW

A bit late now, but the other night BBC 4 had a really good 90min show on The Silk Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

CiaranW wrote: »
    A bit late now, but the other night BBC 4 had a really good 90min show on The Silk Road.

Ah damn. Any idea if its going to be replayed? or what it was called might be able to catch it online

have also been listening to "To live and die in LA" but I would not really recommend it.

The levels of intrusion that the podcast went to are beyond the pale imo. (in the later episodes 5 and 6).

Maybe just listen to it to see what should not be done - possibly in fact worth it for that.

Aside from that I don't think that it's that great and the narrator Neil Strauss does not have a good voice at all. He sounds a bit like a teenage girl at times - particularly when full of intrusive glee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Circuital

^ Yeah I've been listening to that. Aside from the bizarre nature of the 'investigation', the story could've been told in two 40 minute episodes.

• Advertisement

Circuital wrote: »
    ^ Yeah I've been listening to that. Aside from the bizarre nature of the 'investigation', the story could've been told in two 40 minute episodes.

true - totally dragged out to stick in the questionable "interviews".

Listened to the first part. 62 min long. Run of the mill back story stuff, gets ramped up for the last ten minutes.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Pidae.m wrote: »
    Listened to the first part. 62 min long. Run of the mill back story stuff, gets ramped up for the last ten minutes.

Is it Ivan?

Pidae.m wrote: »

Is it Ivan?
    Yup

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I’ve been listening to “Phoebe’s Fall”, an Australian investigative podcast about a girl who died tragically in her apartment. It doesn’t really go anywhere because it’s quite limited with what it has to work with but a good listen all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I’ve been listening to “Phoebe’s Fall”, an Australian investigative podcast about a girl who died tragically in her apartment. It doesn’t really go anywhere because it’s quite limited with what it has to work with but a good listen all the same.

Yeah that one was alright. Definitely a weird and interesting case but as you said, didn't really have anywhere to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭CiaranW

Keep losing my concentration on the latest episode. I've restarted it twice now and it is not sticking!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

I see Sword & Scale has been dumped by Wondery. The host is fairly insufferable in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Circuital

Someone mentioned The Minds of Madness. Started listening the other day. It's very good.

I started with a case I was familiar with - Carey Stayner. There's an interview with the FBI agent who got a confession out of him. It's a brilliant two-parter.

I did however find it a bit more graphic than other podcasts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Circuital wrote: »
    Someone mentioned The Minds of Madness. Started listening the other day. It's very good.

I started with a case I was familiar with - Carey Stayner. There's an interview with the FBI agent who got a confession out of him. It's a brilliant two-parter.

I did however find it a bit more graphic than other podcasts.

The Derek Bird one from the UK a number of years back is excellent. A lot of their cases are Canadian or US centered so it's always good to get a somewhat local one

Advertisement