Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joey Barton banned for 18 months

2»

Comments

Seems harsh, but the rules were there and I assume he signed up to adhere by these rules as a pro?

How did he get away with it for so long? Just luck? and how was he caught?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Daledge wrote: »
    Of course not, but why should they? They haven't got any previous offences for breaching FA regulations?

Is that how the FA judiciary works, taking into account previous?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Daledge wrote:
    Of course not, but why should they? They haven't got any previous offences for breaching FA regulations?

If a present English int ,with previous did the same?

SlickRic wrote: »
    Spot on tweet from Gary Lineker.

"I'm now looking forward to @FA clamping down on betting company adverts or sponsorship in football."

That's a different argument though surely?

A valid one for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

What's the point in fining somebody ?30,000 when you've just ended their career.

Why would he pay it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

What I'd like to know is if someone like Kane/Rashford/Clyne did something similar,how long would they get. Certainly not 18maths I'm. At the same time it's only Barton

Joey has got a rap sheet as long as your arm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

A medical report detail his addiction to gambling wasn't taken into proper consideration according to Joey Barton.
    Joey Barton is a grown man, taking responsibility for his own failings is probably something he should give some thought to.

Joey Barton seems like a bright intellectually engaged individual, albeit one with zero self control and a moral compass that would appear to have a magnet stuck right underneath it.

Silly man gets his comeuppance end of story.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Well the Sutton goalkeeper resigned after his pie stunt and that was betting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Because it's Barton it will likely be brushed aside but his statement made some spot on points about the gambling culture in football, and the double standards at play here with his sentence but yet the sponsorship revenue taking by the FA and the Premier League along with clubs from gambling companies, along with companies like Sky and BT bombarding viewers with gambling ads constantly. Now at the point where Sky don't even show the initial handshake between players before kickoff, instead a Bet365 overlay.

It's ridiculous.

I've massive sympathy for him here. Sure his character and history does him no favours, but if more players stepped out of the robotic assembly line to raise a "sorry, I don't think this is right" the game would probably be in a better place. He's consistently made valid and good points and topics for debate in recent years brushed aside because of who he is.

Also an 18month ban is laughable if the facts presented in his statement are in fact true, like,genuinely laughable from the FA. Football really needs to get itself a moral compass and work out severities and priorities for various offences.

• Advertisement

nullzero wrote: »
    A medical report detail his addiction to gambling wasn't taken into proper consideration according to Joey Barton.
    Joey Barton is a grown man, taking responsibility for his own failings is probably something he should give some thought to.

Joey Barton seems like a bright intellectually engaged individual, albeit one with zero self control and a moral compass that would appear to have a magnet stuck right underneath it.

Silly man gets his comeuppance end of story.

That is along the lines of telling an alcoholic" get a grip of yourself" and borderline one of the most retarded things I've seen posted.

Unless I've totally misunderstood your post, you have basically just ridiculed addiction, and addictive personality disorders, as pie in the sky stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

http://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/scottish-premiership/2016-2017/the-life-and-crimes-of-joey-barton-but-is-he-football-s-biggest-bad-boy_sto5860687/story.shtml

Reading this, he's been lucky for so long with very little to complain about. Think the FA are trying to get rid of him for good now. He's had more lives then most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,794 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Look at horse racing '' The sport of Kings'' look at all the obvious throwing of racing by owners, trainers and jockeys. The game is the most corrupt sport on the planet.
    There is a lot of dodgy stuff going on with horse racing, but if you step out of line in anyway when it comes to betting and are caught then you will have the book thrown at you in a big way. Loads of jockeys and owners have been caught and some of the bans can be seriously tough (Fergal Lynch effectively had a 6 year ban, Eddie Ahern got 10 years, etc).

Considering that Joey Barton has admitted he was betting against his own team, I think an 18 month ban is fair, and if anything, maybe a little lenient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Laois_Man wrote: »
    What's the point in fining somebody ?30,000 when you've just ended their career.

Why would he pay it?

Maybe not paying it would affect his chances of getting coaching badges, going on FA coaching courses etc if that's the way he sees his post playing career going.
    If he wants a career in media then presumably if he didn't pay the fine he could be barred from accreditation at all grounds.

So he'll probably pay it whilst technically not having to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

TheDoc wrote: »

Unless I've totally misunderstood your post, you have basically just ridiculed addiction, and addictive personality disorders, as pie in the sky stuff?

I think he was ridiculing Joey Barton, not people with addiction problems in general.

I think when anyone in the public eye has a fondness for quoting Nietzsche, then people can raise an eyebrow when the same claim extenuating circumstance that resolves them of all personal responsibility.

°°°°°

That is along the lines of telling an alcoholic" get a grip of yourself" and borderline one of the most retarded things I've seen posted.

Addiction to gambling?
    What chemical compound not found in the human body is at play in gambling addiction?

I'm not ridiculing anything, but to be honest the only thing at play with gambling addiction is self control or the lack there of, poor Joey Barton none of this was his fault.

If you want to run with that and say I'm being insensitive go right ahead.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Because it's Barton it will likely be brushed aside but his statement made some spot on points about the gambling culture in football, and the double standards at play here with his sentence but yet the sponsorship revenue taking by the FA and the Premier League along with clubs from gambling companies, along with companies like Sky and BT bombarding viewers with gambling ads constantly. Now at the point where Sky don't even show the initial handshake between players before kickoff, instead a Bet365 overlay.

It's ridiculous.

I've massive sympathy for him here. Sure his character and history does him no favours, but if more players stepped out of the robotic assembly line to raise a "sorry, I don't think this is right" the game would probably be in a better place. He's consistently made valid and good points and topics for debate in recent years brushed aside because of who he is.

Also an 18month ban is laughable if the facts presented in his statement are in fact true, like,genuinely laughable from the FA. Football really needs to get itself a moral compass and work out severities and priorities for various offences.

I agree with a lot of what he said on the gambling side for sure. But it's a lot easier to say that in a statement after been given his ban. He's brought up points in the past that I'd agree with but he's defended himself almost to a laughable point at times as well. It's a lot harder to take stuff seriously in a statement after you have been banned as some form of rebel yell from an assembly line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Outrageous length.

Regardless of your opinion of him, and I hold a negative one, I wouldn't like to see someone forced into retirement for not a whole lot really on this occasion.

I presume they'll be scaling back their association with gambling too :rolleyes:.

Addiction to gambling?
    What chemical compound not found in the human body is at play in gambling addiction?

I'm not ridiculing anything, but to be honest the only thing at play with gambling addiction is self control or the lack there of, poor Joey Barton none of this was his fault.

If you want to run with that and say I'm being insensitive go right ahead.

Not so much insensitive, just poorly informed how addiction, addictive impulses and addictive personality disorders work to be honest.

If you're questioning if Barton has any of these as he claims then that is totally fine. Sorry just get a bit aggrieved at comments when it comes to certain types of addiction like its just an excuse for someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

As context...

Suarez racism - 8 game ban
    Thatcher on Pedro Mendes - 9 games
    Di Canio ref push - 11 games
    Cantona kung fu - 9 months
    Barton gambling - 18 months

Is this not a bit mental?

Ridiculous - he made some bad decisions as a young man, far from perfect now , but he is human ??

The FA love this kind of puritanism , whilst bombarding the watching public with never-ending gambling Adds ,(as post above states) .

But perspective is something the FA know nothing about , want the game played by unemotional robots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Whatever about the length of the punishment I just don't get people bringing in the advertisements for gambling as part of the argument.

It's not the fact that he was gambling, it's the context of of the gambling that is being punished.

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

Not so much insensitive, just poorly informed how addiction, addictive impulses and addictive personality disorders work to be honest.

If you're questioning if Barton has any of these as he claims then that is totally fine. Sorry just get a bit aggrieved at comments when it comes to certain types of addiction like its just an excuse for someone.

I honestly doubt Joey Bartons claims of addiction, the guy has no control over himself, lest we forget his past behaviour with regard to assaulting people etc...
    Joey Barton has issues no doubt, he's either a psychopath or a narcissist, he shows signs of both and is wiley enough to fall into the narcissist bracket, nothing is his fault, never has been and never will be some outside agency is at fault and the bould Joey is never accountable.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    He bet on himself as first goalscorer in a game he played in. FFS. What a dope.

Added incentive to try and score.
    I'd be more concerned if he was betting on himself to score an OG or miss a penalty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

I remember Charlie Adams scoring against Liverpool and running to crowd making the ''money money money'' signal with his hands. He obviously had a bet on himself to score.
    It was so obvious, I duno why it was never picked up on.

Could have had a bet with the lads. Maybe the Liverpool fans were taking the piss of his time at Liverpool and he was merely pointing out how much he got paid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Spot on tweet from Gary Lineker.

"I'm now looking forward to @FA clamping down on betting company adverts or sponsorship in football."

Says a man in employed, on an extremely generous contract, by the only TV company who aren't reliant on advertising.

It's nearly as if Gary and the BBC would stand to benefit from less money pouring into Sky's coughers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

As context...

Suarez racism - 8 game ban
    Thatcher on Pedro Mendes - 9 games
    Di Canio ref push - 11 games
    Cantona kung fu - 9 months
    Barton gambling - 18 months

Is this not a bit mental?

you forgot Rio Ferdinand, 8 MONTHS for missing a drug test, did it 2 days later and passed. Other players failed drug tests and did only a few weeks. was a crazy ban and only because he was a high profile player at man utd

I honestly doubt Joey Bartons claims of addiction, the guy has no control over himself, lest we forget his past behaviour with regard to assaulting people etc...
    Joey Barton has issues no doubt, he's either a psychopath or a narcissist, he shows signs of both and is wiley enough to fall into the narcissist bracket, nothing is his fault, never has been and never will be some outside agency is at fault and the bould Joey is never accountable.

Let me know if you move into the field of psychology. I'd be fascinated by your work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

If a present English int ,with previous did the same?

How long did rio get for missing a drugs test and he had no previous?

In fact he was well respected and didn't fail. Just missed it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Added incentive to try and score.
    I'd be more concerned if he was betting on himself to score an OG or miss a penalty.

Except that it adds a dimension that shouldn't be there. Maybe in the moment, he shoots instead of squaring the ball for a tap in because of this bet. Maybe he pushes himself ahead of the designated free-kick taker or pen taker to have a chance.

It opens his actions up to question, which is exactly why gambling on football is prohibited for players.

Honestly, I have trouble having any sympathy for him. I have to ask myself how i'd feel if it was some random player i'd never heard of committing the same offence, and getting the same penalty... I have to say, the sheer scale of what he was doing is enough that this penalty wouldn't surprise me for any player, controversial or not. It's not a few bets - he broke the FA's law over a thousand times.

If you break a rule over a thousand times, especially one that potentially calls the validity of results into question in any way, I think you have to expect a massive penalty.

Hard one to call. The sheer number and the fact that they extended over so long, included betting against his teammates, and his previous might all have counted strongly against him.

There is however one bizarre aspect, the game has no problem whatsoever with betting companies sponsoring teams, and in England it seems very popular. There is an inherent contradiction.

Hard one to call. The sheer number and the fact that they extended over so long, included betting against his teammates, and his previous might all have counted strongly against him.

There is however one bizarre aspect, the game has no problem whatsoever with betting companies sponsoring teams, and in England it seems very popular. There is an inherent contradiction.

Not really... they have no problem with gambling at all. The gambling ban on players is to preserve the integrity of the game. They're quite happy for him to bet on literally any other sport or event he likes

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Not really... they have no problem with gambling at all. The gambling ban on players is to preserve the integrity of the game. They're quite happy for him to bet on literally any other sport or event he likes

I'm not sure I get the issue if he was betting on other games though. He's hardly going to influence games in which he's not involved. I fully get the problem in games that involve him playing, or even his club where he might know of things like injuries that were not released to the media. But even at that, I'm not sure I see the problem with a player betting in favour of himself or his teammates. In many countries, a jockey is allowed to bet on himself.

Either way, rules are rules, so while I think the ban is heavy my sympathy is limited.

The obvious way around it is just to give money to a friend, so to be caught doing it is remarkably stupid.

I'm not sure I get the issue if he was betting on other games though. He's hardly going to influence games in which he's not involved. I fully get the problem in games that involve him playing, or even his club where he might know of things like injuries that were not released to the media. But even at that, I'm not sure I see the problem with a player betting in favour of himself or his teammates. In many countries, a jockey is allowed to bet on himself.

Either way, rules are rules, so while I think the ban is heavy my sympathy is limited.

The obvious way around it is just to give money to a friend, so to be caught doing it is remarkably stupid.

I know what you mean to an extent, but they made the decision a long time ago to simply have a no tolerance policy and banned it outright. And I think thats definately the right decision. It's akin to insider trading if one were to take the League as the company to which they all belong (which is obviously illegal).

The footballing world is a small one. Players move around a lot. A guy could very easily still have some influence over a game in which he's not involved. Yeah, in most cases maybe they won't, but the only way to really have transparency is to enact a blanket ban. Which he broke over a thousand times. I actually cant get over the fact that he did that... just lunacy. It's like he was hoping he'd get caught.

°°°°°

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Let me know if you move into the field of psychology. I'd be fascinated by your work.

Oh thanks... Hang on you didn't mean that at all!

Glazers Out!

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I know what you mean to an extent, but they made the decision a long time ago to simply have a no tolerance policy and banned it outright. And I think thats definately the right decision. It's akin to insider trading if one were to take the League as the company to which they all belong (which is obviously illegal).

The footballing world is a small one. Players move around a lot. A guy could very easily still have some influence over a game in which he's not involved. Yeah, in most cases maybe they won't, but the only way to really have transparency is to enact a blanket ban. Which he broke over a thousand times. I actually cant get over the fact that he did that... just lunacy. It's like he was hoping he'd get caught.

I was thinking of the insider trading thing too. Know of a certain high profile jockey who had a famous reputation for being just phenomenal with tips, and if you did him a favour or had a few drinks with him he'd pretty much tell you who to put money on...which was all gas craic and all, but not fair on the punters who were outting their hard earned and looking at form.

And agree about the lunacy, when it's so easy to get around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

He bet on games where he was in the starting xi FFS........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

bangkok wrote: »
    you forgot Rio Ferdinand, 8 MONTHS for missing a drug test, did it 2 days later and passed. Other players failed drug tests and did only a few weeks. was a crazy ban and only because he was a high profile player at man utd

To this day, that was a stupid clearly targeted ban

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

irishman86 wrote: »
    To this day, that was a stupid clearly targeted ban

As in aimed at anyone daft enough to miss a drugs test?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

Not sure if mentioned but I would say a lot of other players are bricking it right now and deleting accounts all over the shop.

Advertisement