Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Co2 Cartridges

Options
  • 27-04-2017 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

Does anybody know if you can can Co2 cartridges in checked baggage on Ryanair flights?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭C3PO

• Registered Users Posts: 29,370 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Does anybody know if you can can Co2 cartridges in checked baggage on Ryanair flights?

If they're the same thing as cartridges/ bottles in self -inflating lifejackets, then yes.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,446 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Depends

If you've packed them full of explosive and attached a timing device I suspect not...

:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    If they're the same thing as cartridges/ bottles in self -inflating lifejackets, then yes.
    this came up in the other thread.

anyway, according to the ryanair guidelines, you can bring a self-inflating lifejacket with spare cartridges. i suspect if you arrived just with cartridges, they might disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,370 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

this came up in the other thread.

anyway, according to the ryanair guidelines, you can bring a self-inflating lifejacket with spare cartridges. i suspect if you arrived just with cartridges, they might disagree.

I wasn't referring to the aircraft lifejackets.

I've brought only cartridges/firing mechanisms with no problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stevieg2009

Thanks for the replies lads I just traveled without couldn't be dealing with the hassle will just pick up a few here cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 43 GabbaTheHutt

I flew with Ryanair and Aerlingus last summer on 2 separate trips.

With Aerlingus when I checked the bike in they asked if I had any CO2 and told me they weren't allowed on their flights and in T2.

When I checked in with Ryanair they asked the same questions and when I very happily said "no, I left them at home" they replied with "that's a pity, you can have 2 in your bike bag and 2 in your luggage"!

Apparently different regulations for the 2 different terminals. Who would have thought!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

With Aerlingus when I checked the bike in they asked if I had any CO2 and told me they weren't allowed on their flights and in T2.
    Apparently different regulations for the 2 different terminals. Who would have thought!!

Brought about 4 x C02's with me in the bike bag via Aer Lingus/T2 to GC a couple of months ago, no questions..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

We have travelled with both Ryanair and Aer Lingus to France/Spain/Portugal over the last few years with and without CO2 cartridges. We have had them in checked luggage, hand luggage and bike boxes.

The only consistent thing is that there is no consistency.

We have had them confiscated, let through, been asked what they were and let through and also had to hand them up. We even had to open a bike box once and remove them.

so travelling again Sunday week to Lisbon but we don't bring them anymore. We buy a few in the first bike shop we see and usually give them in to a bike shop on last day or even to the plastic wrapping person in the airport as they sometimes do bike boxing and have a basic bike tool set to help people out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Brought about 4 x C02's with me in the bike bag via Aer Lingus/T2 to GC a couple of months ago, no questions..

AFAIK it's up to you to declare them.

• Advertisement

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    We have travelled with both Ryanair and Aer Lingus to France/Spain/Portugal over the last few years with and without CO2 cartridges. We have had them in checked luggage, hand luggage and bike boxes.

We have had them confiscated, let through, been asked what they were and let through and also had to hand them up. We even had to open a bike box once and remove them.

+1..same here all of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stevieg2009

Seaswimmer wrote: »

so travelling again Sunday week to Lisbon but we don't bring them anymore. We buy a few in the first bike shop we see and usually give them in to a bike shop on last day or even to the plastic wrapping person in the airport as they sometimes do bike boxing and have a basic bike tool set to help people out.

So it's really not worth the hassle with it being such a grey area I purchased a couple over there bined them before coming back

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

So it's really not worth the hassle with it being such a grey area I purchased a couple over there bined them before coming back
    It's not really hassle as such. If they spot them some will confiscate them, some won't, some don't care. It's not as if you're going to be arrested or anything. No different to their approach if you've accidentally left a bottle of water in your luggage.

I usually pack one. If it's confiscated, it's no big deal.

I was in Holland for the Amstel Sportive and we flew Ryanair. I had one packed with my bike. Thankfully I didn't have to use it during the event, so it came back with me!

Advertisement