Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City vs manchester United Thursday 27th April sky sports 8pm

15678911»

Comments

Liam O wrote: »
    Oxymoron?

It's gas he doesn't even realise how funny that was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Anyway aside from Man Utd Boards Andersonisgod themed "whose line is it anyway".

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

NIMAN wrote: »
    Watching that game tonight and comparing it to the Clasico last weekend was like watching 2 different sports.

How much longer can Sky continue to sell this as some sort of super league?

Both teams looked clueless tonight, yet are managed supposedly by 2 football geniuses. Geniuses who will demand a couple of hundred million each to spend this summer to try to keep the hype around their image intact.

Completely agree. I watched a recent Corduff United F.C game and I found it far more entertaining than this evening's Premier League fixture.

The first 20-30 minutes seemed as though there was a decent game emerging, but after half-time it seemed as though the only team to emerge was City. In saying that, to me, Bailly looks like an excellent acquisition for United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

But this is the approach against pretty much every high level team Man Utd have played this season and, if you go by his previous tenures, will continue to be.

I did like the mandatory dig in the 2nd paragraph, remind me not to talk to you like a person again...

AIG, have you ever played competitive football, I mean for a local club or even 5 aside! A lot of these posts that harp on about stuff like pragmatism screams of a guy who never took to the field in his life or sat in a dressing room and are just based on fan boy "entertain me" fantasies!

AIG, have you ever played competitive football, I mean for a local club or even 5 aside! A lot of these posts that harp on about stuff like pragmatism screams of a guy who never took to the field in his life or sat in a dressing room and are just based on fan boy "entertain me" fantasies!

He's has been reading football books since he been 3 dude, even had pop up ones before that. He knows his football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

UrbanFret wrote: »
    The whole utd team should have been sent off for crimes against football. A disgrace to the game. then sky making out it was some kind of masterclass from maureen.Managers have been parking the bus since time began, you'd think he had reinvented the wheel.

Are you 12 or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Poor game. Quality pretty non existent. One team set out to cancel out the other and succeeded. Job done for them. Only one team tried to win the game tonight. One team just defended. Congratulations to them. They came for a point and got it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I see why AIG is so infamous now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I have, I play competitively and play five a side at least a couple times a week, I've also coached, gone to courses, workshops ect. I have also been reading football books since the age of 3, not as heavy as what I read now but still...

And with all of that said, I don't quite understand how that should impact my expectations of football, particularly at the very highest level. Two top teams played last night, one played football, the other didn't, it's right to question why. I also think it's not a crime to say that a lot of other top clubs simply wouldn't accept what Mourinho brings to a club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

NIMAN wrote: »
    Watching that game tonight and comparing it to the Clasico last weekend was like watching 2 different sports.

How much longer can Sky continue to sell this as some sort of super league?

There have been plenty of great games. The recent Utd/Chelsea game was one. Spurs/Chelsea in the FA Cup semi was incredibly good too. And they're just in the last couple of weeks.

Last night was just a case of a horrible storm of City being so slow in midfield, no composure up front, and Utd not being able to keep the ball in City's half for any real period of time, you got a game that was quite turgid.

It happens.

I have, I play competitively and play five a side at least a couple times a week, I've also coached, gone to courses, workshops ect. I have also been reading football books since the age of 3, not as heavy as what I read now but still...

And with all of that said, I don't quite understand how that should impact my expectations of football, particularly at the very highest level. Two top teams played last night, one played football, the other didn't, it's right to question why. I also think it's not a crime to say that a lot of other top clubs simply wouldn't accept what Mourinho brings to a club.

Then I dunno what type books you've read or how badly the team you coach does but you should be aware that to play football a team must also be able to defend. I get that as a Disciple of Barca/Pep the whole region of Goalkeeper/Defence is a mystery but it still an important part of "playing" the game.

Seeing you snub Kante as less deserving of POTY than Hazard further confirms a preference for attack over any sort of defence. Not how the game works.

NO WAY that was a sending off. But fellani was so stupid to fall for it. And it's a shame because he was EXCELLENT all night

Excellent? Nah not having that. Gave the ball away a good few times. No composure. He wasn't bad buy excellent is way over the top imho.

I don't know how you could enjoy playing football with the way you approach the game! And I don't know who you coach but how do you enjoy it given your expectations of teams.
    Workshops........hmmmm.

It has a lot to do with it. And the fact that you don't understand that makes me wonder about all above! Even the workshops!

Also the "Pep is a mastermind" when City play well whilst "Pep hasn't the players" when City play bad attitude is hypocrisy.

What books did you read when 3. I mean you hadn't even been to playschool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Liam O wrote: »
    Oxymoron?

Not in this context. Just because I dislike utd doesn't mean that I am incapable viewing an incident and judging it on its merits, like I did not this case. You and others disagreeing is hardly surprising.

In overall terms it is somewhat of an oxymoron though when applied to the wider situation as obviously I have a bias against wanting utd to do well, but on an individual level it doesn't come into play as I'm looking at specific incidents on merit. I'm sure some of you think that is a hilarious double standard, but if you do then you are saying that all football fans of all teams are incapable of judging incidents on merit when their team or a disliked rival are involved, which is frankly nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

There really is nothing enjoyable about watching games Mourinho is involved in.

It's like the attackers v defenders in training, the only thing he sets his side up to do when facing other big clubs is stop them.

It's a legitimate way to play and you'd be a fool to argue it hasn't worked for him, but god it's dull to watch. He really takes the enjoyment out of football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

DO NOT FEES THE BEAST

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

LiamoSail wrote: »
    There really is nothing enjoyable about watching games Mourinho is involved in.

It's like the attackers v defenders in training, the only thing he sets his side up to do when facing other big clubs is stop them.

It's a legitimate way to play and you'd be a fool to argue it hasn't worked for him, but god it's dull to watch. He really takes the enjoyment out of football

Some of it, like last night, the two LFC games, prolly a couple of others, isn't pretty to watch but we have played mostly good and sometimes superb football too.

To say anything other wise means either

A) You have not watched much of United this season.

B) You are following the AIG wum technique.

C) You are biased / blinded by dislike for Jose and/or United.

D) A combination of all three.

A lot of the football we have played this season is poles apart from the slop served up under Moyes or LVG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Rod Munch wrote: »
    Some of it, like last night, the two LFC games, prolly a couple of others, isn't pretty to watch but we have played mostly good and sometimes superb football too.

A lot of the football we have played this season is poles apart from the slop served up under Moyes or LVG.

If you bothered to read his post he said when he faces the big clubs.

It's dire and horrible to watch you cant deny it, but I have to admit its effective.

• Advertisement

I've seen most of the big games, and its these games I'm referring to. United have been atrocious to watch. The only thing Mourinho sets out to do is stop the opposition.

As for being biased, well it's Mourinho. He's an extremely dislikeable character so of course my point is subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

rob316 wrote: »
    If you bothered to read his post he said when he faces the big clubs.

It's dire and horrible to watch you cant deny it, but I have to admit its effective.

Even that is nonsense. Against Liverpool away and City away we played defensive game. Against teams at home we played attacking game and created plenty of chances.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Mourinho's tactics to get a point against these types of teams doesn't really bother me.
    What does bother me is his complete and utter hypocrisy when he throws a strop when other teams employ the same tactics against his sides to successfully win a point.
    Exhibit A was his "19th century football" tantrum a few years ago when West Ham got a point at Stamford Bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Mourinho's tactics to get a point against these types of teams doesn't really bother me.
    What does bother me is his complete and utter hypocrisy when he throws a strop when other teams employ the same tactics against his sides to successfully win a point.
    Exhibit A was his "19th century football" tantrum a few years ago when West Ham got a point at Stamford Bridge.

Jose is a hypocrite, water is wet.

What bothers me more is Sky championing it as some sort of tactical masterclass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

As a Chelsea fan and having 6 years of Jose, those type of tactics are all to common when playing the big boys, especailly away.

Utd fans shouldnt really get to precious about it, it usually gets the right result for your team, which is to avoid defeat. They also shouldnt feel the need to defend it, it is what it is, which is limited football hoping that theres no loss and nick something on the counter.

Its a blue print that he knows brilliantly well how to deploy and its being succesful, hell, if it won my teams trophies and it has, I'd be delighted. You also have to point out, which most opposition fans dont do, is that theres also times when his teams are left off the leash and allowed to play with freedom and their usually pretty good at that side of it too. Jose does get stuck with a defensive tag but its something thats hes good at and knows works, why wouldnt he mix it up?

Nothing new here. He does it in half his interviews or close to it. It's his style. Interviews in general are shíte anyways... sometimes fickle, sometimes generic questions with even more generic dull answers. Regardless if its players or managers, same dull waffle.

You shouldn't let it bother you!

He purposely acts the asshole. Done it all his career with pressers, touchline and interviews. He's not the first and won't be the last.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Even that is nonsense. Against Liverpool away and City away we played defensive game. Against teams at home we played attacking game and created plenty of chances.

Not against the top sides United don't. Against Chelsea, City and Liverpool away, United set up as you'd expect Tony Pulis to set up a championship team facing Barcelona away. Even against Chelsea last week, the focus was on stopping Chelsea and nullifying Hazard rather than attacking.

Last night, as with the Chelsea FA cup game and Liverpool at Anfield, it was like watching attackers v defenders in training.

United haven't been purely defensive in all home games against the bigger sides, but they most certainly haven't been attacking. As I said, it's absolutely a legitimate way to play, it's just dull

Nalz wrote: »

He purposely acts the asshole. Done it all his career with pressers, touchline and interviews. He's not the first and won't be the last.

The man deserves an Oscar if that's the case. The constant whining, tantrums, the eye gouging, sexual discrimination etc. He absolutely nails the role. Denzel Washington would be proud of an acting performance like

DO NOT FEES THE BEAST

Ha, I don't mind him as much as many! I find him an "interesting" character! And factually wise he knows a good bit about Spanish soccer but ...
    ... (and there is a big bu)

I like to delve deep into his character I guess ! !

Not against the top sides United don't. Against Chelsea, City and Liverpool away, United set up as you'd expect Tony Pulis to set up a championship team facing Barcelona away. Even against Chelsea last week, the focus was on stopping Chelsea and nullifying Hazard rather than attacking.

Last night, as with the Chelsea FA cup game and Liverpool at Anfield, it was like watching attackers v defenders in training.

United haven't been purely defensive in all home games against the bigger sides, but they most certainly haven't been attacking. As I said, it's absolutely a legitimate way to play, it's just dull

Like I said, against Liverpool, City away we played defensive game but at home we played attacking game. Against Chelsea we attacked by nullifying their attack, that's also possible you know?

You yourself said you are biased against Jose, so hard to take your posts seriously when it comes to Jose or the team he has managing.

• Advertisement

So better tactics for you would have been to let Hazard run riot?

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Like I said, against Liverpool, City away we played defensive game but at home we played attacking game. Against Chelsea we attacked by nullifying their attack, that's also possible you know?

You yourself said you are biased against Jose, so hard to take your posts seriously when it comes to Jose or the team he has managing.

United didn't attack City at home, City were all over United and certainly last week against Chelsea wasn't an attacking performanc either. Just because United didn't only defend doesn't make it an attacking performance.

It's a football forum, everyone is biased. There's no such thing as objective opinions on football forums.

United didn't attack City at home, City were all over United and certainly last week against Chelsea wasn't an attacking performanc either. Just because United didn't only defend doesn't make it an attacking performance.

It's a football forum, everyone is biased. There's no such thing as objective opinions on football forums.

meh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Nalz wrote: »
    Nothing new here. He does it in half his interviews or close to it. It's his style. Interviews in general are sh?te anyways... sometimes fickle, sometimes generic questions with even more generic dull answers. Regardless if its players or managers, same dull waffle.

You shouldn't let it bother you!

Suppose bother is the wrong choice of words. Amuse me would be correct. It's impossible to take him in any way seriously given how much of a hypocrite he is.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you boys play ultra conservative against City and end up getting a win, it was hailed by all and sundry as a master class of tactics by Klopp.

We played ultra conservative against LFC who were scoring goals for fun and got two draws.

Jose's bus.

We played fairly conservative against City last night and got a draw.

Dull Jose.

Against Arsenal we should have scored at least 3 or 4. We beat Spurs relatively comfortably, we out played Chelsea 2 weeks ago in every department.

For all the alleged drabness of Jose's United we move into the top 4 if we win our next game, we have one trophy in the cabinet and are into the last 4 of the EL.

Given that or having a team playing a 99% one dimensional way that when it works looks lovely but when it doesn't is toothless, I know what I'm much happier with.

If some of the other great managers in the PL had any defensive astuteness then they may be doing better in the league and cup competitions rather than hoping for a top 4 finish as their only success for the season.

Attack at all costs may work in a two horse league or with a team that has the GOAT in it but as is clear, it has been unsuccessful in the PL in recent times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Yes there is.

Just because you're biased and others are doesn't mean everybody is biased.

I would consider myself unbiased including when it includes my team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

United and Liverpool create more than Chelsea, we just aren't as effective.

https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/15/Show/England-Chelsea

https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/26/Show/England-Liverpool

https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/32/Show/England-Manchester-United

So if Jose has been boring then so has Klopp and conte has been as dull as dishwater.

Also Liverpool ability to put away chances is actually worse than United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,584 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

5starpool wrote: »
    Me biased? Don't confuse my dislike of utd as bias.

:rolleyes: it's the very definition of bias.

I don't go into LFC match threads (cause I have better things to do) but if I did, I certainly wouldn't claim to be 'neutral' because I can never be neutral about that club and never will - same as you.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I don't go into LFC match threads (cause I have better things to do) but if I did, I certainly wouldn't claim to be 'neutral' because I can never be neutral about that club and never will - same as you.

Well that's yourself and whatever.

But there are actually football fans who can watch a match concerning a team they dislike and if that team have a shot on goal where say a defender dives to punch the ball away, they are able to admit that the team they hate do actually deserve a penalty to be awarded to them.

• Advertisement

niallo27 wrote: »
    I'd swear if Jose said the sky was purple utd fans would believe it. I feel sorry for them. They are being sucked in into a pretinecuce of ****e and being told everything is wonderful. In fairness a good few see through the horse ****

Who are you even talking to? What is a 'pretinecuce'?

I'm seeing through the horsesh*t right now - You really don't feel sorry for them, it isn't pity that is the root of your obsession. 2.10am of a Saturday morning and you're in here spouting that complete sh*te. Do you even know or care who Liverpool are playing next?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

5starpool wrote: »
    Me biased? Don't confuse my dislike of utd as bias.

Spot on mate. You get some people who try let on they're too sophisticated to be swayed by their personal loyalties. But in my opinion either their heart's not really in it to begin with or they just lying to themselves.. and everyone else.
    It's a bit like when someone tries to have a smoking hot friend without wanting to **** them. Some things are just instinct. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

stankratz wrote: »
    Who are you even talking to? What is a 'pretinecuce'?

I'm seeing through the horsesh*t right now - You really don't feel sorry for them, it isn't pity that is the root of your obsession. 2.10am of a Saturday morning and you're in here spouting that complete sh*te. Do you even know or care who Liverpool are playing next?

Who knows it was a word in my head anyway. Doesn't make much sense now your right, I'll delete it.

I'd swear if Jose said the sky was purple utd fans would believe it. I feel sorry for them. They are being sucked in into a pretinecuce of ****e and being told everything is wonderful. In fairness a good few see through the horse ****

What horseshyt would that be?

I genuinely believe your preoccupation with United keeps you up at night.

Let's compare notes on Jose and Klopp this year.

Jose freezes Bastian out of the team : LFC fans shout what a bastard, football legend!

Klopp freezes Sakho out : LFC fans agree its clearly all Sakhos fault.

Jose comments on fixture congestion : LFC fans shout what a crying bastard!

Klopp comments on fixture congestion : LFC fans agree a winter break is needed and it a pain having to play more than one game a week, boo fxuking hoo.

Jose comments publicly on a players performance / attitude : LFC fans shout he's thrown them under a bus, typical Jose, what a bastard.

Klopp comments publicly on a players performance / attitude : I havnt seen too many LFC fans decrying it.

You boys have bought into the church of klopp hook, line and sinker and if anyone questions him they are shouted down and ridiculed.

You boys back Klopp for doing EXACTLY the same things that ye lambast Jose for.

My point?

Most fans will back their players / managers until something becomes untenable.

United fans, LFC fans, every fxuking fan.

What horseshyt would that be?

I genuinely believe your preoccupation with United keeps you up at night.

Let's compare notes on Jose and Klopp this year.

Jose freezes Bastian out of the team : LFC fans shout what a bastard, football legend!

Klopp freezes Sakho out : LFC fans agree its clearly all Sakhos fault.

Jose comments on fixture congestion : LFC fans shout what a crying bastard!

Klopp comments on fixture congestion : LFC fans agree a winter break is needed and it a pain having to play more than one game a week, boo fxuking hoo.

Jose comments publicly on a players performance / attitude : LFC fans shout he's thrown them under a bus, typical Jose, what a bastard.

Klopp comments publicly on a players performance / attitude : I havnt seen too many LFC fans decrying it.

You boys have bought into the church of klopp hook, line and sinker and if anyone questions him they are shouted down and ridiculed.

You boys back Klopp for doing EXACTLY the same things that ye lambast Jose for.

My point?

Most fans will back their players / managers until something becomes untenable.

United fans, LFC fans, every fxuking fan.

This is all generalising though and is pretty much hyperbole. Not all fans back the manager on all the above, or indeed blindly back a manager at any club. A read of any thread would tell you this.

Also the Backing or not backing the manager argument doesn't really wash on a football forum in Ireland.

Who knows it was a word in my head anyway. Doesn't make much sense now your right, I'll delete it.

I nearly broke Google with it :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement