Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat6 cabling potential issue?

• 26-04-2017 9:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Folks,
    I have a Cat6 cable run to an external building on a 40mtr run.
    When I test the socket, I get a fault on wire 3, but the Network itself seems to run ok.
    When I run a LAN speed test, I get @700mbps read speed and write speeds are also good.
    I am wondering what impact the wire fault will have in the long run?
    The main use of the LAN in the external building will be WiFi access point and media streaming, and from the tests so far this works ok.

My main issue is that if the fault is in a buried part of the cable I'm screwed :/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

banie01 wrote: »
    Hey Folks,
    I have a Cat6 cable run to an external building on a 40mtr run.
    When I test the socket, I get a fault on wire 3, but the Network itself seems to run ok.
    When I run a LAN speed test, I get @700mbps read speed and write speeds are also good.
    I am wondering what impact the wire fault will have in the long run?
    The main use of the LAN in the external building will be WiFi access point and media streaming, and from the tests so far this works ok.

My main issue is that if the fault is in a buried part of the cable I'm screwed :/

Is it not more likely to be a faulty termination at either end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

The problem is you'll only ever get 100mbit ethernet on this cable, not gigabit which uses all 8 cores. Redo the connections

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭banie01

If the cable fault is where I hope it is, I can splice the cable and replace the portion that I hope is where the fault is.
    If the fault is in the buried portion though, I am screwed.
    The LAN name is picked up and any test Ive run seems ok.
    Granted this is via a basic cable tester and a few iterations of LAN speed test all of which came back ok and gave decent speed well in excess of the 100mb that a dodgy cable should limit me too.
    My next thought was that my tester was faulty but on known good cables it's throwing up all green.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The problem is you'll only ever get 100mbit ethernet on this cable, not gigabit which uses all 8 cores. Redo the connections

How would he get 700 on 10/100 link?
    banie01 wrote: »
    If the cable fault is where I hope it is, I can splice the cable and replace the portion that I hope is where the fault is.
    If the fault is in the buried portion though, I am screwed.
    The LAN name is picked up and any test Ive run seems ok.
    Granted this is via a basic cable tester and a few iterations of LAN speed test all of which came back ok and gave decent speed well in excess of the 100mb that a dodgy cable should limit me too.
    My next thought was that my tester was faulty but on known good cables it's throwing up all green.

Whats the tester? Is it detecting an earth? Really right now it wont have an impact, but in the future it could as next gen 802.11 standards come along in 3-4yrs. Use iPERF to test the link performance thoroughly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

CAt5e pin3 is used for RX
    Quite surprised to see that you still have a valid connection !

ntron_cat5e_cable_schemes_dia5.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

ED E wrote: »
    How would he get 700 on 10/100 link?

I don't trust his LAN test, he's not told us how he's testing

Advertisement