Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question

• 27-04-2017 2:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

I design the website work for X company about a year ago, I continue to provide support and maintenance services.

X company also have a separate Graphic designer based in the UK who does their print, ads etc

A department in the company needed a separate webiste but relating to the business and contacted the Graphic designer, the graphic designer took my whole design, changed 1 or 2 things but the thrust is still the same, basically ripped it off

Site is now live and i'm not happy about it, their design is awful and all over the place. Im a bit annoyed they didn't ask me, maybe the GD did it for free

Just wondering what to do, afraid to rock the boat because its a good contract and i need the work.

Sorry - I cant post links to the pages but both are the same in terms of header, menu, body, footer - same colours, fonts, structure.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

when I say their design is awful, I mean its a copy of mine but out of propositions :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Surely if they paid you for the work it's now their design not yours?

Did you have some sort of contractual/license agreement to say otherwise?

If it's a bad copy, I'd just make sure your names isn't associated with it and forget it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

Graham wrote: »
    Surely if they paid you for the work it's now their design not yours?

Did you have some sort of contractual/license agreement to say otherwise?

If it's a bad copy, I'd just make sure your names isn't associated with it and forget it.

Thanks Graham, you are 100% right my work is their copyright.

The company is a large beaurcracy, different departments that dislike each other. I deal with marketing who knew nothing about this, I suppose I was peeved and felt threatened that they hire someone else to copy my work and that this will continue to happen.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Buttercake wrote: »
    Thanks Graham, you are 100% right my work is their copyright.

The company is a large beaurcracy, different departments that dislike each other. I deal with marketing who knew nothing about this, I suppose I was peeved and felt threatened that they hire someone else to copy my work and that this will continue to happen.

I completely understand why you're frustrated/annoyed.

Maybe there's an opportunity there for you to offer to tidy up the bad clone for the other department ;)

Advertisement