Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hap scheme cohabiting

Options
  • 26-04-2017 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I will be renting a house through hap scheme I'm moving in next Friday. Although I want my daughter settled first I'm hoping to move my boyfriend in eventually. Does anybody know how I go about adding himself to my hap application? And will payment etc be stop while it processes as the rent is way too high to pay myself on a part time wage. I want to do everything properly and legitimately but I don't know how to go about it? Do I go to the social welfare first to come off lone parent or do that when he moves in? Or do I go to council first and add him and inform the social welfare before he moves in to stop my single parent payment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭TresGats

Is your partner working, as this will influence your HAP payment amount? Have you mentioned your plans to your Landlord?
    Maybe call threshold or Citizens advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Aoifeplunkett1

TresGats wrote: »
    Is your partner working, as this will influence your HAP payment amount? Have you mentioned your plans to your Landlord?
    Maybe call threshold or Citizens advice.

Hi thanks for your reply. Yes her works full time. I'm aware it will be deducted ten percent of our combined wages which is fine. I want away from social welfare and now he has offered to give the stability of providing for us so I can stay part time and care for my daughter on my days off it seems like we should go ahead. Yes the landlord was always aware of him moving in eventually but we want it all done through the books and properly before he moves in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

As far as I know, even if one person works full time, you cannot qualify for rental support, this was the case with rent allowance, so not entirely sure if it is the same for HAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Monife wrote: »
    As far as I know, even if one person works full time, you cannot qualify for rental support, this was the case with rent allowance, so not entirely sure if it is the same for HAP.

It's not. That is one of the key differences. They can work away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Monife wrote: »

It's not the same for HAP, people who are in full-time employment can qualify for HAP if they are on the council housing list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

January wrote: »
    It's not the same for HAP, people who are in full-time employment can qualify for HAP if they are on the council housing list.

Yes, on foot of the post above yours I did a bit of research. Apparently to get on the housing list you have to prove that you cannot provide housing for yourself. But in most cases where someone works full time, surely they could provide housing for themselves, even on minimum wage, you just downgrade your expectations. This confuses me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Someone working full time on the minimum wage with a family would struggle to pay rent in many areas.
    In Dublin rent prices are crazy and not everyone is on a wage that they could afford to pay rent and food.

Advertisement