Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski season 2017/2018

Options
  • 27-04-2017 11:45am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Couldn't wait any longer... :D

EasyJet are now booking ski flights out of Belfast for Feb and March 2018. We flew to Lyon for very cheap with them this year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭rondog

We have a stag next season and we get to go away ,just the lads ,for a week.REALLY looking forward to it and beckoning on next winter already.Sad really cos its not even summer yet.
    None of the tour providers have any deals yet for next season but friends of mine got great deals during black Friday so may wait until then...if I can.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

rondog wrote: »
    None of the tour providers have any deals yet for next season but friends of mine got great deals during black Friday so may wait until then...if I can.

Funnily enough I went on a ski stag this season and we bought a black friday sale deal but we had been watching the sales and they were actually better before black friday so we lost out by €50-€100 a head. If you see a good deal take it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Slowly starting to recover from debt from this years addiction!
    Plan for full season this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

My trip, I was supposed to go on this week never happened 😥. Between the weather forecast, and the fact that half the slopes closed the day before we traveled, it just wasn't worth it. Am glad we didn't, the first day the mountains were covered in cloud/mist and visibility was crap, and the second day was a white out, today looked great but that would have meant spending another €700, on top of the money already spent, for one day's snowboarding.
    Luckily we got the money back for the rental car, and the hotel we booked gave us a voucher for 100% of what we paid them. So the only real loss was the price of the plane ticket, and my snowboard baggage. We're planning a trip back to Engelberg before Christmas, have never been before January so it should be interesting.

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    Slowly starting to recover from debt from this years addiction!
    Plan for full season this year :)

You spending the whole season on the slopes?

• Advertisement

cormee wrote: »
    You spending the whole season on the slopes?

Yep :) it can be done!!!!
    Did 7 weeks in a row this year.
    Its easy enough but obv has problems.
    If it happens then my partner loses her job and i lose a lot of clients but these are the things that come up.
    Another way of looking at it is , change of career in winter and live the dream :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Booked in for March 2018 - 10 nights.. bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Does New Zealand this July count as next season or this season? :D:D

DoraDelite wrote: »
    Does New Zealand this July count as next season or this season? :D:D

7th month so it's probably 2018 - are you going? Long way to travel for some snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

7th month so it's probably 2018 - are you going? Long way to travel for some snow!

I'm heading that way for a bit of Rugby and visiting relatives so I decided to extend my stay by a couple of weeks and take in some skiing. I'm looking at areas around Queenstown/Wanaka for most of it but will have a couple of days around Mount Cook as well. Just need to decide what to ski :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭blue note

I need this in my diary. First trip was last year to soll. Was thinking of somewhere else this year since others have been trip soll a few times. Sticking with austria though.

Any opinions on zall am zee, st Johann or any others really. It's a group in our early 30s going.

blue note wrote: »
    I need this in my diary. First trip was last year to soll. Was thinking of somewhere else this year since others have been trip soll a few times. Sticking with austria though.

Any opinions on zall am zee, st Johann or any others really. It's a group in our early 30s going.

Zell am See is nice, the ski area isn't massive, but it's fairly good quality. If you do get bored of it, Kaprun is a short bus trip away.

Zell am See town itself is quite nice, too. Medium sized with lots of pubs. I don't know what the apres ski is like, to be honest, as we used to go straight back to the bar in the hotel we were staying in. *But* one drink-related thing I used to do there, that was absolutely fantastic fun, was go to the bar at the top of Schmittenhohe before the lifts close for the evening and have a couple of beers, while waiting for the lifts to close. After they close, and you've had a pint or two, the slopes will be empty, put on your headphones, strap your board/skis on and cruise down. It's a non-stop run the whole way back to Zell, about 4 or 5k iirc, with some really nice stretches.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Zell am See is nice, the ski area isn't massive, but it's fairly good quality. If you do get bored of it, Kaprun is a short bus trip away.

Zell am See town itself is quite nice, too. Medium sized with lots of pubs. I don't know what the apres ski is like, to be honest, as we used to go straight back to the bar in the hotel we were staying in. *But* one drink-related thing I used to do there, that was absolutely fantastic fun, was go to the bar at the top of Schmittenhohe before the lifts close for the evening and have a couple of beers, while waiting for the lifts to close. After they close, and you've had a pint or two, the slopes will be empty, put on your headphones and head down. It's a non-stop run the whole way back to Zell, about 4 or 5k iirc, with some really nice stretches.

that sounds lovely

it's been way too long since I was skiing

kids :(

lawred2 wrote: »
    that sounds lovely

it's been way too long since I was skiing

kids :(

I have two kids myself! You have to make the time and find the cash, by hook or by crook, for snow holidays.

I have two kids myself! You have to make the time and find the cash, by hook or by crook, for snow holidays.

What age are they? I'm only rearing to start bringing them to the slopes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Zakopane is great for skiing, and great for the few scoops too - and very cheap in comparison to more traditional ski resorts.

What age are they? I'm only rearing to start bringing them to the slopes!

Three and seven. I'm reluctant to bring them with me, because once I do it there's no going back on it, I'd have to bring them every year. Part of the fun of snow holidays, for me, is getting the hell away from them for a few weeks every year. :D

Three and seven. I'm reluctant to bring them with me, because once I do it there's no going back on it, I'd have to bring them every year. Part of the fun of a snow holiday, for me, is getting the hell away from them for a week. :D

how do you manage that? Seriously?

2017/18 all booked :)
    woohooo!
    Anyone any tips for Morzine?

how do you manage that? Seriously?

The company my wife works for takes them to Chamonix each year for their Xmas do, so I mind the kids. In return I get a week away, myself. Then, in Spring, she starts to feel sorry for me and lets me go away for a long weekend.

• Advertisement

The company my wife works for takes them to Chamonix each year for their Xmas do, so I mind the kids. In return I get a week away, myself. Then, in Spring, she starts to feel sorry for me and lets me go away for a long weekend.

She works for a nice company

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

woohooo!

Bring snow

woohooo!

Morzine is great. Nice and close to Geneva, and it's a lovely town.

There is a great bar, near the main lift, Crepu. If you're not into the crazy apres-ski bars, but still like a place with a bit of life in it, visit Crepu.

Snow can be hit and miss, depending on the time of the year you visit, but if it is you can always go to Avoriaz, via the Super Morzine lift in Morzine town, or by the free bus.

It's not particularly challenging terrain, to be honest, I'd say beginners to intermediate, there aren't many blacks. Chamoisierre (sp) is a nice red with a great view, the Tulipe is nice too. But the whole area in general is crusiey and very scenic.

If you want challenging, go to Avoriaz. The Morzine ski area also connects with Les Gets, it's a quick ride/ski to get there, and the boarding/skiing is probably better there. Also, on the other side of Les Gets town there is a smallish, quiet area called Mont Chery, which has some nice wide reds and is well worth a visit.

Any other questions, just ask.

Cheers Cormee , Like the idea of that bar , sounds perfect!
    Hoping to get the Morzine/Les Gets pass with the odd option to upgrade to the full PDS.
    Got 5 months there so ill be asking you plenty :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

Booked first trip today, January to Champoluc. Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭andyd12

Zakopane is great for skiing, and great for the few scoops too - and very cheap in comparison to more traditional ski resorts.
    Have you been there before? If so how is the snow coverage there,terrain etc?

andyd12 wrote: »
    Have you been there before? If so how is the snow coverage there,terrain etc?

Ive been there quite a few times.
    Snow coverage will tend to be man made as its very low but they have quality snowmaking equipment esp in Bialka Tatrazanka.

Its not particularly challenging , Zakopane is a town with a few ski hills dotted around.
    Bialka is more like a resort with a lift pass that links the whole area , great fun for a few days but mostly blue runs. Great therm there and some nice restaurants.

Kasprowy is where the best skiing is but its not for beginners , very icy narrow entrance and the other side is steep but wide but some amazing skiing , can go from top to bottom in one run.

Easily get a week out of it on the very cheap , personally i would base myself in Bialka and pick a sunny day to do Kasprowy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Anyone else feel that outside? That slight, almost imperceptible chill in the air that makes you start thinking about skiing again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

a148pro wrote: »
    Anyone else feel that outside? That slight, almost imperceptible chill in the air that makes you start thinking about skiing again?

Ye, a month now till i'm back practising and less than 2 till the shops have all their new boots in, can't wait for the fitting :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Flights booked to Geneva for a week in Les Arcs 1950, in January.
    I think aside from actually skiing, booking skiing is my favourite time of year!

Advertisement