Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Time Buyer - Wireless Monitored Alarm

Options
  • 27-04-2017 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Total noob to this home alarm business and I'm afraid of getting take for a ride. I signed up to Phonewatch at the ideal homes show at the weekend but then read through this board and cancelled straight away.

I'm looking for a good value wireless monitored alarm with a reasonable monthly charge to be fitted and installed with minimal upkeep etc. NetworkSecurity seem to be very similar to Phonewatch but their monthly charge isn't mentioned on the website.

I looked at gard.ie also but their up front cost is quite high, and have a €140 annual monitoring charge which is low.

Any help much appreciated, thanks

Update: PhoneWatch was €249 install and €38 a month
    Network is €299 install and €26 a month.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

First of all well done on educating yourself about Phonewatch, it is absolute madness that people are paying out hundreds of euros for the installation of something which they will never own.

Watch out for terms and conditions on any quote you get installed for less than € 500. That is usually an indication that you are not actually paying for the equipment.

Normally with professional monitoring stations, other than the one we keep hearing about in the media, the annual charge for monitoring is anywhere between € 140 - € 180.

Do any of your neighbours/ friends/ family have intruder alarms installed by anyone other than those you have mentioned?

Just be careful here that you do not fall into a contract where you are paying OTT for something you will never own and for something no other company can repair or service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Thanks for the tips! I went with Phonelink in the end. Seems like they are good value and the slightly higher monitoring charge €25 is offset by the €249 cost of the HKC system plus 5 sensors. Unless anybody has anything bad to say about Phonelink I'm happy enough

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

5 sensors.?
    Dont you mean inertia contacts?
    Is that covering all you accessible perimeter openings?
    How long is the monitoring contract for?

KoolKid wrote: »
    5 sensors.?
    Dont you mean inertia contacts?
    Is that covering all you accessible perimeter openings?
    How long is the monitoring contract for?

3 years. 1 inertia, 2 contact and 2 motion. That's all halls and accessible ground level points covered.

BBMcQ wrote:
    Thanks for the tips! I went with Phonelink in the end. Seems like they are good value and the slightly higher monitoring charge €25 is offset by the €249 cost of the HKC system plus 5 sensors. Unless anybody has anything bad to say about Phonelink I'm happy enough

You are paying double the usual domestic monitoring charges by professional monitoring companies.

The cost of that system is not even covering the cost of the equipment, therefore you must be in some type of a never never arrangement with the equipment, that paper work would be worth studying.

5 sensors ? What are they please?

I cannot see how, unless you have 2 rooms in your house how only 5 detectors can provide adequate coverage for a Garda response to your alarm system should it activate as in, does it even have verification coverage?

Did they call out and do a risk assessment?

Have you got all this is writing?

It just seems to have happened very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

BBMcQ wrote: »
    3 years. 1 inertia, 2 contact and 2 motion. That's all halls and accessible ground level points covered.
    2 contact 2 motion sensors and one inertia is covering all accessible points of entry????
    You must be living in a shed. And you are tied into 3 years monitoring at €25 per month?
    That's another €900
    Do you reckon you got a good Deal??

Probably covering it in the monitoring contract. If you cancel your monitoring you can't use your app. :eek:

Woah woah woah. Lads I do appreciate the advice it's just the expert options are very vague and not available in simple stsrter kits for someone. Nobody is yet to suggest any links to where to buy?

The €7.99 once off app purchase is not included.

The kit consists of the following:

HKC Quantum 70 Panel
    2 X HKC Wireless Contacts (White) Front Door and Rear French Door
    1 X HKC Inertia Sensor (White) Front Bay Window)
    2 x HKC Wireless PIR Ground and First Floor
    1 X HKC GSM SC(Provides Monitoring and App)
    1 X HKC Dummy Box
    1 X HKC Keyfob with integrated Panic Button

Includes 3 year warranty/servicing/battery etc.

I tried to price the above individually and was coming into around €600 euro, then we 3 years cheap monitoring for approx 4-500euro plus servicing the system etc I don't see where the total 3 year cost is that far off the mark?

Thank you OP, so you have a decoy external alarm box, is there any mention of a second warning device, as in another sounder?
    Because what is listed there will not quite comply with EN50131.

Actually just going through your list, Contacts only on your Front and French Doors, you are aware that if someone smashes the glass on either and enters through that section that is damaged, that the alarm system will not detect them?

Inertia Sensor only to your Front Bay window, is it a small bay window? Just that usually they need 2 to provide adequate coverage.
    Also you will be able to leave the opening panes on the Bay Window wide open and you can set the system

I would be very cagey disarming any alarm activations from that system via your App and assuming that they are false alarms.
    That coverage leaves a lot to be desired.

Thanks for the advice. What do you recommend I do? Is there a go to website to build my own set up and then a go to company to monitor?

• Advertisement

Ideally you should have inertia shock sensors and contacts to all vulnerable windows and doors.
    You mentioned 2 x PIR's, well that is about right as they will provide back up and indeed extra alarm verification if the worst happens.
    Even though the system is professionally monitored, which is a must, I still would not look beyond a wired external sounder unit.

If I was you, go back to that company and see if they can cut you a good deal, I would however get a few quotes for paying for the system in the first instance and what monitoring costs as a separate entity.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Stevie S

Hi

I have a new build house where it's set up for wired. <snip>, what do the resident experts think of this please?

Presume monitoring is standard 20/25 per month if I go down that route.

Type: pre-wired new home

HKC 10/70 alarm panel
    12V 7A backup battery
    HKC internal echo siren
    HKC SAB (external bell at front)
    Front door HKC JB contact
    Hallway internal HKC motion sensor
    Lounge window HKC inertia/contact
    Lounge window HKC JB contact
    French doors HKC inertia/contact
    Kitchen window HKC inertia/contact
    Bedroom one window HKC inertia/contact
    Bedroom two window HKC inertia/contact
    Bedroom three window HKC JB contact
    Bedroom three window HKC inertia/contact
    Landing window HKC inertia
    Attic velux window HKC JB contact
    Attic landing window HKC inertia

Mod Edit price removed

Subject to site survey? The quote is there or thereabouts.

As per EN50131, we as installers are obliged to carry out a site survey and from that a risk assessment of which a system design proposal with costs is proposed to you the client.

Professional domestic monitoring can cost anywhere from € 140 to € 190 per annum, there are dozens of monitoring stations in this country.

Also would recommend 3 written quotations.

kub wrote: »
    Subject to site survey? The quote is there or thereabouts.

As per EN50131, we as installers are obliged to carry out a site survey and from that a risk assessment of which a system design proposal with costs is proposed to you the client.

Professional domestic monitoring can cost anywhere from € 140 to € 190 per annum, there are dozens of monitoring stations in this country.

Also would recommend 3 written quotations.

Cheers Kub

This quote is just based on me giving info over the phone so I suppose I'll get them out for the survey

Yeah I got one off Wilson Security too for €965 plus maintenance and optional extras for monitoring so seems a bit higher. Wilson did the show house so felt they would know what they were on about. Will stick that quote up now

I do not know of either companies but Wilson would probably know the house better than the other company and you could also have a quantity difference, some big windows may need 2 shock sensors instead of just 1 etc.

kub wrote: »
    I do not know of either companies but Wilson would probably know the house better than the other company and you could also have a quantity difference, some big windows may need 2 shock sensors instead of just 1 etc.

The Wilson one is in a pdf I can't seem to manipulate it into text on my phone I'll stick it up in the morning. Cheers for the reply, was just looking for a sanity check when I see offers for 300 and mine is 3 times that

The offers for a few hundred are either rental agreements or you are tied into monitoring and maintenance for a number of years etc.
    Are you looking at any other ongoing charges with any of those quotes.?

The offers for a few hundred are either rental agreements or you are tied into monitoring and maintenance for a number of years etc.
    Are you looking at any other ongoing charges with any of those quotes.?

With the first one I think it's just the cost of monitoring of €20 / month but wasn't discussed fully

The Wilson one had maintenance of €135 per annum and then had to fork out for monitoring equipment for circa €300 I think as a once off, plus monitoring whatever that would be

Monitoring optional extra in both

I would recommend looking at a few things in more detail.
    What equipment and coverage you are getting for your money.
    Do you own that equipment.
    Is that equipment tied to that installer.
    Are you tied to service maintenance monitoring for a period of time.
    What is covered under maintenance.
    To put it in simple terms. If an offer looks too good to be true it probably is.

Installation:

Internal:
    Motion detectors located as follows:

1. Entrance hall
    2. Landing
    Perimeter:
    Inertia sensors with separate contact located as follows:
    (Inertia sensors indicate if the window/door is being tampered with, contacts indicate if it is open)

3. Main entrance door.

4. Sitting room front LHS

5. Sitting room front RHS

6. Kitchen window

7. Patio door.

Contacts only on the following openings:
    8. Landing front

9. Landing side

10. Rear bedroom No. 1

11. Rear bedroom No. 2

12. Front bedroom bay window side opening

13. Front bedroom bay window front opening

14. Top landing window

15. Bathroom skylight

16. Main bedroom patio door.

Remote key pads:
    17. Hallway.

Local signalling equipment:
    18. External wired bell box to front.

19. Internal sounder.

20. External decoy box to rear.

Control equipment:
    21. Main panel will be Wilson Security HKC 10/70 control panel utilising 10 of a possible 110 zones.

22. Back up battery in main control panel. 12v 7AH.

23. Fused spur.

Cost:
    Installation: € 956.00 + VAT @ 13.5%

Annual Maintenance: € 165.00 + VAT @ 13.5%

Optional additions:

Remote signalling equipment:

Text/Voice Modem communicator located in main panel.
    This notifies a remote monitoring station in the event of an alarm activation.

PSTN line required.

If texting is required and additional service must be used as Eircom no longer support text. This will have an annual charge of €40.00 to HKC.

Installation: € 115.00 + VAT @ 13.5%

Remote signalling equipment with smart phone APP:

GSM Modem communicator located in main panel.

This can act instead of the above communicator or (Ideally) as a back up to it.
    This can send texts to pre-programmed phones.

This notifies a remote monitoring station in the event of an alarm activation.

Smart Phone App available (€7.00) allowing full remote control from anywhere in the world.

GSM extender required as mobile signal low

Installation: € 195.00 + VAT @ 13.5%

Plus

Monthly charge to Secure Comm Cloud service €8.99 (By direct debit)

Annual Monitoring: € 135.00 + VAT @ 23%

Either one or both of option 1 + 2 required to allow monitoring.

24 Hour manned monitoring station.

Qualify for full available discount on insurance.

Garda response (Subject to type of activation).

Panic buttons:
    Each Remote keypad has a panic button built in (Press * and # to activate)
    If a separate panic button is required there are a number of options which can be used.
    Wall mounted wireless panic button: € 75.00 + VAT @ 13.5%

Portable key fob with panic button: € 55.00 + VAT @ 13.5%

• Advertisement

I would recommend looking at a few things in more detail.
    What equipment and coverage you are getting for your money.
    Do you own that equipment.
    Is that equipment tied to that installer.
    Are you tied to service maintenance monitoring for a period of time.
    What is covered under maintenance.
    To put it in simple terms. If an offer looks too good to be true it probably is.
    Cheers, good questions
    pasted the Wison quote, sorry if it looks bad on the page it's from a pdf, tidied it up a bit

That all looks normal.
    Not sure what the GSM extender is.If the GSM signal is bad in the area where is it extending it from.
    On the app charges etc take a look at the sticky here..
    Most other systems are free, so it might be worth a bit more shopping around. €84 per year is a lot to commit to for the life of your system.That will be nearly the same as the install again?
    Maintenance alone is a little above average. Did you check if this covers or callouts/labour or is it limited to 1 or 2 calls?
    Again. Are you committing to a particular length of time if you take out monitoring?

That all looks normal.
    Not sure what the GSM extender is.If the GSM signal is bad in the area where is it extending it from.
    On the app charges etc take a look at the sticky here..
    Most other systems are free, so it might be worth a bit more shopping around. €84 per year is a lot to commit to for the life of your system.That will be nearly the same as the install again?
    Maintenance alone is a little above average. Did you check if this covers or callouts/labour or is it limited to 1 or 2 calls?
    Again. Are you committing to a particular length of time if you take out monitoring?

Nice one thanks. I'll put together the questions from both of you and mail them back. Glad to know both quotes are in the ball park anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Lads,

I just trimmed some of the text here. At this stage the user has good information, I'm not so sure suppliers would like their information pulled apart like this so I gave it a hair cut.

Regards

Stoner wrote: »
    Lads,

I just trimmed some of the text here. At this stage the user has good information, I'm not so sure supplier would like their information pulled apart like this so I gave it a hair cut.

Regards

Sound no worries

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Padraig1888

I'm with Network, they seem to have the best value for money. Most don't include batteries and rip you off when you need them, they include them in the €24.99

I'm with Network, they seem to have the best value for money. Most don't include batteries and rip you off when you need them, they include them in the €24.99

As long as you never want to leave, shop around or go anywhere else.

As long as you never want to leave, shop around or go anywhere else.

24 month contract, was smaller than most others. 36 months seems to be the norm other than Phonewatch who I wouldn't touch.

And if you want to change after that you will need to get another new system..

• Advertisement

And if you want to change after that you will need to get another new system..

Didn't know that but €24.99 for the monitoring, maintenance and batteries is good value. They give you a guarantee on the price so no need to go elsewhere as long as they stick to their word and don't put the price up.

Advertisement