Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski season 2017/2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Dero wrote: »
    Val-d'Isère (and Tignes) next week. Can't wait. :D

Very unlikely to get anything else this year.

More than welcome to join myself, S and A in April :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

Just booked cheeky last minute to Munich tomorrow evening. Some at least fresh snow and cold temps so good start. Not decided where to go yet, between St Anton, Ischgl, Mayrhofen or maybe further east into the unknown where heaviest snow due.

This all more or less came about today so pretty happy with myself right now, wasn't looking good for any trip this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Hey all,

Heading to Mayrhofen on Sunday for couple of days snowboarding - first time there - any recommendations for a reasonable rental for board,boots and bindings?

I see some guy called Luggi was recommended here before but think I read somewhere else he's retired! Appreciate any tips...!

Cheers

a148pro wrote: »
    Just booked cheeky last minute to Munich tomorrow evening. Some at least fresh snow and cold temps so good start. Not decided where to go yet, between St Anton, Ischgl, Mayrhofen or maybe further east into the unknown where heaviest snow due.

This all more or less came about today so pretty happy with myself right now, wasn't looking good for any trip this year.

Needless to say between kids and work I couldnt ****ing go

Why I had children I really don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I thought I wasn’t going anywhere this year as work has been mental but Crystal have offered a very reasonable flight and transfer deal to the 3v’s that has me rethinking that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Came back from La Plagne on Saturday morning. Still reminiscing. It was the best place we've been to in all our years of skiing/boarding. Such a vast amount of runs, topped of by months of snow and then a fresh dump mid week.
    I took this on the last run, on the last day. I can't recommend this place enough.
    Vb1WKK7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭jones 19

That's a great shot !

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

are those skiers coming towards you or going away from you? I think towards, but logically they should be going away from you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

are those skiers coming towards you or going away from you? I think towards, but logically they should be going away from you!

They're going away from me. Never noticed the illusion before

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

the person on the rhs, ski poles seem to be in the further away, which would imply person is skiing towards you. Person on lhs, spray from skis is definitely closer to you, so definitely going away from you.
    it's a miracle, only possible explanation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Can anyone tell me what the story with the train is in Mayrhofen? I know there are busses between the various areas, Imis the train only to certain ones (I see Hintertux mentioned)

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭kal7

Just back, mainly great blue sky days, managed to ski the last two blacks couldn't safely get to before.

One had never had the piste markers in, this time a freeride zone with black and yellow poles to mark hazards, good visability and snow condition made it lovely.

Best bit 700m descent into blind valley with only a drag lift to get out, tracked out but still great.

thinking of booking now for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Dear diary...
    Finally got a couple of days in this season. Work has been crazy and a trip home in November, followed closely by Christmas dented the season's snowboarding budget. Was out the weekend before last at Sunshine in Banff. Great day, snow all Friday night and plenty of fresh stuff still falling all day Saturday. Could get pockets of good snow in the trees most of the day. Barely stopped for lunch (just long enough to warm up from -25 degree temps) and headed for home relatively early. Was with a group of decent boarders so we were moving all day and legs were pretty done after all the deep stuff we found. A couple of hilarious nosedive powder falls kept spirits up.

Weekend just gone, I spent a day in Mt. Norquay, also in Banff. My office has corporate passes so it was a free day which is always good. Not as much fresh stuff around, but plenty of snow in general, after 2 big storms the week before. Spent the morning exploring the (small) mountain and the afternoon in the park trying to do everything I was able to do last year...success! I feel if I go a season without doing, at least, the same tricks as the year before that it means I'm getting old. that's old age pushed off for another year at least, anyway! And still plenty of time to add to the limited repertoire. I have a fear of spinning frontside that my legs will just go up in the air and land on my back, so maybe I'll work on that a bit, and try get some confidence back on the rails after a couple of bad falls last year that really, really hurt!

For anyone who's thinking of coming to Banff, the lift pass you'd get is a tri-area, with busses going to each hill. Lake Louise is the last of the 3, with the 2 above and is my personal favourite as it has some incredible bowls off the back. When it gets fresh snow, it is amazing. Bit of a hike involved (10-15 mins) after a killer of a button-lift to get the best of it, but that keeps the riff-raff away! Also, it's a world-cup venue, so it can be fun to do that run and see how ballsy you can be! hopefully I can get there this weekend or next.

2 weeks later is a work trip to Panorama mountainin BC for the weekend. There's a park, night-skiing, a hot tub and bars there and other than that I don't know much about the place, but I've heard good things. We're bussing out from here Friday evening after work with about 35 people so it should be good fun.

Another permaban for Massey

Hey now, give me a break...I only had one day out before this, and that was in November with one lift running! I'm just excited is all!
    Even living here, 10-15 days a year is about average, so it's not like I'm waking up every morning shredding pow!

...Although lake Louise is scheduled in for next Monday as it's a bank holiday over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

3v’s tomorrow. I can’t wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Heading to st Anton next week. Forecast is for temperature around -25 to -30 the first few days. Is it even possible to ski in weather that cold?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

qwabercd wrote: »
    Heading to st Anton next week. Forecast is for temperature around -25 to -30 the first few days. Is it even possible to ski in weather that cold?

I’ve skied in -20 .. it’s def possible but bloody cold. If there’s no wind and sunshine then it’s torrable but if there’s wind in the mix for me it’s just not worth it for me.

Make sure you’ve lots of layers, good socks, neck scarves, balaclavas etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

qwabercd wrote: »

Temp could could completely change between now and next week.

Was there about three weeks ago in miserable weather and a balaclava is vital!

One of those packable bubble jackets helps above your usual mid layer and below usual jacket

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭BarryNumber1

-20 once myself and I'll add good gloves or mittens to the mix. +1 on the face mask or neck fleece.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭blarney_boy

-30! I doubt it, in Kitzbuhel ATM and it's -4 at night +2 in the day, lots of fresh snow dumping down so visibility will be a problem long before the cold will.

More powder forecast for tomorrow with sun for the rest of the week, so skiing conditions are ideal, best winter in a decade imho

Lake Lousie on Monday was -30 in the morning. Absolutely the coldest I've ever boarded in...resort was pretty empty though! Lifts were delayed opening, but nothing crazy.
    In terms of warmth, my body was fine with a merino wool ninjasuit, t shirt and hoody under my regular pants and jacket shells. I generally don't layer much when riding anyway - so maybe don't use this as a gauge, and plan to pack extra layers. Got a brain freeze (yes, really!) on my first run, so made sure to fix my face mask/goggles/helmet setup so nothing was exposed. Hands and feet were cold. and I had to stop a few times to warm up. I've never had a proper pair of cold-weather gloves and usually am fine with some neoprene gloves and decently thick liners, occasionally stretching another pair over the top for the very cold days. I'll definitely be getting myself some decent mitts as I've had a few days this year below -20 and my hands have definitely felt it. For my feet, I've heard good things about superfeet redhot insoles. They're not heated, but apparently do a great job so I'm considering these also. For skiers, I've seen a lot of people wearing 'boot gloves' which are neoprene outer layers that strap over ski boots without hindering bindings, so these might be worth thinking about, if they're available. 

-20 is cold, but generally fine. If you're getting up any kind of speed, ensure no skin is exposed for too long - the windchill at these temps/speeds can and does do damage. Have friends look out for each other in terms of any exposed skin turning white, do the 'nose test' - push your nose and watch for colour returning quickly. This also applies to any other areas that are exposed/cold. Cheeks, chin, neck, ears mainly. You don't need super tech gear to stay warm, just wear layers. You will warm up when riding and cool down on the lifts, so there's a balance you'll need to find.

My biggest issue in cold weather has been goggles, but I seem to mostly have it solved now. I have an 'airhole' brand facemask that has (surprisingly enough) an air hole at the mouth so when exhaling, the vapour doesn't go up into your goggles and fog/freeze them. Frozen inner lens is a pain in the hole. The only way to really deal with it, without risking damage to the lens, is to get them under the hand drier in a bathroom. If you can manage it, don't lift your goggles off your face, even on a lift. Probably not the end of the world if you do, but it does increase the chances of condensation and thus ice on your goggles. Also, leave your goggles out somewhere dry overnight, i.e. not bundled up in your gear. Any vapour that gets in between your lenses needs to naturally work its way out slowly. I've taken a lens out into the cold after a week bundled up in my jacket and it immediately fogged due to the condensation in between the lenses. Had to change lenses for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭prunudo

Hope everyone else on this page is keeping a close eye on the weather for the week ahead.
    Wonder will we get a repeat of 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

jvan wrote: »
    Hope everyone else on this page is keeping a close eye on the weather for the week ahead.
    Wonder will we get a repeat of 2010.

I'll be shredding on the curragh plains if we do. I even have my line picked out. 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

I'm heading to Tignes on Saturday and very excited.

I got new boots last week from snow and rock, along
    with a new Planks jacket that arrived on Friday. Can't wait to try them on the slopes.

However I'm a little concerned looking at the temperatures forecast for next week, as low as -24! I don't know what to expect. I'm not sure what the temps I'm used to skiing in but I'm fairly certain that'll be by far the coldest.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Living near the alps this long time, and relatives up in the nordics so I'd like to help out. Yes it is very much possible to ski below -25c. One of the best trips in memory I had was a weeks stay in saas fee in January, North facing with massive walls to the south. It was -26c to -28c for 4 days. Beautiful effects and great day time ski conditions. I tend to like it because there are fewer people and no mushy snow.
    Word of warning though. Try get a package or 10 of hand warmers. For feet you'll likely need a couple of layers. -13c and windy today at 2250m and it would of been uncomfortable without a proper wind breaker/fleece/scarf going up to my goggles. Good luck at -25c / windy in that. Keep your hands covered as much as possible (guilty of taking a picture or 2 of the selcenery too often and below -20c its tough, getting those digits warm again.
    Lip balm is necessary, with uv protection if you can get it.

Other than that you should be grand. It'll be an adventure. Careful near moguls though :/

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

masseyno9 wrote:
    Lake Lousie on Monday was -30 in the morning. Absolutely the coldest I've ever boarded in...resort was pretty empty though! Lifts were delayed opening, but nothing crazy. In terms of warmth, my body was fine with a merino wool ninjasuit, t shirt and hoody under my regular pants and jacket shells. I generally don't layer much when riding anyway - so maybe don't use this as a gauge, and plan to pack extra layers. Got a brain freeze (yes, really!) on my first run, so made sure to fix my face mask/goggles/helmet setup so nothing was exposed. Hands and feet were cold. and I had to stop a few times to warm up. I've never had a proper pair of cold-weather gloves and usually am fine with some neoprene gloves and decently thick liners, occasionally stretching another pair over the top for the very cold days. I'll definitely be getting myself some decent mitts as I've had a few days this year below -20 and my hands have definitely felt it. For my feet, I've heard good things about superfeet redhot insoles. They're not heated, but apparently do a great job so I'm considering these also. For skiers, I've seen a lot of people wearing 'boot gloves' which are neoprene outer layers that strap over ski boots without hindering bindings, so these might be worth thinking about, if they're available.

Top advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭trashcan

Due to fly to Salzburg on Saturday( second trip this year, yay). Just praying that the flight, and travel to the airport are ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭blue note

trashcan wrote:
    Due to fly to Salzburg on Saturday( second trip this year, yay). Just praying that the flight, and travel to the airport are ok.

It would be ironic if you couldn't go skiing because of a snowfall here. Not the funny kind of irony though.

Advertisement