Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski season 2017/2018

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Maybe avoid Georgia?! (Warning- Link contains embedded footage of a nightmarish lift accident).

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5828924/ski-lift-sends-passengers-flying-georgia-video/

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Ki ki

fannymagee wrote: »

You should really warn people that this contains footage of a horrible accident in Georgia. It is quite upsetting and scary.

Ki ki wrote: »
    You should really warn people that this contains footage of a horrible accident in Georgia. It is quite upsetting and scary.

You are right, thank you. Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

Does anyone know why they were all coming down?

Edit I see the lift is actually going backwards

• Registered Users Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭prunudo

a148pro wrote: »
    Does anyone know why they were all coming down?

Edit I see the lift is actually going backwards

Power failure and then brake wouldnt engage.
    Scary situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Timmaay wrote: »
    Definitely the best week of skiing I've ever had in the 3V, decent bit of fresh snow over the week, but thankfully only 2 half days off poor visibility, huge huge huge area to ski in, you would need 3 wks to explore it all (I made a reasonable attempt in a week, clocking up 100km most days on the strava). I never tend to go on holidays to the same location more than once but I can certainly see myself going back to the 3V.

The three valleys are definitely my favourite destination. Such a massive ski area!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Fintc

Hi ,
    Going skiing next week in mayrhofen with a few friends. Just wondering does anyone have a contact for private lessons? Only have 3 days of skiing so would like to get a full day of private lessons first. The ski schools charge a fortune and most doesn't go to the instructor.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Just home from a week in Arinsal, Arinsal closed for two days due to high winds and snowfall, Thankfully the area pass includes Pal so still got to ski.
    Now if only they could do something about the 4 hour bus journey to andorra

What a crazy season this has been, I'm heading to Engelberg in 9 days, 15 hours, 16 minutes, and 3 seconds... and they got 20 cm of snow two days ago, there is snow forecast all week, and the snow base there is expected to be at 7m over Easter!

What the holy hell is going on!

cormee wrote: »
    What a crazy season this has been, I'm heading to Engelberg in 9 days, 15 hours, 16 minutes, and 3 seconds... and they got 20 cm of snow two days ago, there is snow forecast all week, and the snow base there is expected to be at 7m over Easter!

What the holy hell is going on!

Its great, great season to be going skiing late, read somewhere it was deepest snow in 40 years.

Had 3 days in ischgl over weekend, it really is a fantastic resort. Would be gone chasing powder again in Chamonix today if I didn't have multiple kids hanging out of my neck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Speaking to an old guys that has lived in Les Arc, he said it’s the best season in his memory !!

Also a special season for me and my wife.
    We decided in November to give our notice at work, sell up and start a new life as Chalet Hosts.

We are not young, kids are reared, we both wanted a life re-set.

It’s been amazing, money is terrible but the lifestyle is brilliant, completely clear head space and our skiing has finally really improved.

Lots of different roles here, if its something you have thought of or have any questions, please feel free to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭mulbot

Speaking to an old guys that has lived in Les Arc, he said it’s the best season in his memory !!

We decided in November to give our notice at work, sell up and start a new life as Chalet Hosts.

It’s been amazing, money is terrible but the lifestyle is brilliant, completely clear head space and our skiing has finally really improved.

Lots of different roles here, if its something you have thought of or have any questions, please feel free to ask.[/quote

WOW, pm on its Way

Lots of different roles here, if its something you have thought of or have any questions, please feel free to ask.

LOVE it!!! Living the dream :-) <3 xxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I’d love to have the balls to do that. I thought about doing a season a couple of years ago when it was looking like I was going to be changing job and had a 6 month non-compete. Ended up staying sadly!

20c here in Engelberg town. Just arrived today, hopefully a little bit cooler up the mountains tomorrow, ðŸ˜

How was it cormee? I never stop thinking about skiing

How was it cormee? I never stop thinking about skiing

Glad you asked :D

Engelberg/Titlis is a fairly small ski area, I'd say we had covered the majority of the slopes by day two.

It's not for beginners, I can't recall many blue slopes, nor any greens - the majority are black and red, but they are fairly wide. I'd say it's popular for the off-piste opportunities, which look amazing (snow quality was too poor for us to head far off slope). The vertical drop is pretty crazy, so it's good for those who like speed. The lopes were empty, due to the time of the year it was.

The very top of Titlis (3020m) had mad weather conditions high winds, crap visibility, and driving snow, so the first 300m of the trip down were precarious. It's also a famous spot in Bollywood films, it was bizarre sharing the lift up with selfie-crazy Asians, dressed in their going-out clothes.

The snow, as I said, wasn't great quality, at the start of the day it was pure (corduroy) ice, and by mid afternoon it was like a giant sorbet. Somewhere in between that the conditions were ok. But I kind of like slushy snow (the increased grip lets me try tricks I wouldn't be able to attempt on regular snow).

The lift system is great, nice and fast, and most of the gondolas and bubble lifts look new.

Engelberg is so, so expensive. About €50 per day just to feed yourself (€25 for burger and chips), and then between €6 and €7 for a beer. But there is a supermarket there if you are doing your own catering.

It's pretty close to Zurich airport, the drive will take about 1.5hrs. On the way there we traveled by train, which was €40 o/w, and there is one connection to make. The train station is in the airport, so it's a very easy trip to make.

Lovely as it is, I doubt very much I'd go back. Just too expensive, and too small an area. We only went for four days on the slopes, and by day four I was kind of bored by doing the same pistes over and over. Unfortunately for me, by day four, the edges of my board were completely blunt. So, in the morning, when the snow was ice the board wasn't digging in when I was turning on the (very) steep reds and blacks and I spent a fair bit of time sliding down slopes on my belly.

And a few more:

Looks gorgeous - were there many there? Has a bit of a reputation as a late season spot

Looks gorgeous - were there many there? Has a bit of a reputation as a late season spot

Very few, definitely an end of season feel to it. There were very few queues for the lifts and on some of the slopes we'd be the only ones in sight.

Yeah, I can see how it would be late season, the difference in temperature between the town and the highest point was about 20 degrees (-5 to 15), the town is at 1040m (I think) and the top of Mount Titlis is 3020.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

i was there a few years ago, really liked it but it was definitely very expensive to eat out. If you knew where to go (and we had good local knowledge!) you could follow the happy hour around different pubs (helpfully staggered) and get beers at dublin prices, so that worked out fine.
    huge off piste potential, has a brilliant run (the laub) which unfortunately we didn't tackle, but it's definitely a place i'd go back to for the off piste, and with careful planning (ie eat in) the costs can be kept somewhat reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭blue note

Is it bad that I'm kind of looking forward to this thread dying because it means that next year's trip will feel a step closer?

Although I'm thinking of spending the money for a ski holiday in a jewellers instead. The more I think about it it's kind of one or the other and it's obvious which the right one is. Still though... I wonder will there be a cheap week in Soll available in March or something if I book late...

i was there a few years ago, really liked it but it was definitely very expensive to eat out. If you knew where to go (and we had good local knowledge!) you could follow the happy hour around different pubs (helpfully staggered) and get beers at dublin prices, so that worked out fine.
    huge off piste potential, has a brilliant run (the laub) which unfortunately we didn't tackle, but it's definitely a place i'd go back to for the off piste, and with careful planning (ie eat in) the costs can be kept somewhat reasonable.

I didn't go too far off piste, because as I said, the conditions were not really suitable, but there was one run, from the top of Titlis, facing down towards Engelberg (it follows the direction of the Rotair/lift) the whole way down to the valley below. It looked absolutely amazing, really wide open powder fields that went on forever.

If I was guaranteed the right conditions I'd go back just to do that one.

blue note wrote: »
    Although I'm thinking of spending the money for a ski holiday in a jewellers instead.

Save really hard and pop the question on piste :D

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

cormee wrote: »
    I didn't go too far off piste, because as I said, the conditions were not really suitable, but there was one run, from the top of Titlis, facing down towards Engelberg (it follows the direction of the Rotair/lift) the whole way down to the valley below. It looked absolutely amazing, really wide open powder fields that went on forever.

If I was guaranteed the right conditions I'd go back just to do that one.

that's the laub i think, exactly as you describe! my reason to go back as well!

Advertisement