Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SKy launches NOW TV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

With the Paddy tax applied.

The entertainment pass is more than twice with the UK pay

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭The Caveman

but, look like uk only?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

but, look like uk only?

No, been in the Uk for years, only just launched in Ireland

Sky Sports monthly pass £34 in the UK. €50 here. Currently £34 = €40, so its a fair mark up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭cc

Is nowtv streamed in HD?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Sky Sports monthly pass £34 in the UK. €50 here. Currently £34 = €40, so its a fair mark up.

Its a bloody rip-off no matter what way you look at it:mad:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Think they will have to do a bit better on price to get people to switch from Netflix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,501 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The attraction of Now TV in Ireland would be for people who want to watch the odd event on Sky Sports (e.g. the British Open golf) but do not want to subscribe to Sky Sports all year round for which Virgin Media will charge you >€40 p.m.

If you pay for Now TV in the UK, one of the ways you can access it is via Apple TV because there is a Now 'channel' on Apple TV if you login with a UK iTunes userid but for some reason, Now have stated that they will not support Apple TV (or Chromecast) for Irish subscribers which means you can't watch it on your TV without the Now TV box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 vrt12

There's a now tv app on the xbox one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

cc wrote: »
    Is nowtv streamed in HD?

720p. Not really noticeable watching TV shows but a definite drop in quality vs HD when watching sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭newleaf

Working OK on iPad 2 but Airplay not working to get it to TV. Working OK on Android App on the Acer Chromebook R11 but won''t work on ordinary Chromebooks or Chromebox; having issues with it on Windows 7 laptop; and won't work on UK sourced NowTV box, even though it's basically the same box -- must be some sort of geoblocking software/firmware. €25 for new 'Dublin Box' as the Sky guy called it when he told me UK box won't work here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭eirman

Will the Irish Now TV box have the RTE Player etc ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

eirman wrote: »
    Will the Irish Now TV box have the RTE Player etc ?

It will need a ROKU app which currently doesn't exist, maybe SKY will help them port their app over though as it would greatly improve the catch up offering of the box which is a large aspect of the UK variant

Its a bloody rip-off no matter what way you look at it:mad:.

My 'it's a fair mark up' comment was probably a bit misleading. Didn't mean it was actually fair (RoI prices for Now TV). Looking at the current €£ exchange rate the RoI prices are quite a bit above where they should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lgs 4

My 'it's a fair markup' comment was probably a bit misleading. Didn't mean it was actually fair (RoI prices for Now TV). Looking at the current €£ exchange rate the RoI prices are quite a bit above where they should be.

What can you expect its Sky rip-off merchants?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Pyro66

newleaf wrote: »
    Working OK on iPad 2 but Airplay not working to get it to TV. Working OK on Android App on the Acer Chromebook R11 but won''t work on ordinary Chromebooks or Chromebox; having issues with it on Windows 7 laptop; and won't work on UK sourced NowTV box, even though it's basically the same box -- must be some sort of geoblocking software/firmware. €25 for new 'Dublin Box' as the Sky guy called it when he told me UK box won't work here.

newleaf... do you think that the problem with using Now TV here on a UK Now TV box is related to the account being Irish or UK, or related to the Irish IP address? Or might it be something else - e.g. bank a/c location??? Any ideas?

Have you tried connecting via a UK IP (VPN or Proxy)? Note that Netflix block use via known VPN exit points. If you don't know, I may be able to test next weekend via Northern Ireland and / or London VPNs.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Okay, we are going into discussing circumventing regional restrictions territory here, which is not allowed

ICDG... Why is discussing this not allowed? I don't believe that it's either illegal or immoral.

Re Now TV / Sky, charging consumers more in one EU jurisdiction than in another for the same goods or service might be considered (by some) to be immoral, unfair, and a bit of a rip off.

I note that Now TV are advertising on Boards so presumably helping fund the service. I hope that this would not influence the moderators judgement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,501 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Pyro66 wrote: »
    Re Now TV / Sky, charging consumers more in one EU jurisdiction than in another for the same goods or service might be considered (by some) to be immoral, unfair, and a bit of a rip off.

+1 The principal of the 'single market' (per the Maastricht agreement) doesn't seem to apply when it comes to TV streaming service.

You can expect a kick in the behind for the first and third paragraphs in your post.

• Advertisement

Pyro66, discussion of moderation is forbidden throughout Boards.

Your insinuation is completely unwarranted, you are well aware that all moderators on Boards.ie (except Staff) do not get one cent in payment and do this as volunteers in our spare time.

I am extremely minded to give you a straight ban given the gravity of the offence. As it is you may stand warned that if you continue to pursue any on thread discussion of moderation you will be banned for one week.

I wasn't suggesting that you personally were receiving any benefit.

Without prejudice, I believe that this if anything, would relate to a breach of contract and not to a criminal act. This is always for a Court to decide.

Pyro66 banned for a week for not heeding my warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Mycro

icdg wrote: »

Your insinuation is completely unwarranted, you are well aware that all moderators on Boards.ie (except Staff) do not get one cent in payment and do this as volunteers in our spare time.

I am extremely minded to give you a straight ban given the gravity of the offence. As it is you may stand warned that if you continue to pursue any on thread discussion of moderation you will be banned for one week.

I'm not one for off-topic chat, but please read posts properly before ranting. There was no insinuation that you were receiving any benefit personally from advertisers. The question was whether or not sponsorship influences editorial (moderation) decisions. It's a valid question.

Moderators would be minded to re-read posts before firing back at posters thus helping keep boards a friendly place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Pyro66 wrote: »

Without prejudice, I believe that this if anything, would relate to a breach of contract and not to a criminal act. This is always for a Court to decide.

You will find that the interpretation of some behaviours vary considerably across Boards.

On some boards it seems that breaking the terms of service is regarded very seriously while on other boards it appears to be 'acceptable' for discussion.

A poster needs to be very aware on which board s/he is posting.

Having formed a view that the thread will not return to topic, it is now being closed.

Testicles also banned for 48 hours for the content of his post. The others who posted above, discussion of moderation is not allowed anywhere on boards and take warnings please.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement