Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bike Query - BH G6 Pro or Ultralight

Options
  • 26-04-2017 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

I'm considering a new frameset (old one damaged and written off). I have decent wheels and a 10 speed Ultegra di2 groupset.

I'm considering either a BH G6 Pro or a BH Ultralight. First is an aero bike and the second is a climbing bike.

Ultralight
    https://www.bhbikes.com/en/bicycles/road/ultralight-ultegra-di2-lr857.html

G6 Pro
    https://www.bhbikes.com/en/bicycles/road/g6-pro-ultegra-di2-lr557.html

I'm not a racer, nor a mountain goat and I'm leaning towards aesthetics, meaning I love the look of the aero G6. But, is it worth the weight, etc. to get an aero bike. Will a climbing bike just be a better all rounder?

I'm totally over thinking this of course, since all I do are group rides and sportives.

Would love some opinions though
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭joey100

Looks like they are both light bikes. YEah the superlight is lighter but the aero one seems to be around 850grams for the frame too so is a light bike. I'd say you would probably be looking at around 400/500g difference after you use your own wheels and groupset. I'd go with which ever you prefer the look of, if you bought the super light because it was lighter and someone cycled passed on the aero would you be jealous?

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Worth bearing in mind that the Aero one has direct mounted brakes. So you might need new brakes?

Would the aero bike be stiffer? Which would be more comfortable to ride?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

You make a good point.

Half a kilo makes no difference. My own personal weight would fluctuate by a kilo or more anyway.

Someone passing me on an aero....it won't be the bike, it'll be ability. So yeah, this comes down to the look and my own personal preference.

Although one more thought.....are aero bikes any more or less comfortable?

gaffmaster wrote: »
    Worth bearing in mind that the Aero one has direct mounted brakes. So you might need new brakes?

Would the aero bike be stiffer? Which would be more comfortable to ride?

Yes, the LBS will give me a set of 105 direct mount brakes for the Aero bike for free.

I've read that the ultralight is super stiff. The geometry looks similar and so comfort could be similar. I just don't know.

Frame cost of each is about the same.

What type of wheels do you have? Personally, I think aero bikes only look good with aero wheels.

• Advertisement

gaffmaster wrote: »
    What type of wheels do you have? Personally, I think aero bikes only look good with aero wheels.

I have 42mm depth wheels....black

Deep enough, I reckon!

But it's totally down to your preference. Buy the one you like the look of most. It'll probably lead you to cycle it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If your looking for random opinions then I think the aerobike wins it on looks.

If your looking for random opinions then I think the aerobike wins it on looks.

Random works :)

I'm leaning that way alright

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sherlok

Just to add another random opinion - i really like the simplicity of the ultralight.

They're both nice looking bikes IMO. Good luck with your decision!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Another random opinion favouring the ultralight.

Would it be as simple as to do a 2 out of 3 coin toss?

Another random opinion favouring the ultralight.

Would it be as simple as to do a 2 out of 3 coin toss?

Why the ultralight?

A toin coss....no I might regret the result, which only tells me that there's a favourite....which is based on looks.

At my standard, looks may be the only thing that matters

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

another vote here for the ultralight, based purely on looks.

does the aero come with the seatpost supplied?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

I personally think that the Ultralight is a nicer looking machine.

But in your OP you have said that you prefer the look of the aero.

Which one does your heart tell you to buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭nilhg

If you can't decide, then the only option is buy both of them, best of both worlds then, and twice the incentive to get out on your bike(s):pac:

another vote here for the ultralight, based purely on looks.

does the aero come with the seatpost supplied?

Seatpost and fork I presumed. Might need to double check that.

nilhg wrote: »
    If you can't decide, then the only option is buy both of them, best of both worlds then, and twice the incentive to get out on your bike(s):pac:

Great idea.....ride the aero for the flats and then have the ultralight in the support car for when the road tilts up a little bit. Piss everyone off and swap bikes constantly hahaha.

Advertisement