Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on when the next property crash may happen

Options
  • 26-04-2017 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭

Im thinking soonish, especially in the city. Basically if you were doing a wager now, do you think house X in city would be worth more or less in 5 years.

For me, 20% less

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Im thinking soonish, especially in the city. Basically if you were doing a wager now, do you think house X in city would be worth more or less in 5 years.

For me, 20% less

Curb in supply is propping up house values, purposefully done in my opinion. Cough politicians property portfolios***

If houses start to get built in significant volume I can see an adjustment in relation to this and prices will go down. That's a big if currently though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The effects of Brexit may see things go in either direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

The truth is, nobody really knows how the whole thing will go on. At the moment there are so many if's and Factors outside of our hands that there is no real prediction of how this current mess will turn out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

20% less in five years time isn't a crash it's what you'd hope would happen from the supply side. Brexit is the first stumbling block. If that goes tots up for us 50% off current values - not that it will matter, no one will be selling.

Interest rates are another, coupled with supply, we might see a sudden drop of 20% but that will be on levels 5-7 years hence so will still be higher than today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

Dublin relative to most other first world cities is at the lower end of the scale in terms of property cost. As the economy grows and stabilises who's to say there will be any short to medium term crash. Reckless lending and naieve borrowing created the last crash world wide. Banks are stress tested more than ever now. From what I hear, CBI are demanding more and more regulatory reporting from financial institutions. This is exactly the structure the lending and property sectors need to ensure an incrementally growth phase rather than the crash and boom policies of years gone by.

People seem to think that spiralling house prices means people are borrowing beyond their means again. This is not necessarily true. The population is growing, jobs are growing, salaries are growing and people who want to live in urban areas can afford to, while those who cant are unfortunately been squeezed out.

There is no telling what the future holds but as an economy we should be hoping for stability rather than trying to predict downturns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

morrga wrote: »
    Dublin relative to most other first world cities is at the lower end of the scale in terms of property cost. .

What makes you think that?

Amstelveen, suburb of amsterdam ( 10 km perfect public transport
    http://www.funda.nl/koop/amstelveen/appartement-49171483-eikenrodelaan-83/

similar property in santry

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/santry/11-knightswood-santry-dublin-1437640/

Berlin
    https://www.immonet.de/angebot/30835034?drop=sel&related=false

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

and what reasoning/calculations do you have to support your 20% reduction :rolleyes:

every significant property crash globally has involved cheap credit to cause the boom.

that's not happening in Ireland, even though we've relaxed the CB rules there is still sensible lending going on the past few years.

the surge in prices is simply supply and demand. the supply is creeping up slowly but with an increasing population the demand is always going to keep going up and surpass supply.

therefore all we can hope for is price increases ease back, but no I don't think there's going to be any kind of crash at all.

What are the sizes of the first two there?

• Advertisement

London, Paris, New York, Sydney I was more thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

What's the definition of "first world city"? Newcastle? Bristol? Berlin? Athens? Dallas?

and what reasoning/calculations do you have to support your 20% reduction :rolleyes:

every significant property crash globally has involved cheap credit to cause the boom.

that's not happening in Ireland, even though we've relaxed the CB rules there is still sensible lending going on the past few years.

the surge in prices is simply supply and demand. the supply is creeping up slowly but with an increasing population the demand is always going to keep going up and surpass supply.

therefore all we can hope for is price increases ease back, but no I don't think there's going to be any kind of crash at all.

There is sensible lending alright.But what you don't see/take into account is that the houses financed won't keep their value.They aren't built to last. I remeber renting a semi-d in Cork/ballincollig at the height of the boom and I was thinking of buying it.they wanted over 500k if I recall correct.And you could drive a hammer through any of the walls except the main ones with near no force.The interior walls were paper thin.I couldn't believe how much the owner wanted for it...and am so glad I never bought a house.Never will either. Irish property is overvalued. Thats whats going to cause the crash.

Really? comparing dublin with any of those?? :pac::pac:
    uhm...>smh<

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

There is sensible lending alright.But what you don't see/take into account is that the houses financed won't keep their value.They aren't built to last. I remeber renting a semi-d in Cork/ballincollig at the height of the boom and I was thinking of buying it.they wanted over 500k if I recall correct.And you could drive a hammer through any of the walls except the main ones with near no force.The interior walls were paper thin.I couldn't believe how much the owner wanted for it...and am so glad I never bought a house.Never will either. Irish property is overvalued. Thats whats going to cause the crash.

Aren't you living in Leitrim though? :pac:

(To be perfectly honest, I envy you so much living there, I would go in a heartbeat but everyone else is like NO)

Ah right. The most expensive cities in the world. Dublin (pop 1M) should be compared to these? Why?

And the wheel is coming off Sydney and London

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

A property is worth what the market is willing to pay. People are desperate to buy here, a combination of social pressures and the cost and difficulties of renting. Irish people will always place a very high value on property, and the actual build quality will not affect the price that can be achieved to any great extent. Certainly not enough to cause a property crash.

• Advertisement

Ah right. The most expensive cities in the world. Dublin (pop 1M) should be compared to these? Why?

And the wheel is coming off Sydney and London

Yes after a very long time with out a crash. My point been short to medium term Ireland should be ok.

We still have cheap credit you know. At least historically. The limit doesn't affect that.

LirW wrote: »
    Aren't you living in Leitrim though? :pac:

(To be perfectly honest, I envy you so much living there, I would go in a heartbeat but everyone else is like NO)

I am indeed. But I lived in Amsterdam,Munich,Brussels,hamburg and Berlin in my non hermit years.Oh and Dublin and cork. And those experiences are the main reason I'm now living in the middle of no where..;-)

What's the definition of "first world city"? Newcastle? Bristol? Berlin? Athens? Dallas?

Opinion. Freedom of speech.

What's the definition of a bell...... pedantic pat.

A property is worth what the market is willing to pay. People are desperate to buy here, a combination of social pressures and the cost and difficulties of renting. Irish people will always place a very high value on property, and the actual build quality will not affect the price that can be achieved to any great extent. Certainly not enough to cause a property crash.

I'd be willing to bet that property prices are coming down massively in the inflated places in the country in the next 24 month...wait and see..:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

That is called dry lining and most modern houses are built this way. It generally shouldn't affect the longevity of a house ahead of other factors like genuine structural issues.

So I'm not convinced on the Netherlands - looks fairly similar to me.

London, Paris, New York.. err :)

However Oxford, Manchester, Belfast, or regional capitals in France, Germany perhaps. But I think that Dublin is probably middling - it's certainly not as mental as some places!

Selik wrote: »
    That is called dry lining and most modern houses are built this way. It generally shouldn't affect the longevity of a house ahead of other factors like genuine structural issues.

Might be In dublin and cork. Never seen that happening in any of the other cities I lived in.or have visited as recently as last year....but hey...if you are of the opinion that a house that can be huffed and puffed over by the next big storm is worth 300 grand or more...be my guest. Ain't my money. :D
    either way we're off topic.As outlined, those are my reasons to predict the next crash within 24 month.:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

People are always informed by the last thing that happened.

There doesn't have to be a crash; prices could fall a little bit, then shuffle sideways and then go back up again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭SeanSouth

Crashes only happen when there is an over-supply of houses and no demand.

At the moment we have the opposite, Much demand and no supply. There's no
    crashes on the horizon but there are increasing amounts of people with no houses
    so the situation will get a lot worse before it gets a lot better

What needs to happen to correct the current situation is for more houses to be built. But here's the problem. The problem arises because all new houses must be A rated Rolls Royce and not D rated Ford Focus as most of the existing housing stock is. If the builder builds a high standard Rolls Royce as is required by the building regulations, he wont be able to achieve enough margin to make it worthwhile. So there is a stalemate. The fact that the government is insisting on taking 13.5% vat on top and the local authority and Irish water are clawing in excessive levies to feather their own nests means that its just not feasable to build.

The government wont withdraw the levies or taxes because some clever civil
    servant has said that the money will go to the builders instead. The civil servant
    is absolutely right however this is irrelevant as the main objective is to get
    the houses built. Market forces and finance restrictions will keep the prices under
    control. The developer wont build unless he can sell within the 1st time buyer's affordability level

A crash cant happen unless there is some 'air' between the cost of building and the price of the house. There is no 'air' at the moment. To build a 3 bed semi detached house in Dublin costs around 400,000 on average depending on the area. The maths dont work.

Here's what the government needs to do to get building moving

1) All taxes, levies and local authority charges need to be abolished for
    new builds in Dublin Cork, Limerick and Galway for a finite period of five years.
    The five year stipulation will draw out builders in force and we will get houses
    built quickly and where they are needed.
    2) Building Regulations need to be relaxed so that, not only A rating houses are
    allowed but also B rating and C rating too. A, C rated house is still a very fine house but is much cheaper and more affordable
    3) The planning system needs to be dragged into the new millenium and the
    old inflexible and archaic system needs to be abolished

Advertisement