If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matching subwoofer to Denon AVR and 2 book shelf B&W CDM2

Options
  • 26-04-2017 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I bought a Denon AVRX2300 off you last weekend along with a Sony 7200 blue ray player. I have already got two speakers -both B&W CDM2.  I decided not to buy a 5.1 speaker package as I had the two B&Ws at home.
    Can you recommend a black subwoofer that would complement the above set up? 
    Thanks

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi
    I bought a Denon AVRX2300 off you last weekend along with a Sony 7200 blue ray player. I have already got two speakers -both B&W CDM2.  I decided not to buy a 5.1 speaker package as I had the two B&Ws at home.
    Can you recommend a black subwoofer that would complement the above set up? 
    Thanks
    Hi babybuilder,

I would recommend something by Monitor Audio as they are quite similar in tone to the B and Ws. The Bronze W10 is a fantastic sub that would fit well with the system. It retails at £499 but I can do you a boardie price of £469 for a brand new one in Black.

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Thanks. Bit on the high side unfortunately. Any other suggestions? The B&ws have bass ports at the back and I'm wondering should i block these with plugs so to avoid too much lower frequencies when using a sub?

Thanks. Bit on the high side unfortunately.  Any other suggestions? The B&ws have bass ports at the back and I'm wondering should i block these with plugs so to avoid too much lower frequencies when using a sub?
    Hi babybuilder,

There is another sub which sounds quite similar to the Bronze W10, the MRW10. It wouldn't have quite the same punch as the Bronze but it is quite close. It retails at £239.

I wouldn't plug the ports on the speakers, I would set the crossover frequency on the sub to compensate for the bass levels from the CDM2s.

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Hi babybuilder,

There is another sub which sounds quite similar to the Bronze W10, the MRW10. It wouldn't have quite the same punch as the Bronze but it is quite close. It retails at £239.

I wouldn't plug the ports on the speakers, I would set the crossover frequency on the sub to compensate for the bass levels from the CDM2s.

Kind regards

David

Hi David
    Have read up on the MRW10 and it may be a bit underpowered for my 4x5 m room. What do you think? I have a plan to build up to a 5.1 or 7.1 eventually starting withy current b&w cdm2 but an concerned about compatibility issues. Should I invest in a center speaker instead?

Hi babybuilder,

Kind regards

David

Hi David
    Have read up on the MRW10 and it may be a bit underpowered for my 4x5 m room. What do you think? I have a plan to build up to a 5.1 or 7.1 eventually starting withy current b&w cdm2 but an concerned about compatibility issues. Should I invest in a center speaker instead?
    Hi babybuilder,

It really depends where you are looking to start. A 2.1 system is a bit more traditional as it will beef up the stereo sound. If you are looking to upgrade I would look at getting a center and a pair of rears together as you will notice more of a difference than just getting the single center speaker.

If you are looking for a sub more suited to a large room I would look at either the Bronze W10 or even the Q Acosutics 3070. I've heard these running in our demo room which is a similar size and they really do fill it out. The Q Acoustics are quite tight and punchy as well.They retail at £319.

Kind regards

David

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.