Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damaged carpet and claim by landlord

Options
  • 26-04-2017 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭

Ive just given notice to move out of my rented apartment and i want to find out how to deal with a situation that im pretty sure the landlord will make a damage claim for.

The carpets in the apartment were probably 1-2 years old when i moved in, slight wear and bits of threads showing around the edges.
    Its a light beige colour and obviously a very cheap carpet.

On the first day i moved in i pushed a couch from its position about 2 meters into the corner after which i noticed a massive cut in the carpet which was caused by a damaged wheel on the couch. The wheel was almost as sharp as a blade.

After many many calls, emails to the landlord they eventually removed the damaged couch after 3 months (it has caused slightly further damage due to it having to be placed somewhere).

I tried to get confirmation that this wouldnt affect by deposit but i could never get any acknowledgement.

Now im moving out and have two questions:

1. Does the landlord have any grounds to charge me for this damage?

2. Since the carpet is beige it obviously needs a clean after living there for 1 year. If the landlord is replacing it anyway can i get away with not cleaning it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

It'll be a wear and tear vs. damage argument. Might go to the RTB but the LL will have no grounds for keeping anything beyond the replacement of the carpet and then even less as it would be taken from the state when you moved in, which of course you took pictures of as no one has any excuse since phones have had cameras.

My advice is try and negotiate with the LL re replacement and cleaning.

Advertisement