Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any moderation in the radio forum

Options
  • 26-04-2017 5:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering is there any moderation in the radio forum, as far as I can see the charter is broken all day every day.

For example:

No personal abuse of presenter: Happens every day

No personal abuse of callers: Happens every day

No general abuse based on gender, race, age etc etc: Happens every day

Oh and before someone says report posts: Happens every day

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Mod: Moving to help desk.

As you've pointed out yourself, the place to start is reporting offending posts. You can drop a PM to moderators to enquire about actions taken or not taken (but please bear in mind that they are not bound to respond or explain the decision taken). Failing that, you can drop a line to the CMods.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Mod: Moving to help desk.

As you've pointed out yourself, the place to start is reporting offending posts. You can drop a PM to moderators to enquire about actions taken or not taken (but please bear in mind that they are not bound to respond or explain the decision taken). Failing that, you can drop a line to the CMods.

So they're not bound to respond or explain. As a boards employee then can you tell me why personal abuse of presenters and callers is allowed?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Mods in every forum rely on posters to report problem posts, they simply cannot be expected to read everything that's posted in their forums. If there is a culture of abuse in the forum it's simply because nobody is reporting those posts. In the past month 15 posts have been reported in the Radio forum, 3 of them for abuse, and one of those was given a card. I can see that you have reported a grand total of two posts in the forum, one of which was deleted and the poster given a card. So I do think that it's somewhat disingenuous to start a thread complaining about something that you have the power to help stamp out, but for whatever reason have chosen not to do so.

Zaph wrote:
    Mods in every forum rely on posters to report problem posts, they simply cannot be expected to read everything that's posted in their forums. If there is a culture of abuse in the forum it's simply because nobody is reporting those posts. In the past month 15 posts have been reported in the Radio forum, 3 of them for abuse, and one of those was given a card. I can see that you have reported a grand total of two posts in the forum, one of which was deleted and the poster given a card. So I do think that it's somewhat disingenuous to start a thread complaining about something that you have the power to help stamp out, but for whatever reason have chosen not to do so.

Somewhat aggressive answer but if that's what's needed yes that's what I shall do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭jenny smith

The liveline thread has continualabuse of Duffy and his guests. i am no Duffy fan but that is all the thread is about. Anyone reporting posts would be busy. And anyone who would defend Duffy is mocked too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

pilly wrote: »
    Somewhat aggressive answer but if that's what's needed yes that's what I shall do so.

I fail to see how stating the facts is in any way aggressive, but apologies if you took it that way.

jenny smith, all posts in this forum after the OP must be approved before they are made visible, which is why you couldn't see what you had posted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

The liveline thread has continualabuse of Duffy and his guests. i am no Duffy fan but that is all the thread is about. Anyone reporting posts would be busy. And anyone who would defend Duffy is mocked too

I had a quick look at the last few pages of that thread after seeing this and it certainly seems that way, I reported a few and then gave up and thought it easier to reply here.

That there can only be 15 reported posts from a month while I saw 4 or 5 from less than an hours worth of posts seems very strange to me. It's also perhaps not clear what is considered abusive, are sexual references about the presenter abusive or not?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

That thread moves at 400+ posts per hour when the show is on air. Impossible to actively moderate it and there are rarely any posts reported.

We (the Radio mods) certainly actively monitor reported posts and there is a very strict rule against abuse. A lot of what has been reported on foot of this thread has been dealt with. Some of it simply isn't actionable though. Negative comments are allowed in the forum and don't cross the abuse line just for being negative.

Personal abuse is always actioned when it's reported unless all of us are temporarily all AFK for extended periods but that's rare.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

That thread moves at 400+ posts per hour when the show is on air. Impossible to actively moderate it and there are rarely any posts reported.

We (the Radio mods) certainly actively monitor reported posts and there is a very strict rule against abuse. A lot of what has been reported on foot of this thread has been dealt with. Some of it simply isn't actionable though. Negative comments are allowed in the forum and don't cross the abuse line just for being negative.

Personal abuse is always actioned when it's reported unless all of us are temporarily all AFK for extended periods but that's rare.

I can certainly appreciate the difficulties, but it looks like these factors, e.g. the sheer volume of posts and seemingly that everyone who reads the thread knows not to report anything, make it a safe space for abuse? Not sure what could be done, but it could be a problem

That there can only be 15 reported posts from a month while I saw 4 or 5 from less than an hours worth of posts seems very strange to me. It's also perhaps not clear what is considered abusive, are sexual references about the presenter abusive or not?

Anyone who contradicts the regular posters is shot down with "are you new around here?". In other words don't enter the thread if you're not gonna abuse the presenter and the callers.

I thought it was a healthy bit of banter initially but it's not. It's a toxic atmosphere where posters feel free to say disgusting things with one ringleader.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

A bit of a cop out in my opinion. I gave up posting in the forum when Ray D'arcy got his Radio 1 show. I was swimming against the tide reporting posts in that thread.

The charter is not being enforced as the majority of posters in the popular threads don't want it to be and are being allowed to ignore it by the moderators. The rule on abuse (or what constitutes abuse) needs to be updated to reflect this. It should say something like "Name calling and banter about stations, hosts, djs, their salaries, how they got the job in the first place, their callers and guests is permitted. Use of hateful, racist, or homophobic language against these people is not." This is apparently what the people want, judging by the D'arcy and Liveline threads I had a look at today.

Then again maybe because my main interaction with boards.ie is on the soccer forum, there the charter is followed to the letter of the law and no abuse is tolerated, I have unfair expectations.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement