Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Topographical Survey

Options
  • 25-04-2017 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi all,

We're just about to start working with our architect on house plans and he's asked that we get a topographical survey done. None of our friends who have built have had one done so was just wondering is this standard? We have a sloping site so I'm guessing its definitely a good idea for us purely based on that.

Also, would welcome recommendations for surveyors based in Leinster if anyone has had one of these done. By PM only please.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

It's a standard requirement

A good survey protects the architect and client

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭GraceKav

Thanks Brian. I thought as must but just hadn't come across it before so thought I'd swing it by the experienced here.

Would you have any idea how much this should cost, even a rough range would help.

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

We had one done in Dublin, I'll PM you the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Gimme Stitches

I paid €565 (including VAT) this included the OSI maps (€115). But it you get the same engineer to carry out the EPA this cost will probably come down.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I paid €565 (including VAT) this included the OSI maps (€115). But it you get the same engineer to carry out the EPA this cost will probably come down.

When was that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

What part of Leinster. My surveyor is North Leinster and is around €450 +vat for a typical one off domestic rural site.

Thanks all, thats really helpful. Appreciate the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Gimme Stitches

DOCARCH wrote: »
    When was that?

Around this time last year.

kieran. wrote: »
    What part of Leinster. My surveyor is North Leinster and is around €450 +vat for a typical one off domestic rural site.

Really sorry Kieran, think I missed your post before. I'm in Kilkenny. If he's near, would love if you could PM me his details?

Just in case its useful to anyone else. I have 4 of 5 quotes in and cheapest I can find is €520 plus VAT which isn't too bad I think. Two more in around that and one outlier at nearly €2k plus VAT lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

Ah he's based in Carlingford Co louth so it would be a bit far for him !!!! €520+Vat doesnt seem of the wall for a decent sized site.

• Advertisement

Yeah definitely a good deal. Just confirmed it with him now. Last quote in couldn't beat his plus he's recommended by our architect, the most pleasant to deal with and can squeeze us in next week or the week after. Easy decision. Calling it a win.

First proper task towards building is now in progress. Long road ahead but great to make a start.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Who is doing the perc test? And report? Would surveyor do that too?

Potentially but the site we're buying has livestock on it until we get planning permission and our neighbours planning application got delayed because the holes weren't left open when they came out to inspect so don't want to do percolation tests until we have the house plans ready to go in for planning permission to lessen the risk to the livestock. Know that we'll partition them off but would prefer for them to be open the lest amount of time possible. This is based on my reading of local planning applications btw, my own personal knowledge is nil so please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

I also have a contact who did our friends percolation testing up the road, he's on the approved council list and they got a very good rate so think we should be covered for that anyway.

Advertisement