Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riverfest 2017

• 26-04-2017 1:13pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is there much interest or excitement around these parts for this weekend's festivities?

I'm running the half marathon on Sunday morning and heading to the Hermitage Green gig in the castle in the evening. Apart from those I haven't been paying much attention to what's planned.

https://www.limerick.ie/discover/eat-see-do/festivals/riverfest

Arthur's Quay Park was good fun last year anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

I'm going to attempt the 6 mile race and hopefully the gig in the castle too. (If anyone has a spare ticket for the gig I need another one)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I'm doing the half marathon too! Its my first time doing more than a 10k race. Is it your first half marathon too? They've changed all the routes this year and they look much better imo.

I'm looking forward to doing the zipwire over the river shannon, though I expect the queues for it to be crazy. Aside from that i'll probably just have a wander around. There is always a great atmosphere in town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

The highlight for me will be Mark Black, live at the Lime Tree Theatre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I'm going to have a sleep in and a brekkie roll on Sunday morning and blissfully ignore the whole ****ing thing. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I'm not in Limerick for Riverfest this year. I really enjoyed it last year. I thought the set up in Arthur's Quay Park was unreal. I'm sickened I won't be able to do the night time kayak trip, it sounds really good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

The zipline looks interesting/scary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭d1980

Anyone any idea when fireworks are on and the time they start?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

d1980 wrote: »

Thanks

Sunday night @ 10:15pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭d1980

d1980 wrote: »

Thanks

Ignore, I got it. Sunday 1015

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 jonders

anyone know where to apply for the night time kayak tour?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

panda100 wrote: »
    I'm doing the half marathon too! Its my first time doing more than a 10k race. Is it your first half marathon too? They've changed all the routes this year and they look much better imo.

Best of luck! :) Even with the hills near the Gaelic Grounds, the Limerick course isn't really considered too tough.

I've run the HM three times before, as well as Dingle twice and both of the races in Achill Island. I'm way off the pace I used to be though. Managed it in 1:56:00 a few years ago. Will be lucky to break 2:10:00 this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭browne_rob5

jonders wrote: »
    anyone know where to apply for the night time kayak tour?

Get west are running it so give them a call or book online.

http://www.getwest.ie/contact/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 jonders

Get west are running it so give them a call or book online.

http://www.getwest.ie/contact/

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

Will there still be parking in Arthur's Quay around 12ish on Saturday do people think or will it be chock a block?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Harambe wrote: »
    Will there still be parking in Arthur's Quay around 12ish on Saturday do people think or will it be chock a block?

I'd say it will be busy. It generally is on Saturday mornings, so presumably it'll be busier than that. And the weather forecast is poor too so more people will be driving.

An File wrote: »
    Best of luck! :) Even with the hills near the Gaelic Grounds, the Limerick course isn't really considered too tough.

I've run the HM three times before, as well as Dingle twice and both of the races in Achill Island. I'm way off the pace I used to be though. Managed it in 1:56:00 a few years ago. Will be lucky to break 2:10:00 this weekend.

Ha, I was planning to do my first one in at least 1.55! was planning to stick to the 2 hour pacers and then make a sprint for it the last km or two. We will see how that works out :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Harambe wrote: »

Might have better luck in Cruises St or Cornmarket car park. They're only a couple of minutes extra walk. Barringtons Car Park is less than a 10 minute walk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

What a aload of crap this year
    2 major points
    Traffic should be closed off for the day around arthurs quay with all the people walking that way.The whole broadwalk wasnt used either just the bit in front of House again traffic flowing through
    Very few stewards around
    All the local characters in the area move them on.
    The BBQ seems to have gotten tiny altho i only got down at 4 it was all over
    Badly needs a rethink or new festival

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

bigpink wrote: »
    What a aload of crap this year
    2 major points
    Traffic should be closed off for the day around arthurs quay with all the people walking that way.The whole broadwalk wasnt used either just the bit in front of House again traffic flowing through
    Very few stewards around
    All the local characters in the area move them on.
    The BBQ seems to have gotten tiny altho i only got down at 4 it was all over
    Badly needs a rethink or new festival

A move to the June bank holidsy would be a great start. Was in town this morning and only for seeing the attractions in Arthur's quay park, you'd be forgiven for thinking nothing was happening..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

The whole quay shoukd be closed from brimstone down to arthurs quay for the weekend.
    Have maybe a family picnic area and kids events free ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Riverfest is not a great festival, it is essentially a BBQ/Fun Fair wrapped up with some watersports/fashion???/fireworks display.

It is well run, I guess, at least I think so.

This is however a great weekend in Limerick, the GLR is a fantastic event which packs the city out with a great crowd, it is not long ago when this weekend would see a huge exodus down to Kilkee leaving the city empty.

You gotta think tho, with the depth of history and culture that this city has to offer, we could do a bit better than this for a headline festival...

bigpink wrote:
    What a aload of crap this year 2 major points Traffic should be closed off for the day around arthurs quay with all the people walking that way.The whole broadwalk wasnt used either just the bit in front of House again traffic flowing through

It's madness that traffic is being allowed along Honans Quay! The traffic lights stopped working earlier as well making it very tricky to walk easily between arthurs quay and the bbq at house without dodging cars.

What did everyone think of the Great Limerick Run goodie bag this year? At least the people of Limerick will have fresh smelling breath from now on! :)

Its not even well run.
    The traffic was very bad and dangerous today
    Lack of stewards
    I spend 15min walking from brimstone to the park and back out.
    The BBQ looked tiny this year.Is the french market on again?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭1moreyr

So disappointed. The queues were so long getting into Arthurs Quay park we gave it a miss. When we were passing 45 mins later same people in the queue. Looked pretty chaotic. They should have closed off streets like they do for the french market.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Entonces

Can anyone recommend somewhere to park tomorrow in or near city centre? Hoping to travel in and soak up some atmosphere. Haven't been to River fest before

Entonces wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend somewhere to park tomorrow in or near city centre? Hoping to travel in and soak up some atmosphere. Haven't been to River fest before

Arthurs Quay if its not full would be ideal. Failing that, Howleys or Harveys Quay. Both are in town. Failing them, the train station. Despite what some people say, there is more than enough parking in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭1moreyr

We parked in Steamboat Quay which was quiet today but tomorrow will be hectic with the run on so you should check online what roads will be closed before heading in

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Entonces

Thanks for that.
    Is the city hard to get through while the marathon is on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

Entonces wrote: »
    Thanks for that.
    Is the city hard to get through while the marathon is on?

More impossible than hard, to be honest!

Advertisement