Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free bikes ain't always the bonus it seems

Options
  • 27-04-2017 9:52am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Dimond_Is_Suing_Me._I'm_Asking_For_Your_Help._P6291398/

Jordan Rapp getting sued by Dimond for refusing to ride their bikes any more on safety concerns. this will get very messy

have been sued by TJ Tollakson and Dimond Bicycles because I refused to continue putting my safety at risk by riding Dimond bicycles. My contract with Dimond required that Dimond provide me with bicycles that were suitable for racing and training, something that Dimond was never able to do. So eventually I was forced to make a choice: find a safe bike, or continue to risk my safety by riding defective Dimond bicycles. I chose safety. Dimond chose to sue me in Iowa. I’m not the only one that they have sued: TJ seems to think that he can silence the truth through lawsuits. I’m hoping he’s wrong, but lawsuits are expensive. So, humbly I’m asking for help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I love the response from SBRcoffee on page 2 :) Fair point though.

I'd imagine this will get messy alright

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I think SBR is right, Rapp never mentioned once the problems that he was having with the bike, always on the sell with it. Probably doing what a sponsored athlete is meant to do but you can't then go to the people who you didn't tell the truth to and expect them to help fund your defence. Seems to be like he might have got a better offer from Diamond back and is using this as his out from his Dimond contract. Going to be hard if he's asked to document the problems and then all his glowing recommendations are brought up. Would have been as easy to not say a whole lot about the bike, kept it vague and general, or even highlighted what did work well on it without mentioning the bad points. Instead he gave glowing reviews about every aspect of the bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

What a clown, a go fund me page because he does not want to dip into his savings.

SBR'S post has it spot on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

my 7 year old has figured out the way to ask, even nicely for money, is to pretend you have none. saying i've got some but want more so i don't have to spend it doesn't get you very far.

people mention in the thread the damage to dimond from the lawsuit, as a guy who worked a lot on his social media presence/visibility to public i think Rapp may see the most damage here

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

"Buy the stuff I recommend, I'm Jordan Rapp"
    "Eh we don't trust you as you are a self-confessed liar"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

That's it exactly Tunney, you would have to wonder the damage this will do to Rapp's reputation. He has a big following on slowtwitch and no doubt would have used this to gain sponsors. That's pretty much gone now, who's going to listen to anything he recommends? Sponsoring an athlete is very little about performance, it's all about what the athlete brings in terms of following and ability to sell the gear. I really can't see how he can do that now. Even if the bike is dangerous and he's in the right I don't see how his reputation can recover after all the praise he gave it (to be fair he's probably no different than any other pro). Would have been better to keep it all quiet I reckon than going looking for cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

tunney wrote: »
    "Buy the stuff I recommend, I'm Jordan Rapp"
    "Eh we don't trust you as you are a self-confessed liar"

do you prefer those ones that just lie better.
    and outside of the sponsor****e he says most stuff he writes is solid.
    and i guess critical thinking is always needed.

at the end everybody will lose in this .
    what i cant understadn is that thread does not get pulled , in my mind big error of judgment dan e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

You should see the amount of Dimond's in the states.
    There were a lot of them in Texas.
    And ironically Rapp was doing the Pro briefing interview and across from the stage to the left was the Dimond stand with TJ building up bikes etc.

I didn't realise how big they had gotten in the states.

Hilariously ironic that Rapp dnf'd due to a seat post issue on his new DiamondBack though.

Agreed with the SBR post and most of what others are saying. No one wins in a public call out and legal case like that. Madness they didn't resolve before this stage.
    I'd imagine it will die after a few days and we will never find out how it was resolved behind closed doors, or if it drags on for years.

Not a Dimond fan myself. Saw a nice one there but I actually preferred the P5x over it. Not shopping myself but I wonder who will be the first in Ireland to purchase one.

Here's one of the nicer ones. Kinda a candy red it seemed with matching wheel decals.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Fazz wrote: »
    Not a Dimond fan myself. Saw a nice one there but I actually preferred the P5x over it. Not shopping myself but I wonder who will be the first in Ireland to purchase one.

Here's one of the nicer ones. Kinda a candy red it seemed with matching wheel decals.

Had I the cash I would seriously consider a Dimond. They're lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

they sold roughly 90 bikes 2015 ...
    likely even less as i think their travlel case sells decently and needt to be included in a roughly 1 milion turnover for ruster sport in 2015.

Fazz wrote: »
    You should see the amount of Dimond's in the states.
    There were a lot of them in Texas.
    And ironically Rapp was doing the Pro briefing interview and across from the stage to the left was the Dimond stand with TJ building up bikes etc.

I didn't realise how big they had gotten in the states.

Hilariously ironic that Rapp dnf'd due to a seat post issue on his new DiamondBack though.

Agreed with the SBR post and most of what others are saying. No one wins in a public call out and legal case like that. Madness they didn't resolve before this stage.
    I'd imagine it will die after a few days and we will never find out how it was resolved behind closed doors, or if it drags on for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I see here that they settled. Took them long enough but no surprise that they did

Advertisement