Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rh Neg mam and Rh Positive dad

Options
  • 26-04-2017 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

I'm O- blood type and my husband told me that he THINKS he is O+. Is there some risk to my body rejecting the baby if she has O+ blood? do I need to get an injection?

I'm 22 weeks now. Do I need to get my husband in to the doctor to check his blood type?

This is my first ever pregnancy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭littlebsci

Hi Starface, I'm rhesus negative too and got a leaflet on this yesterday. Summarising from it:

At 28 weeks pregnant you'll be offered an anti-D injection to prevent your body parts antibodies which may injure baby during this or future pregnancies.

When baby is born his/her blood will be tested and if it's rhesus positive you'll be given an anti-D injection.

During your pregnancy if you need or have an accident which results in a serious bump to your bump you'll also be given the anti-D.

I'd say the best bet is to talk to your primary carer about it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭starface

littlebsci wrote: »
    Hi Starface, I'm rhesus negative too and got a leaflet on this yesterday. Summarising from it:

At 28 weeks pregnant you'll be offered an anti-D injection to prevent your body parts antibodies which may injure baby during this or future pregnancies.

When baby is born his/her blood will be tested and if it's rhesus positive you'll be given an anti-D injection.

During your pregnancy if you need or have an accident which results in a serious bump to your bump you'll also be given the anti-D.

I'd say the best bet is to talk to your primary carer about it though!

Thank you. This was really helpful. I'm gonna say it to my doctor but I'm not in again with her for two weeks. By the sound of it though unless I bump my bump or are bleeding I'll be okay waiting and saying it to her then.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭littlebsci

Yeah, that sounds about right! If you bleed or have an accident I was told to go straight to my maternity hospital's emergency dept to get the anti-D.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dove2011

Yes I am rhesus negative too; the midwife told me that if I fall or get a bump that I am to contact them immediately but otherwise it is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I'm O- and had an A+ baby in January.

As someone said, they'll give you a rhesus injection in the hospital at week 28, and again a day or two after birth if your baby turns out to be rhesus positive. Aside from having to be a bit more careful if you fall or have any bleeds, it's no big deal at all.

There's not much danger to the baby in the first pregnancy, but if you didn't get the rhesus injections at appropriate times in your first pregnancy, then any subsequent rhesus positive pregnancies are at risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I'd actually recommend your husband gets his blood checked. Mine did on my first pregnancy.
    I'm O-, he's O- and our two girls are both O- (as we're both - we're going to produce - babies so the anti D isn't necessary!)
    We're a family of universal blood donators :D, not so ideal if one of us needs blood!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

If you bleed or have an accident. Straight to the maternity hospital. Just as a precaution. Get the injection. It can easily happen, but you will be seen very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭cornflake1

I would recommend that he gets his blood type checked. I am O- and my OH thought he was O+. My baby born last October had haemolytic disease of the newborn (HDN). I presumed it was due to my being rhesus negative and baby positive. I was totally freaked out, given very little info and had to use Google. My mum and sister are O- and had O+ babies with no issues. Also I had understood it couldn't happen with the first born. Anyway turns out it wasn't rhesus HDN but ABO HDN as baby and father were actually B+. ABO HDN can occur in a firstborn. Baby is fine, she was quite jaundiced but got the all clear at two weeks old without treatment. I am hoping there won't be any problems in any future pregnancies.

Advertisement