Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sheep Shearing Comb and Blades

• 26-04-2017 12:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭

i have an ergo pro clipper i bought a few years ago of adverts, i have clipped the sheep this past 2 years using the dagging comb/blade. is it any easier to shear using the shearing comb compaired to the dagging comb

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭roosky

same job only the shearing comb is wider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

More chance a nicking a few with the shearing comb... near impossible till with dagging comb... bit shearing comb will nr faster and is thinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Surfn wrote: »
    i have an ergo pro clipper i bought a few years ago of adverts, i have clipped the sheep this past 2 years using the dagging comb/blade. is it any easier to shear using the shearing comb compaired to the dagging comb

How much did it cost and would you recommend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Surfn

sea12 wrote: »

it was 159 euros, i personally wouldn't recommend it.
    i have used it too clip about 30 sheep twice.
    it gets pretty hot.
    also the power cord can get pulled, in my experience
    im by no means an expert at clipping though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭roosky

sea12 wrote: »

I have a similar one, would not recommend it for shearing but great for dagging!

I sheared 60 ewes one day with it and it is worth every penny to pay some lad with a proper set up two euro to do them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I'd be tempted to get one for dagging too but I saw a lamb getting hamstrung once from one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

ganmo wrote: »
    I'd be tempted to get one for dagging too but I saw a lamb getting hamstrung once from one of them.

Yea was just thinking of getting one for dagging. Good to hear people's experience

Bought sureclip 350w shears off Amazon 2 years ago brillant job for dagging... never clipped any ewes with it but clipped the 3 rams last 2 years with them saved setting up the listers and there grand for that but wouldn't wanna use them all day as there wide in ur hand and might be hard till grip after a Locka ewes! It cost me £71 come in a handycase with 2 combs and 2 or 3 blades small brush and lubricating oil... spare combs and blades aren't expensive either.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Thinking along the same lines here - it'd be handy to have something for dagging and crutching.

Would that sureclip 350w be OK for crutching?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Yea 100%.... that's what I ment by dagging thought they were same thing...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Lambman wrote: »
    Yea 100%.... that's what I ment by dagging thought they were same thing...

They probably are - I'm the one who's getting confused :)

What I'm really looking to do is "trim" ewes' backsides before they lamb. They'll be inside so I'd go for an electric one if I found an affordable one. The dagging for this time of year and post-shearing would be a bonus to tidy up any that're extra mucky.

(Tis strange saying "mucky" when we all use a different word in the real world :D)

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Yea there perfect for all that... have a look on Amazon I just ordered mines as they were cheap and had a good rating on Amazon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭Dcmb1984

Anyone here have any experience with the Kerblconsta4 sheep clipper? My main use will be trimming cows hair and tails on cattle.

Advertisement