Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weed or not?

Options
  • 27-04-2017 8:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

Have just moved into a new house and this climber type plant is currently occupying a sizeable area along one of walls.

It's not very pleasing to look at. I don't think I've seen it before so wondering if anyone can identify it please?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think that might be a jasmine?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Ooh yes! I didn't even think of Jasmine but comparing the leaves now it certainly seems that it could be. Also it would be in keeping, the last owner seemed to like scented plants, we have beautiful roses and lots of stock too!

Thanks, now that I know what it might be, I know how to look after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

It is jasmine. Some people think its a very delicate and tender plant whereas in reality it can be a bit of a thug and chokes the life out of competition - literally. You can safely cut it back. It can get woody at the base and regular pruning seems to rejuvenate mine at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

on the subject of weeds/plants whats this ?

plant1.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

horsetail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

fryup wrote: »
    on the subject of weeds/plants whats this ?

Horsetail -- sometimes called mares tail - very invasive and difficult to get rid of -- but persevere.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭mr chips

Any fragment of horsetail left in the soil can and probably will germinate.  Just pulling it out is very unlikely to get rid of it, you'll have to either poison it or dig it right out.  Don't let it get established any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

and while we're at it....

this
    plant3.jpg

and this
    plant2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The first one looks like St Johns Wort, a shrubby little plant with bright yellow flowers, quite attractive if its in a place where you want it.

The second one is plantain, which is definitely a weed, especially if it gets into lawns. It has some medicinal uses and kids can get entertainment from the plant by pulling 'violin strings' - pull on a leaf gently and you will get the threads from the leaves pulling out like violin strings. The heads are good for firing from a folded stalk too :)

Advertisement