Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leg workout without a rack

• 26-04-2017 8:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭

What can I do ?

On leg day atm I'm squatting with dumbells , doing normal squats but I've to throw the bar over my head and lunges (I think)

Is that hitting most of the leg muscles ?

Don't think any of that is doing my calves ?

What can I add in cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

rottie 11 wrote: »
    What can I do ?

On leg day atm I'm squatting with dumbells , doing normal squats but I've to throw the bar over my head and lunges (I think)

Is that hitting most of the leg muscles ?

Don't think any of that is doing my calves ?

What can I add in cheers

RDLs. Calf raises can be done with DBs. Step ups - low and high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Cheers il have to youtube them to see what they are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Deadlifts,
    Hack squat (can go heavier than lifting over head),
    Clean and squat,
    Deep/high step ups
    GHR
    Calf raises (although I'm not a huge fan personally)

Mellor wrote: »
    Deadlifts,
    Hack squat (can go heavier than lifting over head),
    Clean and squat,
    Deep/high step ups
    GHR
    Calf raises (although I'm not a huge fan personally)

I do deadlifts on a Tuesday for my back workout. Wouldn't like doing it again on a Thursday ha.

Are the calf raises the ones where you stand on a block of timber or something and raise your body up ?

And the step ups , aren't they the ones where you just step up on a box with dumbells ?

EDIT: Why aren't you a fan of calf raises ?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

I do deadlifts on a Tuesday for my back workout. Wouldn't like doing it again on a Thursday ha.

Are the calf raises the ones where you stand on a block of timber or something and raise your body up ?

And the step ups , aren't they the ones where you just step up on a box with dumbells ?

You just asked about exercises for legs, it's kind of hard without knowing your full routine what you're already doing, but deadlifts are a great exercise. As well as the back they work on the glutes and hamstrings, they're a great leg exercise. Do you have a barbell for that, and loads of dumb bells for other exercises? Is it just the rack you're missing?
    Most of my favourite leg exercises have been mentioned, definitely get YouTubing them! I also love Bulgarian Split Squats, weighted walking lunges, barbell hip thrusts.

• Advertisement

You just asked about exercises for legs, it's kind of hard without knowing your full routine what you're already doing, but deadlifts are a great exercise. As well as the back they work on the glutes and hamstrings, they're a great leg exercise. Do you have a barbell for that, and loads of dumb bells for other exercises? Is it just the rack you're missing?
    Most of my favourite leg exercises have been mentioned, definitely get YouTubing them! I also love Bulgarian Split Squats, weighted walking lunges, barbell hip thrusts.

I do a full body workout over 4 days. Ya I have everything bars benches dumbells etc , just missing the rack.

Cheers il check them all out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

EDIT: Why aren't you a fan of calf raises ?
    Deadlifts on Tuesday is fine. Don't do them.

Steps ups can be done to a low box with DBs. But they are also be progressed by going deeper. This would be a very deep step up, requires strength, mobility and control.

Yeah, calf raises are done in a box or step. They are a small muscle group that rarely gets used on their own normally. And they'look be used in squats and deadlifts anyway - but not a limiting factor in either. I just think there's better ways for me to spend those 10mins.
    If you want bigger calves, then they make sense. But calf size is supposedly largely genetic.

Advertisement