Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injury outside work

Options
  • 27-04-2017 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Called the boss told him I was injury and wouldn't be in the following day , he didn't believe me and asked for a picture. Is he even allowed to do that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭kirving

In your story, you skip straight to calling your boss, as opposed to the nature of the injury.

We're you actually injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

He could look for a doctors cert that would cost you €50+ or you can take a pic for free.

Your call.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

OP, i'm not sure what the harm is in taking the picture.

Either you're injured or you're not, and will need to prove it one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Called the boss told him I was injury and wouldn't be in the following day , he didn't believe me and asked for a picture. Is he even allowed to do that.

he can ask....whether you give it to him or not is a different matter.

Depending on what the injury is, it might have been inappropriate to ask.

Personally i'd laugh it off and say i'll show ya when i get back to work...no pic sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭iamfromcork

Sprained ankle , in a+e .

In your story, you skip straight to calling your boss, as opposed to the nature of the injury.

We're you actually injured?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Similar story, I was a passenger in a car that was rear ended by a truck at motorway speed. My cheeky c*nt of a boss asked for a picture of the car. He was promptly told no, it wasn't his business to ask.

He found a reason to get rid of me shorty after that. Your call OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Pretty easy picture to take, you could argue the toss and tell him he has no right to know your medical condition, but as another poster said, you would have to get a cert from work anyway which would cost you more time and money that texting a photo of your ankle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

If you're in A&E then why not just get them to give you a cert for work? Wouldn't cost you anymore then what you have to pay for in A&E anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Nothing to stop you looking for a sick cert for one day if you want, you can also ask for a cert to say that you are fit to return to work as well.

Employers can become very cynical when there are a number of sick days requested either by one person in particular or by a number of staff in general.

Sometimes they will call in sick at the last min and totally make a mess of everything that the boss had planned for the day as they have to cover a shift at short notice.

Its unusual to ask for a picture, you dont have to send it in, just say that you will drop in the cert when you can.

sugarman wrote: »
    Get over it, its not illegal and believe or not some employers do ask for a death certificate, especially if its paid leave.

Actually it is, an employer cannot require you to inform them of the nature of your illness, all that is required is a certification that you are unable to work as a result of illness.

Having said that, op, do you not think you are being a bit precious? It only takes a few seconds to send a picture of your ankle, problem solved.

• Advertisement

Precious lol, he's a prick you know the type. Why should I give him more than he's allowed by law.

Because life's too short to be getting your knickers in a twist about something so small. And to keep your job maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

davo10 wrote: »

Having said that, op, do you not think you are being a bit precious? It only takes a few seconds to send a picture of your ankle, problem solved.
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

maybe he wanted to send flowers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

sugarman wrote: »
    Only if hes out 2 consecutive days or more. A cert isnt needed for a single day.

Ask for a note, saves any hassle.

That's not true.
    Employer can ask for a cert for any absence. We would often insist of serial absentees that every single sick day is certified. It's amazing how their health improves.

I have to be honest I think asking for a picture is very amature on the managers behalf, I'd just ask for a cert and leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Take a selfie at the A&E. Make sure to smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Are you still off with your ankle?

You said you'd be out the following day, not multiple.
    A sprained ankle that needs a trip to A& E would have you out of work for a week, let alone a day.
    Methinks you're sick often and the boss is calling your bluff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Yep, if you have a good record with your boss, an absence is usually met with "ah, get well soon and give me a shout tomorrow if your still feeling bad". But someone with many absences is met with "I don't believe you so send me a picture".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

Asking for a picture is completely unprofessional. On the other hand if the OP was at A&E then a cert should have been requested, the employer is perfectly entitled to request official acknowledgement for any time off due to illness or injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭eirmail

Get a Doctors Cert, then send him a picture of it. Problem solved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Picture is a weird request, literally never come across that and would never think of asking anyone to send me one.

I get certs with any sick leave just to be on the safe side.

Not sure what the boss expects from the picture, not like a sprained ankle is always obvious :D You'll hardly be in a cast or have some black and blue foot

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

People seriously think it's ok for a boss to ask for a picture of this person's injured leg to prove he was in A&E and not able to work?

I dont think it's reasonable for someone to have to produce a picture to prove their illness/injury. A cert from the Doctor at A&E should be enough for your boss.

I understand some folk are saying that if you want to keep your job you should send the pic but it's ridiculous and your boss could land him/herself in trouble over such voyeuristic requests depending on age and sex of their employee.

People seriously think it's ok for a boss to ask for a picture of this person's injured leg to prove he was in A&E and not able to work?

I dont think it's reasonable for someone to have to produce a picture to prove their illness/injury. A cert from the Doctor at A&E should be enough for your boss.

I understand some folk are saying that if you want to keep your job you should send the pic but it's ridiculous and your boss could land him/herself in trouble over such voyeuristic requests depending on age and sex of their employee.

A sprained ankle "voyeuristic"?, that's a bit of a stretch. Maybe if the manager asked the op to paint his toenails pink before taking the photo, I could see your point.

No, I'm a manager myself and I think its very unprofessional behaviour.
    Just ask for a cert and be done with the messing.

Advertisement