Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-purchase engineer report Waterford

Options
  • 26-04-2017 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm currently in the process of buying a house in Waterford & am looking for an engineer to do the pre-purchase survey.

Can anyone recommend a good one?
    And any idea what this would cost?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

I recently got one in Cork, came close to 500 incl vat. One other got back a few days later that I had asked for a quote for and he was 350 plus vat.

Being Cork, subsidence is my main concern, he was vague and wouldn't give an answer, probably to cover his back. Report was vague enough too. He recommended a drain test from a company who check for drainage leakage through cctcv and hydrostatic (air). Reading online drain leakage is apparently a bigger cause than soil movement from trees.

This is another 250 on top. The drain crowd can also check water pressure problems, internals etc but I am going with the basic.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Lekrub wrote: »
    I recently got one in Cork, came close to 500 incl vat. One other got back a few days later that I had asked for a quote for and he was 350 plus vat.

Being Cork, subsidence is my main concern, he was vague and wouldn't give an answer, probably to cover his back. Report was vague enough too. He recommended a drain test from a company who check for drainage leakage through cctcv and hydrostatic (air). Reading online drain leakage is apparently a bigger cause than soil movement from trees.

This is another 250 on top. The drain crowd can also check water pressure problems, internals etc but I am going with the basic.
    Do you mind me asking where in the city and what age the house is - this will tell a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

South side, Douglas area and 04 construction. You have older houses in turners cross which are built to standard of the day, but are usually pretty good bar the higher risk of movement.

Then you have new builds during the boom. Newer regs but still can be terrible quality houses. Developer names mean nothing.

Advertisement