Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which bank in oz?

• 26-04-2017 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Moving over to oz in next few weeks. Looking to open up a bank account shortly. Any recommendations on which bank to go with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Parapara2017

boxermad wrote: »
    Moving over to oz in next few weeks. Looking to open up a bank account shortly. Any recommendations on which bank to go with?
    I used CBA / commbank. They have a fantastic easy to use app and lots of cool features. Nice savings accounts etc.

Girlfriend was using NAB and was ****ty in comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

Use NAB and find them and their online setup great they are also linked to UBank which are some of the best interest rates you can get if you have any spare cash. Accounts can be linked and makes it easy to use. Thy also have a specuil setup for new arrivals to make your life easier you can setup your account berfore arriving and pick up all your docs once here..........Recommend Currencyfair also for FX ...............Best of luck on the move

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

i'm with ING, but they're online only & i don't think you can sign up with them from overseas.

Which ever bank you choose to begin with, remember it's just a bank and you're not married to them, so don't fuss over it too much. Identify the basics you'll need straight away and go with one:

1) easy access / setup on arrival
    2) plentiful atms (there are fees for using another bank atm network)
    3) easy access to deposit cash

highly recommend currency fair for transferring money, i use them all the time. In your case, NAB seems like an easy safe option that seems to cover what you need, but i've never used them. Personally, i'd avoid ANZ. I was with them before, ****ty atm network.

https://www.finder.com.au/foreigners-open-a-bank-account-in-australia
    https://www.finder.com.au/moving-to-australia/opening-a-bank-account-in-australia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Noo

Yes that's one thing to remember, you get charged for using other banks atms. Im with CBS/Commbank and as well as their own atms they also have free charge for the atms in 7/11s, very handy. Probably not as big an issue as before with eftpos everywhere but worth remembering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

As a general rule just stick with the big boys when you get over and you can't really go wrong. I used NAB, thought they were great and their app is good. Their online banking also has some cool features like budgeting and income/expense breakdowns. On their normal accounts you don't get penalised for things like going overdrawn (might be rules around that) Paywave is ubiquitous around here. I pretty much don't use cash anymore.

I've switched to Suncorp recently for mortgage and insurance purchases.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Commonwealth was easy to open an acc from a month before I arrived there, bank cards were waiting in a selected branch when I turned up with ID.

The app was good and unless someone corrects me I believe that ASB bank in NZ was free charges and a very close conversion rate so very handy for traveling. I reckon ANZ would do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

I can highly recommend ING. They aren't one of the big 4 so in my opinion offer better value.

One of the handiest features is being able to use any ATM without incurring fees. Other banks such as CBA or Westpac will charge you $2 - $3 each time you use an atm that isnt theirs or a partner bank.

If you get referred they have a deal at the moment where both you and the referrer get $100 for signing up.

Send me a PM if you want my code 😄

Good luck with the move!

Advertisement