Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stolen Leaf

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Thats a closed group btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Won't get far ...

I doubt that the thieves know that it's electric. There was an attempt to hotwire my car a couple of years ago - why anyone thinks modern cars with built in immobilizers can be hurried is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

Probably used a repeater to start the car and either move it off or pop it into neutral.
    Nissan should be able to pull GPS off the telematics data or provide the phone number of the SIM for the gardai to track, the guards need to request this though.

I pop my fobs in a metal box every time I come home and I have a system setup to detect repeater devices operating which sets off the main house alarm... but then again I'm paranoid...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

cros13 wrote: »
    Probably used a repeater to start the car and either move it off or pop it into neutral.
    Nissan should be able to pull GPS off the telematics data or provide the phone number of the SIM for the gardai to track, the guards need to request this though.

I pop my fobs in a metal box every time I come home and I have a system setup to detect repeater devices operating which sets off the main house alarm... but then again I'm paranoid...

Oh interesting, got a link for that detector?

stesaurus wrote: »
    Oh interesting, got a link for that detector?

Self-built. I use software defined radios, throw out a bait signal and listen for it being repeated.

Another possibility is that the key was cloned at a valet place or garage.
    I always make sure my home address isn't in the satnav and I have a few other security measures which I wouldn't mention publically just in case.

Though EVs being stolen is very rare.

• Advertisement

I also make sure my home address is not in the Sat Nav.

But FFS Cross, what a waste of an SDR.

Are you a Licensed Ham operator by any chance or too "low tech" for you ?

But FFS Cross, what a waste of an SDR.

I have lots of SDRs.... I used an RTLSDR for the receive and an old SDR that couldn't handle the signalling rates for my other projects for that project.
    Are you a Licensed Ham operator by any chance or too "low tech" for you ?

I had an Air Traffic Services license at one point but in the lesser regulated bands I'm a scofflaw.
    I have a lot of L-Band and X-Band stuff, a lot of military comms stuff, cellphone stuff... everything and anything either related to my work or related to whatever mischief I'm up to at the time.

Try the SDRPlay, it's a lot better then your RTLSDR.

Time to get amateur license, easy for you being an engineer..... I'm hoping to get it by the end of the year.

Try the SDRPlay, it's a lot better then your RTLSDR.

I have a lot of toys. In terms of SDRs alone:
    https://greatscottgadgets.com/hackrf/
    https://www.nuand.com/
    http://telecomtest.com.au/product/signalion/amc-rf-cards/wide-range.php
    Time to get amateur license, easy for you being an engineer..... I'm hoping to get it by the end of the year.

Only so much time in the day. Closest I'll get this year is a bunch of radio navigation coursework.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

This thread has gone way over my head.

Sorry to hear about your car OP.

• Advertisement

Soarer wrote: »
    This thread has gone way over my head.

Sorry to hear about your car OP.

Not my car at all. Just wanted to bring it to attention here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

That sucks. Only up the road from me too. Time to replace the banjaxed DVR on the cctv system me thinks.

Only so much time in the day. Closest I'll get this year is a bunch of radio navigation coursework.

Tell me about it. Working shift and having a 1 year 4 month old and nearly 3 year old I don't have time for much these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

goz83 wrote: »
    That sucks. Only up the road from me too. Time to replace the banjaxed DVR on the cctv system me thinks.

Only up the road from me also. I think if mine were stolen I would be forced to buy new :). Just hope the IONIQ or Leaf 2 would be available :cool:

The Kiwi sdrs can monitor the whole 0-30 Mhz spectrum at once which is pretty cool for hams or LW,Mw,SW listening.

I haven't tried receiving weather satellites yet, time time time........

The Plan is to have my SDR on the WEB via SDR Console, there isn't a single web sdr in Ireland yet.

We are getting off track here again... :)

Unfortunately once that Leaf is gone for more than 24 hours it's probably already in a container in bits.
    There's an increasing market in certain countries for Leaf parts due to large numbers of 2n hand leafs being imported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I know we're speculating here, but which countries?

Certain countries bordering Russia with a lot of 2nd hand EVs and rebel provinces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Orebro

Certain countries bordering Russia with a lot of 2nd hand EVs and rebel provinces.

Oh God - I hope this isn't going to be a growing trend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

gives me second thoughts about being signed up for plugshare. Anyone know was the car's owner on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

Oh cmon. One stolen car and you already think about incoming wave of cars being shipped to Europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Mope wrote: »
    Oh cmon. One stolen car and you already think about incoming wave of cars being shipped to Europe

In fairness the plugshare comment is a reasonable one.

There aren't a lot of Leafs in Ireland compared to other cars so they are not going to be stolen by your average opportunistic thief. I'd say the one in the OP was targeted specifically and it was clearly well planned.

So if you're a car thief looking for a Leaf, plugshare could to be a handy tool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Meh...perhaps - or spot what you're looking for at a SCP or FCP and follow it home (not everyone's a million miles away from those chargers).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Meh...perhaps - or spot what you're looking for at a SCP or FCP and follow it home (not everyone's a million miles away from those chargers).

or just eyeball all the chargers on the house walls: mine is get the crowbar treatment this weekend:D could be electrifying... on mature reflection: no as e-cars still have to connect it!

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Won't get far ...

I doubt that the thieves know that it's electric. There was an attempt to hotwire my car a couple of years ago - why anyone thinks modern cars with built in immobilizers can be hurried is beyond me.
    Unlikely that someone with the wherewithal to steal without a key didn't know what they were stealing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

SDRs to detect key fob activity ,

I mean what is this , Cros , the set of some dystopian future movie ?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

There aren't a lot of Leafs in Ireland compared to other cars so they are not going to be stolen by your average opportunistic thief. I'd say the one in the OP was targeted specifically and it was clearly well planned.

So if you're a car thief looking for a Leaf, plugshare could to be a handy tool.

I just changed my one so the map is town center and description says how long a walk and to ring for directions. No other private points within 100km+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭oinkely

Might have to start locking mine now! Or does it do that itself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Any update from the OP?
    No sign of the car I assume?

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    Any update from the OP?
    No sign of the car I assume?

No sign, the guards had expected to recover it quickly or not at all so thieves obviously knew how to avoid detection.

Balmed Out wrote: »
    I just changed my one so the map is town center and description says how long a walk and to ring for directions. No other private points within 100km+
    I really think that's unfortunate. If someone wanted to steal a Leaf, they can follow you back from a chargepoint - or where-ever. It's frustrating to think that plugshare should suffer over this.

I really think that's unfortunate. If someone wanted to steal a Leaf, they can follow you back from a chargepoint - or where-ever. It's frustrating to think that plugshare should suffer over this.

I agree that it's unfortunate, but at the same time, it's easier to use the app to find where an EV is likely located and what EV will be there. You could be following an EV for a long time from a CP. Most users (myself included) have the type of EV they have in the app. I could understand why someone would remove theirs, but I actually think it's less helpful to drop a pin in the wrong place and say the CP is nearby. I would quicker run out of power and call a recovery truck.

goz83 wrote: »
    but I actually think it's less helpful to drop a pin in the wrong place and say the CP is nearby. I would quicker run out of power and call a recovery truck.
    Both are less helpful. Pinpoint accurately. If you're in a range anxiety scenario, it's very unhelpful if the info given (on a home charger) is veiled.

Again, I disagree about the theft side of things. What if they stalk a local supermarket carpark of a Dublin suburb and follow an EV home? I don't think that's going to be a long journey - unless they're terribly unlucky in the mark they've selected.

I'm all for being cautious but not when it taken to a level where it interferes with stuff (removing listing from plugshare or having an obscure lising on plugshare being an example).

Both are less helpful. Pinpoint accurately. If you're in a range anxiety scenario, it's very unhelpful if the info given (on a home charger) is veiled.

Again, I disagree about the theft side of things. What if they stalk a local supermarket carpark of a Dublin suburb and follow an EV home? I don't think that's going to be a long journey - unless they're terribly unlucky in the mark they've selected.

I'm all for being cautious but not when it taken to a level where it interferes with stuff (removing listing from plugshare or having an obscure lising on plugshare being an example).

If I was a car thief (and I won't confirm or deny it :D ) who wanted to steal me an EV from a persons home, I would not stalk an EV from a CP or a supermarket. I would open up an app that gives me the address of where the EV is likely to be. It's just easier to do that. That's why I understand if someone was to delete the app, or not sign up at all.

I had a BMW stolen from my driveway 7 years ago. The key was fished through the letter box. However, I don't let these things deter me from doing what I want and I have no intentions of removing the app. I just take precautions. I have CCTV and a good alarm system and other measures are in place. Unless I see evidence that the app has been used to assist in a crime, I will keep it as is.

And it's only an A-B family car. That can easily be replaced with another one. That's what we have insurance for. I've never worried about anyone stealing my car with any of my previous cars. And now that I have a brand new one, I'm not worried either. That said, I'd be a lot more upset if someone stole my classic car, which is worth a lot less than my Ioniq.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

unkel wrote: »
    And it's only an A-B family car. That can easily be replaced with another one. That's what we have insurance for. I've never worried about anyone stealing my car with any of my previous cars. And now that I have a brand new one, I'm not worried either. That said, I'd be a lot more upset if someone stole my classic car, which is worth a lot less than my Ioniq.

+1

unkel wrote: »

If the new car was stolen, it's easier to replace insurance wise and there's much less attachment to it. You'd probably see it as a good opportunity to get a black one ;)

A little off topic.....Having a car stolen from you is a horrible experience and a huge inconvenience. You wake up in the morning, and go about your normal routine. open the front door and you have a "WTF" moment. Did I park it on the street? Did someone else borrow it? Am I being punk'd?

Then there's the call to the Gardai and your whole day is fecked up. If you do go to work that day, it won't be in your car.

Then there's the call to the insurer and the form filling. Now you have to wait a couple of weeks to see if the car turns up before the insurer will pay out. You're not even sure if you will want it back, because some scrote has had their filth all over it. It might have been used in a crime. Some [snip] might have been going commando in the back seat where your kids sit.

If the insurers do pay up, it's usually less than what the car is actually worth and your premium goes up too. Not nice

I can only imagine. The one good thing about a new or nearly new car is that with most insurers you will get another brand new car if yours is stolen. Wouldn't fancy having to wait 6+ months for it though :(

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Saw on the FB Group that a Leaf was stolen on Wednesday night from Maynooth, and that another was stolen last night, not sure where from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

liamog wrote: »
    Saw on the FB Group that a Leaf was stolen on Wednesday night from Maynooth, and that another was stolen last night, not sure where from.

The keys were fished through the letter box with the one on Wednesday night.

The one last night seems to be another case of exploiting the keyless entry.

From FB:
    162 Leaf 30KW stolen from Ratoath last night. Keys still with the owners. :mad:

I picked up an RFID/wireless blocking pouch on Amazon for the Ioniq. It works well, can literally walk right up to the car with the keys in the pouch and it won't open.

• Advertisement

3 in total in the space of a week or two.

Anyone want to take my i3, I'd like to change my car :D

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

I picked up an RFID/wireless blocking pouch on Amazon for the Ioniq. It works well, can literally walk right up to the car with the keys in the pouch and it won't open.

linky?

I've seen a video on YouTube I think of someone wrapping their fob in tinfoil.

Isn't that a lot of Leaf thefts when taking into the account the small numbers on our roads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Mope wrote: »
    linky?

Here. There are cheaper ones though or you could just use an old tin of some sort. But this works great and fits both keys. You can touch the pouch off the door and it won't open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Kinsealy
    Maynooth
    Ratoath

All geographically close. At a guess it's the same gang that is stealing them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I've seen a video on YouTube I think of someone wrapping their fob in tinfoil.

This actually works :D I have my spare key wrapped in foil in a drawer. Even beside the car it cuts RF enough to not work.

As for my key... I keep it in a small metal teapot at night time, planned to buy a pouch etc.. off ebay but never did. Tried out a few various metal boxes that were in the house but the tea pot was the winner.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Microwave or an old tin watch case. Like the ones Casio g- Shock come in.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I had found after a bit of experimentation that the microwave doesn't work particularly well with such fobs. They're "tuned" to stopping the frequency of the microwaves for cooking. Anti static bags don't seem much use either. What does work as others have said are the wireless blocking pouches, or any metal box, like tea caddies and the like(or a tea pot :)). Even a stronger mobile phone signal is cut off in a tea caddy.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I might just use the tinfoil.

Pouches etc are fine but they would require me to take my fob off the bunch of keys and doing that each way a few times a day is a pain.

• Advertisement
Advertisement