Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riverfest 2017

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I've always felt the GLR should be on a separate weekend. Nothing worse that not being able to pig out around town on the Saturday with the run on the Sunday. Traffic is also a nightmare on Sundays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Was in town. You'd be broke if you had kids in Arthur's quay park but lot of dead space. It's like they didn't get the retailer's they wanted.

The only thing that annoyed me was the supposed only place to cross by Penney's, other than the lights, was blocked by some BBQ crowd, who only had sausages.

Town was packed though. We spent money in town today, money normally spent in the crescent. Riverfest wasn't the draw though, darkness into light t-shirt collection was it.

Had it not been so windy it might have been a nicer day in the park though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

panda100 wrote:
    It's madness that traffic is being allowed along Honans Quay! The traffic lights stopped working earlier as well making it very tricky to walk easily between arthurs quay and the bbq at house without dodging cars.

They switched the traffic lights off to enable traffic to move more freely. All it really did was create chaos and make the city hostile for people trying to walk around it.

If the Council were serious about creating a good, annual festival that would attract large numbers of visitors and put the city on the map then they should have closed the entire city centre to traffic for the weekend and given most of the streets given over to people and events.

Riverfest 2017 is as ill-conceived and unambitious as all the previous years. But because of the Great Limerick Run and some activities on the river and a fun fair in Arthur's Quay Park we'll no doubt be told that it was a roaring success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

The wife and I popped in on Saturday. Arthur's Quay seemed a bit mad with a big queue at the entrance. What made it worse is that there was a bottleneck as people were allowed exit though the entrance. They should have been directed to the exits instead. We moved on as it looked like it wasn't going to move any time soon.

Then we walked down in the direction of the BBQ competition. Was surprised that the boardwalk wasn't used for entertainers. The BBQ area was very cramped, they really should have spread things out more. Reminded me of that food festival in the Milk Market last year, and not in a good way - a poor use of space causing bottlenecks.

Maybe we didn't give things a chance but there didn't seem to be all that much happening. About 5 years ago I was down in Waterford at the Spraoi festival and thought it was a great example of a street festival. Something they could take some inspiration from.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The concert and the fireworks were both class last night. I dunno where that weather came from for the run, but it was glorious. Great day for the Great Run.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I am just back from a walk around the city - i cannot get over the mess left by the race. There were bottles EVERYWHERE - the small kids water bottles that were being given out at the race. also gel packs and random bits of clothes people discarded as they ran.

I was chatting to a few residents near me and everyone is appalled. I remember last year posting about the same thing - rubbish left everywhere, race specific rubbish.

These people who organise this race do so for profit - we are then supposed to put up with the mess behind and i assume they are waiting for the council to clean it up. I saw some volunteers for the race picking up bottles on the Ennis Road but walk down the North Circular Road and the place is littered. Its disgusting.

I will be emailing the council and organisers to voice my anger about this - im sure it will fall on deaf ears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭browne_rob5

Parchment wrote: »
    I am just back from a walk around the city - i cannot get over the mess left by the race. There were bottles EVERYWHERE - the small kids water bottles that were being given out at the race. also gel packs and random bits of clothes people discarded as they ran.

I was chatting to a few residents near me and everyone is appalled. I remember last year posting about the same thing - rubbish left everywhere, race specific rubbish.

These people who organise this race do so for profit - we are then supposed to put up with the mess behind and i assume they are waiting for the council to clean it up. I saw some volunteers for the race picking up bottles on the Ennis Road but walk down the North Circular Road and the place is littered. Its disgusting.

I will be emailing the council and organisers to voice my anger about this - im sure it will fall on deaf ears.

That's very poor alright. I walked along the green way and around part of the city and that has been cleaned up.

Might be good to let the organisers know too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

What is it with Limerick and problems with festivals . :(

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

Hey, at least the biannual Siege of Limerick continues to go off without a hitch!

Not really a festival, but requires a lot of organisation I imagine.

12000 people did the run. I wasn't one of them but I drove passed them in Dooradoyle on my way to Cork yesterday morning. Yes, there was litter during and after the event but that is to be expected after an event like that. I left Limerick from my house in Dooradoyle at around 11 am for Cork and and was back home at roughly 3 pm. It was like nothing had happened when I returned. Streets cleared, fences removed etc. By all means, voice your anger to the council but I hope you realize that this event is one of the best things that happens in this city every year. The volunteers are incredible.

Also, huge respect to the soldier who I saw running the half or full marathon in full army gear including boots with a heavy looking backpack in aid of Sophies Journey. Incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Where's the best place to look for photos of the run? Richard Lynch's site has over 1000 pictures up, but a lot of those were of groups at the starting line or marathon runners finishing. I couldn't find myself in any of them, so I'm hoping some of the other photographers might have snapped me during the race!

12000 people did the run. I wasn't one of them but I drove passed them in Dooradoyle on my way to Cork yesterday morning. Yes, there was litter during and after the event but that is to be expected after an event like that. I left Limerick from my house in Dooradoyle at around 11 am for Cork and and was back home at roughly 3 pm. It was like nothing had happened when I returned. Streets cleared, fences removed etc. By all means, voice your anger to the council but I hope you realize that this event is one of the best things that happens in this city every year. The volunteers are incredible.

Also, huge respect to the soldier who I saw running the half or full marathon in full army gear including boots with a heavy looking backpack in aid of Sophies Journey. Incredible.

I have no issue with the run - where did you get that from?

I have an issue with litter being left around the city after an event. The run is a business event for the organisers - if any other business left the city strewn with rubbish it wouldn't be acceptable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Best day weather wise and the bar in the park closed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

An File wrote: »
    Where's the best place to look for photos of the run? Richard Lynch's site has over 1000 pictures up, but a lot of those were of groups at the starting line or marathon runners finishing. I couldn't find myself in any of them, so I'm hoping some of the other photographers might have snapped me during the race!

The GLR will email you a link with photos of yourself in the run and at or near the finish line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

I have an issue with litter being left around the city after an event. The run is a business event for the organisers - if any other business left the city strewn with rubbish it wouldn't be acceptable.

The mess left behind by the market traders on the streets every Saturday is unacceptable and never commented on here.
    For years the debris was turning up on Patrick's Street, Cruises Street and Arthur's Quay.

The road is closed for a period of time during and after the race, once reopened the bottles are collected.

What time did you see the litter?

I was in town yesterday evening and can't say I noticed too much litter that you could say was there because of the race.

phog wrote: »
    The road is closed for a period of time during and after the race, once reopened the bottles are collected.

What time did you see the litter?

I was in town yesterday evening be can't say I noticed too much little that you say was there because of the race.

This morning at 11am- all along the north circular road - the entire loop is covered in rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

bigpink wrote:
    Best day weather wise and the bar in the park closed

Chez le fab is always closed on a Monday as far as I'm aware. Also, they were brilliant for all of Riverfest and had a fire show on until quite late last night. There was huge crowds there and it was great to see them doing so well.

I am well and truely wrecked after my weekend in Limerick! Was great fun from start to finish. Had a great time doing the half marathon yesterday. The support along the route was incredible and there was a great buzz around last night. Cracking weekend, though the weather did help enormously.

This morning at 11am- all along the north circular road - the entire loop is covered in rubbish.

That sounds a tad casual from whomever is responsible, a few hours is acceptable but leaving it there overnight is close to giving the 2 fingers to the residents.

phog wrote: »
    That sounds a tad casual from whomever is responsible, a few hours is acceptable but leaving it there overnight is close to giving the 2 fingers to the residents.

Exactly. I doubt anyone was coming to clean it.

• Advertisement

I never said that you had an issue with the run. Where did YOU get that from? I merely highlighted the fact that its a fantastic event and that we should be grateful for being in a position to have it. The city was booming yesterday. Events like the GLR are big. They attract thousands of people. Litter in inevitable for such an occasion. Is that litter still there from where you are? As good as the volunteers are, they are not litter ninjas.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Usually finisherpix.com
    They're not up yet as far as I can see, but you can search by bib number. Costs a bit to download or print though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I know that some local sports clubs were paid money to provide volunteers. I did it one year and we actually spent a lot of time collecting rubbish from that same area that Parchment is talking about. It was spotless when we left it. Perhaps this year the volunteers weren't as interested but if that's the case then maybe the GLR organisers should withhold some of the money promised to the clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I never said that you had an issue with the run. Where did YOU get that from? I merely highlighted the fact that its a fantastic event and that we should be grateful for being in a position to have it. The city was booming yesterday. Events like the GLR are big. They attract thousands of people. Litter in inevitable for such an occasion. Is that litter still there from where you are? As good as the volunteers are, they are not litter ninjas.

Litter should never be "inevitable", no matter what the occasion.

chicorytip wrote: »
    Litter should never be "inevitable", no matter what the occasion.

In an ideal world, yes. But we're far from an ideal world unfortunately so we have to make do with whats given to us. It was a run ffs. The money and awareness it raised for various charities/groups is invaluable in the long run (no pun intended). I'm on your side when it comes to littering but we have to make exceptions from time to time. The planet will rock on as normal after yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

at 11.15 yesterday I went from Ennis Road out to UL and back to city centre to the Condel Road and only saw one discarded water bottle, no gel packets, no clothing discarded. I was impressed to be honest. I didn't hit the NCR but while I know its a commercial enterprise and the organisers should have cleaned up, I know if it was in my area I'd have been out collecting the rubbish, as would most of my neighbours. sometimes people have to do a bit of cleaning up themselves if they don't want their own neighbourhood littered. thought it was a great weekend for Limerick, blessed the weather was so good

The concert and the fireworks were both class last night. I dunno where that weather came from for the run, but it was glorious. Great day for the Great Run.

How did you get on in the Half Marathon An File? Was it a PB :pac:

panda100 wrote: »
    How did you get on in the Half Marathon An File? Was it a PB :pac:

I was delighted with it. Finished just off my target. Chip time of 2:10:18. My all-time PB is 1:54:55, but I was nearly 10 kilos lighter back then. Still, it's way faster than the 2:16:45 I did last September in Dingle. Getting stronger and faster again. :)

How did you find it yourself?

I was delighted with it. Finished just off my target. Chip time of 2:10:18. My all-time PB is 1:54:55, but I was nearly 10 kilos lighter back then. Still, it's way faster than the 2:16:45 I did last September in Dingle. Getting stronger and faster again. :)

That's great. Congrats :) I stuck with the 2 hour pacers the whole way. They were so much fun and there was great banter among the group. Finished in 1.58 so i was delighted with that. It was a lovely run because there was such great support the whole way. Definitely planning on doing the full marathon next year now :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

panda100 wrote: »
    That's great. Congrats :) I stuck with the 2 hour pacers the whole way. They were so much fun and there was great banter among the group. Finished in 1.58 so i was delighted with that. It was a lovely run because there was such great support the whole way. Definitely planning on doing the full marathon next year now :)

Congrats to both of you, I also finished the half in 2:03. Wanted to get under 2:05 so happy out. I was actually in and around the 2h pacer up until mile 10 but couldn't keep the pace comfortably. A little disappointed I didn't put the head down but I was mentally all over the shop.

Shaping up nicely for an assault on Dublin Marathon in October :)

Advertisement