Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Casefile

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

anna080 wrote: »
    I'm not mad on the newer casefiles I think they're a bit rushed? I hope it's not losing it's magic. I wasn't at all gripped by the last two.

I didn't like the Lin family one. The sections with the interpreter were tedious, I had to skip forward at one stage.
    The one that sticks in my memory is the young girl on the cruise ship.
    I'd say they are running out of cases to discuss at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭siblers

The last 3 episodes were pretty run of the mill, I'd rather go a few weeks without an episode and then for them to bring out something a bit longer and more interesting. I don't see how they can be running out of cases, there's loads of cases they could go with

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Yea and I hate to say it because they're obviously tragic cases but they're just not interesting to listen to. Jesus that sounds bad but ye know what I mean. I'm not gripped in the way I was earlier on. They're a bit rushed and I find my mind wandering and I'm not listening as intensely as I had been with previous eps. The last few episodes have been pretty "standard", murder wise. I need something more.
    Jaysus what has it done to me. I'm gone sadistic!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭CiaranW

anna080 wrote:
    Yea and I hate to say it because they're obviously tragic cases but they're just not interesting to listen to. Jesus that sounds bad but ye know what I mean. I'm not gripped in the way I was earlier on. They're a bit rushed and I find my mind wandering and I'm not listening as intensely as I had been with previous eps. The last few episodes have been pretty "standard", murder wise. I need something more. Jaysus what has it done to me. I'm gone sadistic!

EAR ruined it for you, vanilla murders just don't cut it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Just finished the Shannon Matthews episode (58). I don't remember the case, even though it was recent enough...

Interesting episode, but not one of the best ones.
    The mother was horrible. She was absolutely in on it! the wench!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭CiaranW

The last 4 or 5 episodes haven't been that captivating.
    I want to hear a case with smart detective work to catch the killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

If the Killers(s) isn't caught or there is no prime suspect then I find it boring

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭fluke

It's an early one but episode 11 - the Anneliese Michel one, is pretty hairy stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Just finished EAR - i wanted closure :( What a pain episodes like that are

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Un1corn

Listening to Snowtown Episode 19. Some messed up stuff goes on in this world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I didn't like the Lin family one. The sections with the interpreter were tedious, I had to skip forward at one stage.
    The one that sticks in my memory is the young girl on the cruise ship.
    I'd say they are running out of cases to discuss at this stage.

The phone call to emergency services at the start was irritating as hell! Were we supposed to actually understand what she was saying? I couldn't make a thing out :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

Malari wrote: »
    The phone call to emergency services at the start was irritating as hell! Were we supposed to actually understand what she was saying? I couldn't make a thing out :mad:

Your woman had just walked in the house and found her family murdered. Of course she was hysterical and the operator shouting at her to calm down really wasn't helping. He lost his temper and made it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Australian emergency services operators tend to be easily irritated, if Casefile's audio offerings are to be believed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Your woman had just walked in the house and found her family murdered. Of course she was hysterical and the operator shouting at her to calm down really wasn't helping. He lost his temper and made it worse.

Yeah, I found it strange that he seemed to be getting impatient with her, but she wasn't being clear and that's what they need I guess. I just found the whole thing really annoying to listen to. Not a good way to get people hooked on a podcast episode I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,428 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Yeah the Lin family episode is probably my least favourite episode. As another poster said, all the recordings with the interpreter was very tedious to listen to. And as for the emergency call at the start of the episode, I was ready to chuck the phone out the window. I hadn't a clue what she was saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

Malari wrote: »
    Yeah, I found it strange that he seemed to be getting impatient with her, but she wasn't being clear and that's what they need I guess. I just found the whole thing really annoying to listen to. Not a good way to get people hooked on a podcast episode I would have thought.

I fully understand the operator needed to get information and fast, but getting angry with the woman was just making her worse. If he remained calm it would help to reassure her (or any other caller).

And yes, it was the first time I noticed Casefile using a full audio emergency call. That's usually Sword and Scale's trick when the host needs to pad out an episode to justify hectoring people for money all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I like when they use audio from calls and interviews. But wasn't a fan of the Lin family episode.

As for Casefile looking for money, its a free podcast with the least intrusive ads possible. Easy to skip at the start and none during the show. Listen to something like Adam Carolla, its like an hour of ads with no show sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

I liked this weeks episode, Case 64: Peter Weinberger, very well told from beginning to end.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

It was very sad, I usually avoid kiddy ones but they do it very well.
    The one on tunein this week is really well done too, hopefully they are back on track.

Yea I liked this weeks one too. It had the benefit of added detail that the others lacked.
    I was full sure it was going to turn out to be the parents behind it all along. Very tragic ending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just figured out that EAR is the East Area Rapist. doh.

I listen to these at nighttime and fall asleep halfway through. They are very interesting though. And you will always get the odd boring one, but I am sure it was not boring for the loved ones or victims concerned.

Apart from the pre prepared meals ads for Aussies, I often wonder how the narrator makes anything out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Blue apron? Do you listen to any other podcasts?!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Blue apron? Do you listen to any other podcasts?!

Yes I do. Podcast addicts are always on the lookout for more interesting stuff.

Depends on your interests etc.

I like history, so Dan Snow's History hits, The history hour, the history extra podcast, are on my go to list. Each to their own.

I also like Great Lives, and IPM, we start with your story (although that is not history, it is addictive too).

It is an individual thing really. I don't like comedy, that can be so hit and miss, and it's mostly miss for me have to say so I avoid!

I have a huge list on my feed. I delete some as I go along, but normally give most things that I think I might be interested in a go.

Is that OK with you? :eek:

Was the episode with the update to Case 46: The Frankston and Tynong North Serial Killer just the entire police press conference?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The Weinberger one was great. The idiots who own the newspapers and went with the story should be charged

Anyone subscribe to Heavens Gate? Sounded good, I'll give it a listen later

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Yes I do. Podcast addicts are always on the lookout for more interesting stuff.

Depends on your interests etc.

I like history, so Dan Snow's History hits, The history hour, the history extra podcast, are on my go to list. Each to their own.

I also like Great Lives, and IPM, we start with your story (although that is not history, it is addictive too).

It is an individual thing really. I don't like comedy, that can be so hit and miss, and it's mostly miss for me have to say so I avoid!

I have a huge list on my feed. I delete some as I go along, but normally give most things that I think I might be interested in a go.

Is that OK with you? :eek:

Erm... I think the point is that Blue Apron advert is on loads of other podcasts from all over the world.

I've been listening to some of the older episodes. I liked Case 18 The North Hollywood Shootout. Quite different to a lot of the other cases on Casefile. The bank heist/shootout from the film Heat immediately came to mind when listening to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mickoc

Just figured out that EAR is the East Area Rapist. doh.

I listen to these at nighttime and fall asleep halfway through. They are very interesting though. And you will always get the odd boring one, but I am sure it was not boring for the loved ones or victims concerned.

Apart from the pre prepared meals ads for Aussies, I often wonder how the narrator makes anything out of this.

I fall asleep aswell. That’s why I prefer the longer episodes. I think I read an article that one of the episodes was downloaded 21 million times. That’s a lot of people to advertise to.

Another extremely predictable episode this week!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

anna080 wrote: »
    Another extremely predictable episode this week!

This weeks was the first episode I was bored with. I found myself not paying attention a lot of the time.

I would prefer if they took their time on each episode and picked more interesting cases rather than trying to bring out a new episode every week.

Advertisement