Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese import

Options
  • 27-04-2017 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

Hi, has anyone done a Chinese frame import recently?

Ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭conkennedy

Dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

Would you like to be on a bike not knowing when it might give someday you are out on it

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,416 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A lot of frames are made in China, but branded ones have been subject to proper quality controls (except fakes, but let's not go there!). Buying direct from Chinese suppliers you may end up with something using sub-standard carbon but would probably not be aware of that until it fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I have not bought one of these but there are loads of people that have without issue. There appear to be a few reputable sources: Hong Fu, Deng Fu, Velobuild, Flyxii, Shenzhen Huyi

Lots of cycle companies are getting frames made in the same factories as these. Decathlon, Planet X, Ribble to name three, but it's also alleged that big brand cycles are too. However, with these bulked/frames, you will get the benefit of a warranty/after sales service. You also run the risk of being hit with the 48% Anti-dumping tax by customs, plus VAT on top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Any reputable Chinese Carbon Wheel ls out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Personally, I wouldn't take the chance and/or couldn't be arsed with dealing with revenue for what seems like small savings compared to the bulk importers like ribble and planet x.

However, I was listening to a podcast recently where they suggested that carbon frames should be scanned if you crash as the carbon could be weakened without any visible damage. I see a lot of coverage of people saying don't buy fakes/ rip offs from china, but (if that podcast was correct) I don't see much coverage of checking "legitimate" carbon frames. Wouldn't the risk be the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gmacww

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Lots of cycle companies are getting frames made in the same factories as these. Decathlon, Planet X, Ribble to name three, but it's also alleged that big brand cycles are too. However, with these bulked/frames, you will get the benefit of a warranty/after sales service. You also run the risk of being hit with the 48% Anti-dumping tax by customs, plus VAT on top.

There is no alleged about it. Pinarello moved all frame production out to the carbon triangle a couple of years ago.

On the topic of chinese imports I guess it's two part and they shouldn't be confused. There are plenty of excellent frame and component builders in china. Dengfu, hongfu, velobuild all mentioned above are fantastic machines and indeed I used to race a hong fu myself.

The murkier side of the chinese bike market is the fake builds. These I would not touch. You may get a good one and it could be an excellent bike but I personally wouldn't risk it. For the life of my I also have no idea why anyone would. Why buy a fake S-Works. Just save up and buy the real thing. If that's not doable for you for whatever reason all personal to yourself and the business of nobody else just buy something else more in your price range. Something like a planet x or a velobuild.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

dahat wrote: »

Farsports seem to get good reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/NEW-Ship-From-Germany-38mm-Clincher-Carbon-Road-Bike-Bicycle-Racing-Wheels-/272287900469?hash=item3f659fa335:g:gw0AAOSwHnFVtrMU

I came across these wheels recently on EBay. It's a Chinese seller, but delivery is from Germany.
    I guess that would take the V.A.T. and Anti-Dumping tax out of the equation.
    As to quality, you pays your money and you takes your chance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Macy0161 wrote: »
    ..... where they suggested that carbon frames should be scanned if you crash as the carbon could be weakened without any visible damage. I see a lot of coverage of people saying don't buy fakes/ rip offs from china, but (if that podcast was correct) I don't see much coverage of checking "legitimate" carbon frames. Wouldn't the risk be the same?
    Part of the problem is the cost. Following an accident a few years ago, an insurance assessor wished to get my bike scanned as I had stated that I was concerned about ''hidden damage in the frame. He was quoted €600 for the scan so he simply 'wrote off' the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Not much love for the imported frame! !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Macy0161 wrote: »

However, I was listening to a podcast recently where they suggested that carbon frames should be scanned if you crash as the carbon could be weakened without any visible damage.

This is my day job. The issue is really that after the crash/failure you have already destroyed your evidence. It's basically impossible to say if something else thats nearby was there before the incident or not. To be honest we also wouldn't stand over it post crash if you wanted to keep riding as it's entirely possible for something too small to be observed in a CT-scan to be present and over time this will result in another failure.

Also to the poster talking about €600... the machine that can fit your bike frame is over €1.4m and a decently thorough scan is going to take a few hours so that ends up having to be paid for.

Here's something one of the industry software suppliers did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve_Oa7jl_kQ

I suppose ultrasound is another option but I can't really speak to the efficacy of that technique.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Loads of build threads for the Deng Fu and Hong Fu range, their rep seems to be gaining.

bp_me wrote: »
    This is my day job. The issue is really that after the crash/failure you have already destroyed your evidence. It's basically impossible to say if something else thats nearby was there before the incident or not. To be honest we also wouldn't stand over it post crash if you wanted to keep riding as it's entirely possible for something too small to be observed in a CT-scan to be present and over time this will result in another failure.

Also to the poster talking about €600... the machine that can fit your bike frame is over €1.4m and a decently thorough scan is going to take a few hours so that ends up having to be paid for.

Here's something one of the industry software suppliers did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve_Oa7jl_kQ

I suppose ultrasound is another option but I can't really speak to the efficacy of that technique.

I don't think anyone would doubt the reasoning behind the cost or that that people are taking the p£ss quoting €600 for the scan but it still doesn't make it cheap which is what WBA was getting at i think.

Loads of build threads for the Deng Fu and Hong Fu range, their rep seems to be gaining.

Cheers, I'll do a search

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Sarz91 wrote: »
    I don't think anyone would doubt the reasoning behind the cost or that that people are taking the p?ss quoting ?600 for the scan but it still doesn't make it cheap which is what WBA was getting at i think.

Agreed. Just wanted to point out why it was pretty uneconomic to go down that route. Even with a frame worth multiples of the €600 I would still replace rather than inspect.

Cheers, I'll do a search

There's a pretty big following on the weightweenies forum but i don't know if they actually ride the bikes or just weigh them....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

i know of one pro-triathlon training on a chinese frame. no complaints from him.
    lots of threads on weight weenies:
    http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=113717

Sarz91 wrote: »
    There's a pretty big following on the weightweenies forum but i don't know if they actually ride the bikes or just weigh them....

this :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Bought a chinese frame from Hong Fu about 3 years ago now .. an FM066 and stuck a 105 groupset on it and hasn't given me a moments problem ... very happy with it so far .... but obviously knew i would be taking a bit of a chance but having had a good read around decided to give it a go ...

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    Bought a chinese frame from Hong Fu about 3 years ago now .. an FM066 and stuck a 105 groupset on it and hasn't given me a moments problem ... very happy with it so far .... but obviously knew i would be taking a bit of a chance but having had a good read around decided to give it a go ...

any pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭nilhg

dahat wrote: »

As someone else said farsports seem to get good reviews, also one of our lads in the club has a set from Zuus which he's very happy with, and there seems to be a few sets of them in the race peleton judging by the various FB race photo streams. They're someone in the UK bringing in a bulk order of chinese wheels and taking a margin and offering support and backup.

thekooman wrote: »
    any pics?

I'll see if i can post some up over the weekend as i'm away from home at the moment

Robxxx7 wrote: »

Thanks for that- is the ip/057 I am thinking of- its a 29er mtb with good looking geo's

How long did your delivery take from order?

Thanks for that- is the ip/057 I am thinking of- its a 29er mtb with good looking geo's

delivery took about 2 weeks after payment ... if you do go down the chinese frame route be sure to have them confirm they have the frame in stock before paying ... otherwise you could be waiting longer ...

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

I bought a 26" carbon HT MTB frame from Velobuild for my commuter.

Very happy with it, just under a kg, good geometry and a great build for a 40km daily commute on slicks.

Finish is not as slick as the branded models and I had to be very gentle when attaching the derailleur to the drop out, but overall value for money at ~400 yoyo.

Excellent communication with the seller too.

The lead time is a how long is a piece of string question. It differs from supplier to supplier. That said, I assumed you were asking about a raid frame. It's a totally different ballgame for an MTB frame. These take a hammering and it's more risky if you ask me.

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    The lead time is a how long is a piece of string question. It differs from supplier to supplier. That said, I assumed you were asking about a raid frame. It's a totally different ballgame for an MTB frame. These take a hammering and it's more risky if you ask me.

The 057 mtb frame is likely one of the most popular imports - delivery build and longevity has been very good on anything I have read from first hand owners- I actually haven't read about a single 057 failure.

But- I am realistic, of course there could be issues with any bike, you just try reduce them and buy as you see fit.

• Advertisement

It seems you know more about this than your first post would indicate. Buy as per personal experience / recommendations from the forums you have researched. That frame would seem to be the one to get.

Advertisement