Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Casefile

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Jonestown was another great Casefile. Bloody hell, that last episode was hard to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I'm still on episode one of Jonestown. This probably sounds awful but I'm not gripped yet. My mind keeps drifting away and I keep missing parts

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Yeah. I'm also not totally gripped by the Jonestown one either so far. I think there's always a danger of padding when it's a multi part episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mickoc

Same here, Its a good episode but no EARONS.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Hold tight for the 3rd episode it's horrific but I couldn't stop listening, the tapes are unreal. The filler was needed I think to show how they were brainwashed.

• Advertisement

anna080 wrote: »
    I'm still on episode one of Jonestown. This probably sounds awful but I'm not gripped yet. My mind keeps drifting away and I keep missing parts

agree. haven't gotten into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Wow, surprised so many people aren't getting into it, I thought it was one of the best casefiles. Had to go straight to tune-in for episode 3. I thought it was great to see how the church developed, something to draw people in and it was doing good. Then Jim slowly turned more crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

I have listened to the first two parts and really enjoyed them. I'm looking forward to part three next week.

Kinda getting into it now. Made the mistake of Googling some pictures- holy fcuk.

Finished it last night and must say it’s pretty mind blowing. Overall a very interesting story and completely crazy. That guy was some prick but can’t help feeling his followers deserved some blameLooking forward to what’s next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭optogirl

Would love to see him cover the Rachel O'Reilly case....think it has a lot of elements that would make it a great episode especially for people who don't know the outcome.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

optogirl wrote: »
    Would love to see him cover the Rachel O'Reilly case....think it has a lot of elements that would make it a great episode especially for people who don't know the outcome.

That or Elaine O'hara, the work the off duty guard did cracked that case, might message them to do it!

ETA - messaged them about the case, here's hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭QueenRizla

Really like Jonestown, so hard to comprehend how influenced people can be in that environment. It stayed with me that woman (the older disciple) arguing that there was an alternative to consider (going to Russia or Cuba) and how she was shouted down.
    I also recommended Elaine O'Hara online as a case. Would love that to be done. What I like about his podcast is the motivation and psychology at play, that is never understood by us regular civilians (Anita Coby, EAR) you just keep asking yourself why did it even happen to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

optogirl wrote: »

Second that. It's a case begging to receive the Casefile treatment.

They got back to me to say 'this tragic case in on our list'. I love how they always respect the victim, id say they'll do it very well, he really was a wolf in sheeps clothing and almost got away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

pc7 wrote: »
    That or Elaine O'hara, the work the off duty guard did cracked that case, might message them to do it!

ETA - messaged them about the case, here's hoping!

My husband was a fan of Casefile since the early episodes. He emailed suggesting the Elaine O'Hara case earlier this year and got a really nice reply.

I don't listen to podcasts generally but I listened to casefile on his recommendation and I really enjoy it. Would be great to hear an Irish based one and the Elaine O'Hara case would make a fascinating subject I reckon

How do I listen to part 3 of JT? I know he said it but I forget

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Tunein radio app. It'll be out fully next week, im just going to wait myself and power through all 3 then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

And it got just got released an hour ago as it turns out.

sentient_6 wrote: »
    And it got just got released an hour ago as it turns out.
    And a new episode is up as well. After Jonestown.

• Advertisement

If anyone listens to the Lin family on tunein can you let me know if it's bad. Gives warning about kids so I turned it off I'm not able for some of those ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I've always been interested in Jonestown and the recent episodes gave me a much clearer idea of how it could have happened. Great research.

One thing I like about Casefile is that it really respects the victims and survivors. The Jonestown victims are practically a punchline in modern culture but I would challenge anyone to listen to these episodes and confidently say that they would have survived in their place.

A lot of questions I had were answered by the episodes but does anyone know what happened to the members who had been sedated for the Congressman's visit? Were they injected while unconscious?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I didn't really know anything about Jim Jones beyond the (not sure if it's necessary to spoiler alert this)
    mass suicide and "drink the kool-aid"
    phrase.
    It was a very interesting series but I still find it impossible to get inside the minds of people who could follow him to the ends that they did.

Are all episodes by the same narrator? I unfortunately just can't get past the accent. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Are all episodes by the same narrator? I unfortunately just can't get past the accent. :/

Yes it is. I quite like his voice. It's very calm and easy to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭noveltea

i think that's what makes this podcast his voice. I could and have listened to it all day.

noveltea wrote: »
    i think that's what makes this podcast his voice. I could and have listened to it all day.

Agreed. I was a bit iffy at first but love it now. So much so that I can't listen to any other crime narrator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Anyone sign up for the Patreon?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Pidae.m wrote: »
    Anyone sign up for the Patreon?

Yeah I give $2 a month :D I'm not bothered with extra content or anything I just liked his story and enjoy the podcast and wanted to contribute (altho it's only a very small amount!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭recyclops

big big fan of the podcast and for the first time after thinking about it for a while i have submitted a case that i feel has it all for this podcast, and what i think is one of the most interesting cases in Irish history.

the green tureen murder where Shan Mohangi killed Hazel Mullen, i remember being fascinated by this when growing up as i lived near hazels home, and i also found the follow up and what happened with Shan after to be insane

hopefully i hear back

Advertisement