Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Renovation Incentive (HRI) Scheme on a new build

Options
  • 26-04-2017 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭

Huge costs associated with a new new home.
    Anyone any experience with claiming for a new build. Is this allowed as it's not strictly renovation. However landscaping for instance! There is practically none included. Seeded lawn means dirt to me so I was planning on purchasing turfed lawn.
    My new kitchen modifications are already at ?2000.
    Hoping I can claim some of this back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Per revenue's website new builds don't qualify for the scheme. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭cullenswood

We bought a new build in July. Got the attic converted in August, covered under the HRI.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

In order to qualify, you must first move in and live there as your main residence. Parts of the new build before you move in are part of the build and not a renovation.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

once the works are extra to what is required to live their you can claim,

for example i had book shelves built, a garden office built and an alarm fitted

all claimable

Grawns wrote: »
    Huge costs associated with a new new home.
    Anyone any experience with claiming for a new build. Is this allowed as it's not strictly renovation. However landscaping for instance! There is practically none included. Seeded lawn means dirt to me so I was planning on purchasing turfed lawn.
    My new kitchen modifications are already at ?2000.
    Hoping I can claim some of this back.

and to your original point i am amazed how much we have spent on our new house as well

it makes me glad i didnt buy a doer upper :eek:

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »
    once the works are extra to what is required to live their you can claim,

for example i had book shelves built, a garden office built and an alarm fitted

all claimable

Only if you've already moved in.

Only if you've already moved in.

i have, but who would know in any event

i have, but who would know in any event

Clearly the Revenue would know as the work would be done before you moved in. Any claim under the HRI would then be under your previous address (although this is allowed for 2nd hand homes).

Clearly the Revenue would know as the work would be done before you moved in. Any claim under the HRI would then be under your previous address (although this is allowed for 2nd hand homes).

how in gods name would revenue know when you moved in?

do you mean when the sale closed?

Actually moving into a new build is can be a very unofficial event, particularly if it's a self build.

• Advertisement

how in gods name would revenue know when you moved in?

do you mean when the sale closed?

Their records will have a different address for you for when the work is being claimed. I'm sure they've thought of the loopholes and closed most of them, while others may still be exploited. As to that I'm not allowing any further discussion on it, as it would be advocating fraud which is against the rules of the forum and boards as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭kala85

How much can you claim on this scheme

Their records will have a different address for you for when the work is being claimed. I'm sure they've thought of the loopholes and closed most of them, while others may still be exploited. As to that I'm not allowing any further discussion on it, as it would be advocating fraud which is against the rules of the forum and boards as a whole.

i think you are giving them too much credit for joined up thinking,

anyway, if you have a new build and you live there any works that are incremental to works required to make the place habitable are claimable.

kala85 wrote: »
    How much can you claim on this scheme

The total work must be between €4,405 and €30,000 ex VAT. Only the VAT of 13.5% can be claimed and it is applied as a tax credit against income tax paid over the 2 years following the work.

More details here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

So I should definitely wait until I move in to do the landscaping, the patio, get the alarm fitted. Gates, what else!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭yannakis

So once you move in, it's not considered a new build any more?

Sounds like a very fine line between 0 and 1 days of occupancy :pac:

yannakis wrote: »
    So once you move in, it's not considered a new build any more?

Sounds like a very fine line between 0 and 1 days of occupancy :pac:

A very fine line and very hard to prove.

Its not unheard of for people to be unofficially living in new builds for months while "officially" its still a building site (thus paying cheaper house insurance etc).

Its not unheard of for people to be living in new builds for months "unofficially" (thus paying cheaper house insurance etc).

Could you please elaborate on the insurance benefit?

yannakis wrote: »
    Could you please elaborate on the insurance benefit?

I can't confirm but apparently it must be cheaper to have what ever insurance is required while the place is being built compared to when its being lived in. I'm not sure what other benefits there are but I have heard of one or two people who were months living in their new builds but the place was still officially being built and not lived in.

I can't confirm but apparently it must be cheaper to have what ever insurance is required while the place is being built compared to when its being lived in. I'm not sure what other benefits there are but I have heard of one or two people who were months living in their new builds but the place was still officially being built and not lived in.

Anyway house insurance is 300-500 per year.. I see too much risk to save 1-2 12ths of that! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

Bumping this as looking for some clarity as the revenue are giving me conflicting answers.

Bought new build in Feb 2014. Got a big job done on the garden in September 2016.

We have put in a claim this week. Anyone know if this should or should not be accepted?

Bumping this as looking for some clarity as the revenue are giving me conflicting answers.

Bought new build in Feb 2014. Got a big job done on the garden in September 2016.

We have sublimed a claim this week. Anyone know if this should or should not be accepted?

of course it should

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭cullenswood

We have sublimed a claim this week. Anyone know if this should or should not be accepted?

Definitely. We moved into a new build in an August, got attic converted in September, it was covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭GLCC

Hi All,
    I submitted a claim for this about 2 weeks ago for work that was done last year. Does anybody know if I will get the tax credit straight away or if I will have to wait until the start of the next tax year ? 
    Thanks,
    GLCC.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Its not unheard of for people to be unofficially living in new builds for months while "officially" its still a building site (thus paying cheaper house insurance etc).

Building site insurance only covers you for fire damage. It’s a false economy if you have a major leak, storm damage or some of the household items get damaged as you wouldn’t be covered.

I recently availed if it during my renovations but we had not been living there during these.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

We have put in a claim this week. Anyone know if this should or should not be accepted?
    of course it should
    Definitely. We moved into a new build in an August, got attic converted in September, it was covered.
    GLCC wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I submitted a claim for this about 2 weeks ago for work that was done last year. Does anybody know if I will get the tax credit straight away or if I will have to wait until the start of the next tax year ? 
    Thanks,
    GLCC.

I thought the contractor had to register the works online before starting. En register every payment and close out the job, all online.

How do this happen after the work is done?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Would anyone know if building your entrance walls/piers are claimable under this scheme?

Rev wedsite states garages can be claimed, so I presume it could be claimed once the bill is subject to 13.5% vat.....?:confused:

Advertisement