Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mobile broadband with Public IP

• 27-04-2017 8:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭

hey,

i need a mobile broadband provider that will give me a public IP as i need to access files from my home nas from time to time.

i found a thread here on boards with similar information but not sure if its out of date.

from doing a bit of research the only one i know for sure is 3 mobile do it for €35 a month for 20GB limit.

can anyone confirm the other thread is up to date or give me the current providers doing mobile broadband with a public IP and the price.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭editorsean

Three is the only mobile broadband provider I'm aware of that still provides a public IP address.

Do you have a desktop PC or a laptop that you can leave running at home? If you do, install TeamViewer and set it up for remote access desktop, which is free for personal use. It does not require a public IP address or port forwarding, so you can use the TeamViewer client to connect to your home PC, which you can then copy & paste files back and forth. This way you can go with a cheaper mobile broadband provider/package.

To get a public IP with other providers, you would need to use something like a VPN service that offers a public IP address or set up a VPS as a VPN server (e.g. OpenVPN). This would require a suitable device left permanently connected to the VPN, so incoming traffic to the public IP is routed over this VPN connection back to your home network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭grimeire

editorsean wrote: »
    Three is the only mobile broadband provider I'm aware of that still provides a public IP address.  

Do you have a desktop PC or a laptop that you can leave running at home?  If you do, install TeamViewer and set it up for remote access desktop, which is free for personal use.  It does not require a public IP address or port forwarding, so you can use the TeamViewer client to connect to your home PC, which you can then copy & paste files back and forth.  This way you can go with a cheaper mobile broadband provider/package.

To get a public IP with other providers, you would need to use something like a VPN service that offers a public IP address or set up a VPS as a VPN server (e.g. OpenVPN).  This would require a suitable device left permanently connected to the VPN, so incoming traffic to the public IP is routed over this VPN connection back to your home network.

[font=Times New Roman","serif]
    Thanks for the reply. TeamViewer is a no go for me as I have used it in the past and it just over complicates things. I didn’t realize you didn’t need a public IP to create a VPN. I’ll look into the openvpn over the next few days and post back here.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Thanks again[/font]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭editorsean

This is a demo I tried a while back. I set up WAMP with just a simple test web page and created an OpenVPN connection to the HMA VPN service, with my Meteor broadband connection at home. Meteor does not provide public IP addresses, so normally I can only access my home PC via TeamViewer. On my workplace PC, I accessed the test webpage served by WAMP (running on my home PC) from the IP address that was assigned by the OpenVPN connection:

xyUzkhX.png

This is a demo I tried a while back. I set up WAMP with just a simple test web page and created an OpenVPN connection to the HMA VPN service, with my Meteor broadband connection at home. Meteor does not provide public IP addresses, so normally I can only access my home PC via TeamViewer. On my workplace PC, I accessed the test webpage served by WAMP (running on my home PC) from the IP address that was assigned by the OpenVPN connection:

Did you have to port forward any ports for the vpn?

I have HMA working now with openvpn on my Linux server and it is giving me a different public IP so it is definitely working but i can't access my Linux server remotely for some reason.

i have all the ports opened for the accessing my server remotely but still no luck

On my workplace PC, I accessed the test webpage served by WAMP (running on my home PC) from the IP address that was assigned by the OpenVPN connection:
    I contact HMA support and they recommended i use the manhattan server which i did but none of the ports are open when i test.

What HMA server are u using?

I am unable to connect to my server using the HMA public IP i recieve.
    i tested a load of ports on the HMA public ip i recieve using THIS

What ports did you open on your router?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,485 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Try a dynamic DNS service?

TheChizler wrote: »
    Try a dynamic DNS service?

already am, i'm using no-ip and get the same result. it updates with my HMA IP but still no access.

i have tried every port that i have opened but no luck.

Advertisement