Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me choose which college to attend

Options
  • 27-04-2017 2:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Ive been offered a place for the same postgrad teaching course in Marino Institute of Education and NUI Maynooth and I cant decide which course to choose, its only 1 year and 2 days in college, 1 full day, one evening/night, rest of the week is work experience.

Marino Pros -
    Financially affordable
    Easy for me to travel too - less than an hour on the bus which stops 25 minute walk from college
    I get a really lovely vibe off the place, seems very friendly
    Course takes place over Friday/Saturday - perfect for me

Cons -
    Course subjects dont interest me as much as Maynooth
    I dont know much about the college/no nobody who has gone there
    Unsure how well regarded the college/course is. My aim is to find employment so this is important.

Maynooth pros -
    Very well regarded university
    Course subjects interest me - sociology/psychology
    Lectures are trained to PHD level
    I got good vibes off the college and staff when I attended interview

Cons-
    Financially it will be v tough
    Difficult and expensive for me to get to and very difficult to get home from 3hrs+ one way.
    Takes place over Monday/Tuesday, not so convenient for me

What will I do???

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Based on what you have written, i would say Marino.

You will have the same difficulty jobs wise with both.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Teapot30

spurious wrote: »
    Based on what you have written, i would say Marino.

You will have the same difficulty jobs wise with both.

Yeah but wouldnt a university degree be taken more seriously? the fact ill have done sociology and psychology modules will stand by me. Im going to do a Celta also so ill have it as a fall back, I already know someone whose willing to hire me when I get a celta certificate and those jobs pay 20+ an hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Marino is a well respected education college. If they were both of equal convenience I might say go for Maynooth on the basis that you prefer the modules and it is particularly noted for its Adult and Community Education department, not just education in general. And I can certainly vouch for the quality of Maynooth's Education department and the excellent support they provide for students. However, I'm not sure it's worth such a long commute on top of the added expense. I've never heard of anyone doing Adult Ed in Marino but I have heard plenty of positive feedback on the primary teaching course.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Teapot30 wrote: »
    Yeah but wouldnt a university degree be taken more seriously? the fact ill have done sociology and psychology modules will stand by me. Im going to do a Celta also so ill have it as a fall back, I already know someone whose willing to hire me when I get a celta certificate and those jobs pay 20+ an hour

Well don't bother with the teaching then. If you can get a CELTA job that will last for years, do that.

Marino's accreditation for the Further Ed. qualification is from Trinity College, if that sort of thing matters to you.

Thanks for your replies, I think im just going to bite the bullet and go for Maynooth, I can get the back to education grant and a student card will help with travel costs also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

1) the Marino interviews were only held on Saturday how have you been offered a place?

2) the Marino course is accredited by trinity college

3) the theories of adult and adolescent learning are psychology based. In either course you will not be learning about how to teach these subjects.

4) both courses are viewed as full time so grants are available

Good luck whatever you go with, however niether course will be viewed as better when it comes to getting a job

dar100 wrote: »
    1) the Marino interviews were only held on Saturday how have you been offered a place?

2) the Marino course is accredited by trinity college

3) the theories of adult and adolescent learning are psychology based. In either course you will not be learning about how to teach these subjects.

4) both courses are viewed as full time so grants are available

Good luck whatever you go with, however niether course will be viewed as better when it comes to getting a job

Maybe your interview was on Saturday but theyve had on going interviews for the past month, there were two other women there for interviews the day I went in. Im aware I wont be qualified to teach psychology. My primary degree isnt in psychology and my post didnt suggest that I thought I would be teaching those subjects, what I meant was im more interested in learning the subjects Maynooth provides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Teapot30 wrote: »
    Maybe your interview was on Saturday but theyve had on going interviews for the past month, there were two other women there for interviews the day I went in. Im aware I wont be qualified to teach psychology. My primary degree isnt in psychology and my post didnt suggest that I thought I would be teaching those subjects, what I meant was im more interested in learning the subjects Maynooth provides.

Dosent really matter what your undergrad is in, technically you can teach any course that is up to level 6 QQI. Although always best to teach what your qualified in already.

what I'm saying regarding the psychology is, the module on theories of adult and adolescent learning is psychology based, it will be the same as the Maynooth module, just a different name. May be some differences, however it will need to be applied to how people learn

Advertisement