Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gadget insurance

• 27-04-2017 12:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭

hi has anyone got this type of insurance ,need it for an new iphone .
    is it worth the paper its wrote on ?
    where do you get it ?
    any advise would be great thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Readily available - Google mobile phone insurance, or enquire from your mobile provider.

It can be of value but isn't cheap, and the insurers are wise to potential unscrupulous claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 funkyalbert

My experience was with gadget insurance.ie and I found them to be a nightmare, basically I told them my screen had a small cracked and they requested proof of ownership. My phone was 2.5 years old and the supplier eventually gave me a copy of the delivery docket. I submitted it and received an email saying please contact us to submit payment. I thought they were going to pay me to get it fixed privately.

No, they wanted me to pay them €75 euro excess which I would not get back, to have the screen fixed. I can get it fixed locally for €50.

I would not recomend gadgetinsurance.ie. They are total timewasters. You are better to pay a bit more because if you are insuring against damage its just money down the drain.

hope this helps...

• Moderators Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭Spocker

Is this excess mentioned in the terms and conditions of your policy?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Carphone Warehouse do insurance, not sure if it's only for phones bought with them but they'd definitely get my recommendation. I had to claim for a smashed phone screen and it was the most hassle free and speedy repair I've ever experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Breizhoneg

So not talking about one phones but gadget insurance in general.

The two I see in there are blue insurance and the bubble thingy. They both, from reviews and from what has been exchanged on boards.ie sound to be pretty crap. are there any big insurance names offering protection for our gadgets?

Anyone actually had a good experience using either of the two that keep on being mentioned everywhere and that keeps on coming up as first results with google (shall I go and check on lycos ?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Can you not include gadgets in you house insurance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

Can you not include gadgets in you house insurance?

Excess would be quiet high and probably effect your premium going forward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭randombar

With the price of the new phones coming out I need to re-look at phone insurance.

Is it possible to get a separate contents insurance on your home to cover things like this?

if not do people have any recommendations? My wifes phone is insured with https://www.mobilecover.ie/ who are decent enough (replaced a phone a couple of years ago) but are a good bit more expensive than alternatives e.g. https://www.gadgetinsurance.com/ie/

Advertisement