Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New career healthcare.

Options
  • 26-04-2017 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi all,
    I've been working in a gym for the last 16 years, and feel I want a change of career. The wages are still bad and no signs of an increase coming either.
    I know there are loads of jobs in healthcare, so am looking at doing the QQI Level 5 Healthcare support. Has anyone done this online, and if so, how did they find it? What are the job prospects, wages etc. Also, was thinking maybe SNA, if anyone has any info, would be much appreciated..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 sderref

Hi,
    i did a class based QQI5 last year. I did nursing.
    5M4349-Nursing Studies L5 (Major Award) PT
    5M4339-Healthcare Support L5 Major Award
    Usually they run together, and the HCA-nursing splits for the last modules.
    I did a part time course, 2 days/week, 1 Saturday in every month.
    8 modules are there, the only one which requires more attention is anatomy&physiology as it is a huge module and easy to get lost in details. Each module has 2 written assignments 1000-3000 word, not complicated but if you want to have a distinction, research could be time consuming. Each module has some kind of exam at the end of the modules. Not difficult at all but you must be always on top of your assignments and studies.
    There is a compulsory 100hours of work experience, preferably in nursing homes where you have to use your skills and there are various tasks which must be done during this time. Patient handling, assisting during mealtime ect. If you work in full time this part could be very difficult to organize. Some of my classmates had to take their entire holiday to be able to get the 100hours of experience.
    I was working for a home care company during my curse. It is a harder call, as usually you are working alone with the clients from the first moment. If you are in a a nursing home there is always someone who can help, and you never do anything without supervision. I think in nursing homes are the safer call for an inexperienced HCA.
    Payments. Starting around the tenner, some companies going up to 13/hour.
    Clients. I did home care,there is always a bad apple but 99% are very nice and supportive.
    Workload. Really demanding physically and mentally as well. I am in a very good condition but...Manual handling is a number 1!!!
    Nursing homes vs home care. In nursing homes you might have a more predictable roster. In home care you might need a car -this is extra expense, your car, insurance, fuel, wear of car, ect, you must decide which one might suit you better.
    These come into my mind, if you want to know more, write me in private and I can give you more detailed answers.
    Best regards.

Advertisement