Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options
  • 24-04-2017 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

What moderator for 243 deer rifle?

================================================================================================

MOD NOTE

Discussion posts split out from for sale thread here.

================================================================================================

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭Chalkie11

Specify what size thread you are looking for to narrow down the options.just a heads up!

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Tommyaya4

Chalkie11 wrote: »
    Specify what size thread you are looking for to narrow down the options.just a heads up!

Rifle isn't threaded get it done to match mod thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

Tommyaya4 wrote: »
    Chalkie11 wrote: »

Rifle isn't threaded get it done to match mod thanks
    Get it threaded first then buy the mod , your barrel diameter will dictate your thread size , you could be left with a mod that wont fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭SakoHunter75

Get it threaded first then buy the mod , your barrel diameter will dictate your thread size , you could be left with a mod that wont fit.

In my experience given the option it's best to already have a mod before you get the barrel threaded, and to give the mod to whoever is doing the job along with the rifle, so he can make sure it fits ok. Otherwise there is a risk that the thread will be too loose or too tight when you go to screw on the mod (as happened to me, had to get a die forced with difficulty down the thread several times by a local fitter before the mod would fit after having the barrel threaded by a gunsmith: NOT good).

In my experience given the option it's best to already have a mod before you get the barrel threaded, and to give the mod to whoever is doing the job along with the rifle, so he can make sure it fits ok. Otherwise there is a risk that the thread will be too loose or too tight when you go to screw on the mod (as happened to me, had to get a die forced with difficulty down the thread several times by a local fitter before the mod would fit after having the barrel threaded by a gunsmith: NOT good).

That's what I figured get a mod then have the rifle threaded sure most must be a fairly standard size

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

That's what I figured get a mod then have the rifle threaded sure most must be a fairly standard size
    No they are not. Say you go buy a mod thats m14x1 and your barrel is 13mm in diameter ,what are you going to do then? You might get lucky and its 14mm or above and they can turn it back to 14mm or screwcut to the nearest imperial size if the mod is imperial. Barrel sizes very with every manufacturer and and can be either a light barrel , a varmint barrel or a target barrel .By buying a mod first you are putting your hand out to be slapped.You need to measure your barrel diameter and make sure what your getting is suitable.I have 4 different rifles and each has a different thread and diameter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Walter Mittys Brother

had to get a die forced with difficulty down the thread several times by a local fitter before the mod would fit after having the barrel threaded by a gunsmith: NOT good).

No way tell me you didn't. Why not go back to the gunsmith? A fitter is not a gunsmith.

No way tell me you didn't. Why not go back to the gunsmith? A fitter is not a gunsmith.

The gunsmith was a good 4-5 hours drive away, and I didn't want to risk couriering the rifle back and forth. 'Fitter' was probably the wrong choice of words, as this guy does thread barrels on a lathe himself, and has a well-equipped machine shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭philmire

The gunsmith was a good 4-5 hours drive away, and I didn't want to risk couriering the rifle back and forth. 'Fitter' was probably the wrong choice of words, as this guy does thread barrels on a lathe himself, and has a well-equipped machine shop.

If he has a lathe why did he use a die

philmire wrote: »
    If he has a lathe why did he use a die

Because the scope was already mounted, and the thread was already cut, but was too tight in the mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Because the scope was already mounted, and the thread was already cut, but was too tight in the mod

If it was difficult to force the die down the thread, your fellow should have used a split die, and taken light cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

There should be no die involved at all, The thread should be cut to a specific specification and measured using the appropriate equipment and gauges. The pressures involved are immense 4500 bar or 65,000 psi. I have witnessed a mod be shot 50m down a range from such a job and i have heard first hand accounts from friends and others also working in the industry of far far worse happening. There are probably two people in the country i would trust to such a task.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    If it was difficult to force the die down the thread, your fellow should have used a split die, and taken light cuts.

I didn't know there were different types of dies, but I would presume the one used was a split die, in the sense that the tightness could be adjusted with the use of a screw in the dieholder.

juice1304 wrote: »
    There should be no die involved at all, The thread should be cut to a specific specification and measured using the appropriate equipment and gauges. The pressures involved are immense 4500 bar or 65,000 psi. I have witnessed a mod be shot 50m down a range from such a job and i have heard first hand accounts from friends and others also working in the industry of far far worse happening. There are probably two people in the country i would trust to such a task.

The person who carried out this work may very well be one of those two, in the sense that his name is one that usually comes up as being one of the best. I won't be going further than that, either here or privately, as I know from my own profession that we all make mistakes, however good we are at what we do.

Lads picked up a mod but can anyone recommend some one to thread the rifle I'm based in south tipp but don't mind traveling Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Lads picked up a mod but can anyone recommend some one to thread the rifle I'm based in south tipp but don't mind traveling Thanks

You could try Dom Byrne or Enda Walsh as they wouldn't be a million miles from you and would have a good reputation and know what they are doing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Walter Mittys Brother

I'd only recommend Enda Walsh. Does it when he says he will and does it right!

Advertisement