Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Population growth is slowing down

Options
  • 26-04-2017 5:54pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Results for census 2016 indicate that Galway city had just under 80,000 residents, representing a growth rate of about 5% since 2011. Considering that Galway grew from 47,000 in 1986 to about 73,000 in 2006, it is clear that the rate of population growth is slowing down substantially.

Is this because the city is a victim of its own success? Is the city being chocked to death by traffic issues? Is the city too spread out?

I'd like to see Galway reach 100k in the next 10 years but growth in future needs to be more sustainable and better planned. More high density housing within the city and a decent east-west public transport route (like a guided busway). But is growth even desireable? Does the city need to take a breather?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I'd imagine most people are happy enough and don't want to see much more growth. Traffic is bad enough without another 20,000 people on the roads! I'm sure business owners who would like more customers might have a different opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Certain things need enough base population to make them visble. I'd like to see the city up to 100k includin tv building both Ardaun and Bonham Docks, with good enough public transport to minimise the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Well, there's no sign of any improvements in public transport or road infrastructure, so I hope it doesn't grow to 100,000, or anything like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Certain things need enough base population to make them visble. I'd like to see the city up to 100k includin tv building both Ardaun and Bonham Docks, with good enough public transport to minimise the traffic.

Ardaun? Traffic on that side of the city is chronic enough without another huge suburb using the same road system. Doughiska already has the best public transport in the city and traffic is still a big problem. I would have zero confidence in the ability of the local authority and NTA to co-ordinate a public transport system good enough to minimise traffic. This is the council whose only previous attempt to do something was to ram a road through Merlin Park Woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Further development in Galway should be curtailed until traffic/roads situation solved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Notwithstanding traffic issues, maybe a greater population might cause the reopening of the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I hope the growth will mainly be in the surrounding areas; Oranmore, Loughrea, Athenry, B-sloe etc

The city itself is a nice size now and the satellite towns could use more places of employment so they don't just become feeder towns with no own scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Results for census 2016 indicate that Galway city had just under 80,000 residents, representing a growth rate of about 5% since 2011. Considering that Galway grew from 47,000 in 1986 to about 73,000 in 2006, it is clear that the rate of population growth is slowing down substantially.

Is this because the city is a victim of its own success? Is the city being chocked to death by traffic issues? Is the city too spread out?
    Even though the population has increased in the City, the density has decreased.
    So yes the City has spread out with the resulting Car traffic as side effect.

Well worth reading "Galway: A Sense of Place" by the late Roddy Mannion (Architect) he goes into it in lots of detail.
    http://www.theliffeypress.com/galway-a-sense-of-place.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Maybe it's obvious to point out the economic impact the Great Recession may have had on population trends in cities during this period. Yes, we'd likely be strangled by our infrastructure all the same but just felt I had to be that guy to point out the recession was one of possibly many factors attributed to the apparent decline. I don't think you can make a de facto statement on population trends given 2 data points.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭whineflu

Zzippy wrote: »
    Traffic is bad enough without another 20,000 people on the roads!

Depends where those people come from. I work with about 50% foreign nationals from all across Western and Eastern Europe and most of them (prolly 18 out of 25) take public transport to work. They complain about traffic too but it makes a change from Irish people commuting by car and not seeing themselves as part of the problem.
    Counciller Crowe's recent quote that people like sitting in their cars listening to their radios was an eye opener for me. It's not about commute times or frustration for most people. They just want to be in their car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

whineflu wrote: »
    Counciller Crowe's recent quote that people like sitting in their cars listening to their radios was an eye opener for me. It's not about commute times or frustration for most people. They just want to be in their car.

Where was that said? Sounds like nonsense but maybe he has some information I don't :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

xckjoo wrote: »
    Where was that said? Sounds like nonsense but maybe he has some information I don't :D

You see similar enough said across boards pretty often: people paid good money for their car so they want to use it, they don't like having to be in the same space as other people, timetables are a pain. Even Lisa Simpson's famous line about how if you've failed in life if you're still catching the bus to work at age 30.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Ardaun? Traffic on that side of the city is chronic enough without another huge suburb using the same road system. Doughiska already has the best public transport in the city and traffic is still a big problem.

More housing within walking, cycling or easy public transport distance of Parkmore would be a good thing: employers there would find it easier to hire locally rather than having to take people whose living circumstances mean they need to use private cars.

You see similar enough said across boards pretty often: people paid good money for their car so they want to use it, they don't like having to be in the same space as other people, timetables are a pain. Even Lisa Simpson's famous line about how if you've failed in life if you're still catching the bus to work at age 30.

Thought that line was attributed to Mrs Thatcher? I never heard her say it however; nor Lisa Simpson.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

Rents are too expensive and there is no affordable housing in Galway City that is why it is slowing down big time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Galway grew very rapidly from the 1960s right through to the 2000s, even during the huge recession of the 1980s when other cities excepting Dublin stagnated. It is apparent that brakes are being placed on the city's growth and high housing costs, congestion and other factors may be playing a role in this.

Well, there's no sign of any improvements in public transport or road infrastructure, so I hope it doesn't grow to 100,000, or anything like it.

This is the frustrating thing. We should have implemented infrastructure to deal with previous growth. The horse has always bolted. I have no idea where we are with the new bridge for example. Is it on the cards or shelved or what? Same re new docks. There was a plan to develop it to make it accessible for cruise ships etc. Then there are issues about that and nothing happens for 20 years or so.

More housing within walking, cycling or easy public transport distance of Parkmore would be a good thing: employers there would find it easier to hire locally rather than having to take people whose living circumstances mean they need to use private cars.

Think this is the article it's mentioned in. If so many people like sitting in their cars, why do we hear so many people complain about traffic and why do so many people oppose expanded bus lanes, etc.? Anyway, this isn't another traffic thread so I'm leaving it at that.

There seems to be less employment options around for the last while. That would definitely slow the influx of people moving here to live.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The thing is that you have to make public transport attractive enough to make people leave their cars. A high quality very frequent service with modern and comfortable busses on a guided busway would be a start. With free Park & Ride facilities at either end. I always thought an East-West line, linking Oranmore with Barna and traversing the city centre and close to the University and Hospital would be good. Galway has developed along an East-West axis so this makes sense.

Also more high density housing development within the city is needed. It doesn't have to be just apartments. Terraced/3 storey housing would work too. The city is spread out enough as it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

Galway City Population is slowing down big time as it way too expensive. To Rent/Buy home/live to be afforded by the average working person.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭whineflu

xckjoo wrote: »

I can understand your surprise but I'm not making this up. Mike Crowe's quote that people like sitting in their cars listening to their radios was from the Galway Advertiser the week before last (or maybe two weeks hence). It was in the first few pages in the article about the traffic congestion in Ballybrit. He said it in response to suggestions that people who were stuck in their cars for long periods might consider quicker forms of transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Celestial12

I'd like to see Galway continue to develop and become a regional centre. There needs to be more investment though. Feels like there has been very little construction within the city over the past decade so I'm not surprised things are slowing down.

whineflu wrote: »
    I can understand your surprise but I'm not making this up. Mike Crowe's quote that people like sitting in their cars listening to their radios was from the Galway Advertiser the week before last (or maybe two weeks hence). It was in the first few pages in the article about the traffic congestion in Ballybrit. He said it in response to suggestions that people who were stuck in their cars for long periods might consider quicker forms of transport.

Ya found an article that mentions it alright. The more you think about it, the less sense it makes. If people like sitting in cars so much then they wouldn't be bothered with traffic moving so slowly. I thought all this talk about Galways traffic problems was because traffic was moving too slowly, not that it was moving too quickly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I'd like to see Galway continue to develop and become a regional centre.

Is it not a regional centre now?

Advertisement