Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography Field Study - advice needed from experienced teacher please

Options
  • 27-04-2017 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I have been teaching Geography for the past two years - Leaving Cert.

Was my first time to do it and I am a hardworking, diligent teacher who tries their best.

I thought I was doing the right thing here but now I'm worried.

When we did the field study, we did go to a place, the students did their individual jobs and they wrote about them in their booklet when we got back to the class.

Like my other subject - English - I helped them to plan the booklet in the very same way that I would have helped them to plan their poetry/comparative/single text questions. I showed them sample diagrams and even drew a sample one on the board just to show them what it should/could look like.

So they did up the booklets, I collected them and all was fine. Until a colleague commented that they look quite similar. Now this has me in a tailspin. I didn't cheat. I planned it out with them and we discussed what would go in each section but they all had different jobs.

However, while their wording isn't 100% word-for-word the same (because we didn't just copy one down from the board if you like) the layout and general gist of the study is the same (but how could it not be - they all did the same study!!??)

Their images are different too - but all appear in the booklet in the same order because of the plan we did.

I was only trying to do the right thing, but have I messed up? Am I going to be hauled in front of the dept? Will my students results be witheld?

I'm so worried, but not sure what I was supposed to do. I didn't realise I was doing anything wrong by helping them to plan it and discussing the content - I didn't notice anything warning me about this in the books/marking schemes online.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Realbhoy

I think by their very nature the projects are going to be similar. Your aims and planning will be for the entire class. You all did the same activities. Unless your study area contains some sort of micro climate in one part of it your results will be similar!! I'm at it since the GI became compulsory and have never had a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

It will always be similar. More so for section 1 and 2.
    For stage three they all did the same tasks, but individually they can describe their role. Eg I collected the bedload sample, I measures the bedload sample in my group etc.
    Stage 4 I leave them to choose what results to write up and guide them on their conclusions.
    Never had an issue yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

With my guys stage 3 is different which is what makes it not word for word. The rest of it however, pretty much is. I discussed/dictated and they wrote it down then. There may be a difference in word order in one or two sentences but very very similar. Do I need to rectify this and get them to write it out again, this time more in their own words? Not worried about my rep amongst the kids. Want to keep my job. Never thought of this as an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭feardeas

There will be no issue. Marked for years, reports will always be similar. Never was an issue. It shows the falacy of the thing but there you go. The reports are marked hard because of the time they have e.g. graphs need to be precise. Therefore the students need the guidance.

Advertisement