Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what does the irish word trintean

Options
  • 26-04-2017 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

my son came home with it in his homework, there is a fada over the e.

judging by the context it seems to mean "centre" as in a centre for tourism, but I cannot find a translation for it anywhere.

any help will be apprectiated

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Can you double check the spelling for me? Or maybe post the whole phrase?

It could be "triantán" (which means triangle) or perhaps "tinteán" (which means fireplace).

"Lárionad" is the word I'd expect to hear for a centre, so I doubt it's that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭quintain

Brilliant.
    It must be "triantán", triangle.
    The context is a description of Waterford's tourism centre, which is known as the Viking triangle, it never occurred to me, I was working it out as Viking centre until you made your suggestion ...

Anois, tá trintéan Lochlannach síos an bóthar ón scoil seo.

If I replace his "trintéan" with your "triantán" it makes perfect sense, and in other parts of the paragraph as well.

thank you very much

Advertisement