Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question !! on House with Shed/Storage outside Boundary walls

Options
  • 26-04-2017 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Sorry for the longish email - I am looking for suggestions on a property were looking to buy -4 bed semiD in D15
    During viewing I had noticed a shed/storage in the garden which was a wedge shaped extension going outside the back garden- like a wedge shared structure of < 5 sq m.
    I had asked the surveyor to comment on that and subsequently my solicitor as well ..
    The surveyors view in brief was that the shed does not belong to the owners and had probably been there since long ( property is more than 30 yrs old) .I brought the matter to the solr's attention and also to make a note of it during Solicitor’s attention during Searches to Contract.
    The solicitor has now further queried the vendors solr's if any of the areas of the storage shed is constructed on areas outside the areas included on the folio maps.
    To me it seems like a structure constructed into a vacant piece of land which can be for an adverse claim in the future .The vendors had probably bought the house as such and I dont see any ways in which they can certify it ?
    We are currently thinking of walking away as the open piece of land at the back can be hard to locate ownership of / who owns it ? and so also the shed .. I also attach the map i had shared with the surveyor here in case someone has any suggestions ?
    Is it worth discussing additionally with the planning council ( fingal county)..

raulG

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

whats the fuss about?
    Close the door of the shed and pretend it's not there? Or knock the shed?

It's the house you want to buy right?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,574 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

BryanF wrote: »
    whats the fuss about?
    Close the door of the shed and pretend it's not there? Or knock the shed?

It's the house you want to buy right?

or continue to use it and claim adverse possession (squatters title) and get that extra land signed into your name in the future ???

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

+1.... worst case scenario here is that you lose the shed.... so what.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I wonder is his concern that any of the other neighbours might try to claim adverse possession of the shed that's against his back wall - or anti-social behaviour related to the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭RaulDublin

well yes the neighbors or any one else encroaching the piece if no mans land may try to claim the shed.it guess i should be ready for that and leave it as is for now.
    Its not there in the compliance cert from their architect anyways from what i have seen so far with the solr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

in my mams estate in Dublin theres a small rectangular piece of land locked in like that. its a rectangle that stretches for about 2 houses
    one of the neighbours many years ago knocked his back wall and now has about 8 to 10 feet of extra land at the back.
    The council were the ones who blocked it up on either side as these two houses were mid terrace all other houses had side entrances.
    no one cared once the massive ditches inside were cut away and its not a breeding ground for rats.

I see your neighbour has acess to it does any of the other houses have access?
    If not you could make a nice "secret" garden for you and your neighbour to enjoy for many years to come!

...__... wrote: »
    in my mams estate in Dublin theres a small rectangular piece of land locked in like that. its a rectangle that stretches for about 2 houses
    one of the neighbours many years ago knocked his back wall and now has about 8 to 10 feet of extra land at the back.
    The council were the ones who blocked it up on either side as these two houses were mid terrace all other houses had side entrances.
    no one cared once the massive ditches inside were cut away and its not a breeding ground for rats.

I see your neighbour has acess to it does any of the other houses have access?
    If not you could make a nice "secret" garden for you and your neighbour to enjoy for many years to come!
    The neighbors have a narrow entrance to it through their garden. Not sure if anyone on the other side does as well .it should be ideal if we could but that in future but my surveyor was probably rt is saying that it could be hard to find out who all have had claims to it in the past..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Where is the door to the shed accessed from? House your buying or from no mans land?

Any reason why neighbour has an access to the land? Are they using it? Worth having a chat to them?

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Where is the door to the shed accessed from? House your buying or from no mans land?

Any reason why neighbour has an access to the land? Are they using it? Worth having a chat to them?

\Thanks . The door to the shed is from the backgarden in the house . It is like a small wedge which goes outside the garden and there is no access as such to the no mans land .

Not sure why the neighbours have access a the current renters are not aware.

The solicitor has asked to take the surveyors opinion as well on this as the compliance cert back from the vendor side has no dates mentioned for the structure - likely because it was there when they would have bought it 30 yrs back ..
    A question which arises then is if the structure is to be considers in the actual square footage of the house ( it should be ) or else they declare the structure as being acquired otherwise ..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Who has access to the shed/structure to the north of your storage shed?

I have arrows pointing at the structure that I'm referring to.

416315.png

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »

416315.png
    I saw it now. I havw no clues and from the 1st floor windows its did look lIke the house on the othe side of the no mans land may have access.

the_syco wrote: »

416315.png
    The ea had mentioned that the land belongs to the neighbors on the left and we could buy it of them as it should ideally have belonged to this house .i don't trust them tbh..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

RaulDublin wrote: »
    The ea had mentioned that the land belongs to the neighbors on the left and we could buy it of them as it should ideally have belonged to this house .i don't trust them tbh..
    I'd wonder if there are issues around it, as otherwise why haven't the sellers bought it by now?

Maybe pop over to the other structure, and see is it occupied. Also, see if you can find out does the (no mans) land belong to said structure.

Advertisement