Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rhubarb

Options
  • 26-04-2017 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭

I have 5 rhubarb plants growing in my garden for years: they are a very early, vigorous variety and can be picked by St Patrick's day, every year (sometimes even earlier). I don't know what variety they are.

However they soon start to wilt - this year they have already wilted - I think it is related to the fact that the ground seems to be exceptionally dry, for the time of year.

I would like to replace 2 of the plants with a later developing variety. What late varieties are available in garden centres in this country? I have made enquiries in several garden centres, but they don't seem unsure as to what variety is an early or late variety.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If the ground is dry all rhubarb varieties will suffer, I have similar problems myself.
    Your existing plants should give stalks well on into the summer if you keep them moist.
    Mulch with lots and lots of compost water them and they will continue to grow.

Pull some stalks regularly and never let them shoot out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Poulgorm wrote: »
    I have 5 rhubarb plants growing in my garden for years: they are a very early, vigorous variety and can be picked by St Patrick's day, every year (sometimes even earlier). I don't know what variety they are.

However they soon start to wilt - this year they have already wilted - I think it is related to the fact that the ground seems to be exceptionally dry, for the time of year.

I would like to replace 2 of the plants with a later developing variety. What late varieties are available in garden centres in this country? I have made enquiries in several garden centres, but they don't seem unsure as to what variety is an early or late variety.

Thanks

The telegraph have a good article on which rhubarb varieties to grow. They recommend Victoria or livingstone for late varieties

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/howtogrow/fruitandvegetables/10539218/Which-are-the-best-rhubarb-varieties-to-grow.html

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

The telegraph have a good article on which rhubarb varieties to grow. They recommend Victoria or livingstone for late varieties

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/howtogrow/fruitandvegetables/10539218/Which-are-the-best-rhubarb-varieties-to-grow.html

Excellent link, thank you. That should solve my problem.

Advertisement