Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first employee's

Options
  • 27-04-2017 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

I need to hire 2 people, one to do reports and one to do some phone sales.

I am going to do part-time works, and try get people for 10 euro an hour, 4 hours a day, 5 days a week, in dublin 15

Given the wages are so low, should we pitch this to people on the dole who can work 20 hours?

The business is a new startup and can have influx's of cash, then less sales, then more sales etc.

Regarding the basics of employing someone should I set aside 3 months wages for each person or what way do I structure it to assure their wages are always there without eating my own salary.

Basically we need to get away from the habit of spending what comes in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Hey there, would you hire a bright 16 y old chap?
    seems like a good structure to put in place, 3 months wages aside.

I did that in the boom time when I had more lads working for me. All went to pot in the crash and I ended up paying the lads first and left myself short.
    Thanks god times have changed again. Best of luck with your business. Did you contact any bodies like Enterprise Ireland? My mate got a grant off them last year for his business and he's doing great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

utmbuilder wrote: »
    I need to hire 2 people, one to do reports and one to do some phone sales.

I am going to do part-time works, and try get people for 10 euro an hour, 4 hours a day, 5 days a week, in dublin 15

Given the wages are so low, should we pitch this to people on the dole who can work 20 hours?

The business is a new startup and can have influx's of cash, then less sales, then more sales etc.

Regarding the basics of employing someone should I set aside 3 months wages for each person or what way do I structure it to assure their wages are always there without eating my own salary.

Basically we need to get away from the habit of spending what comes in.

I doubt anyone capable will be interested in phone sales for €10 a hour, even the mostly commission jobs pay a basic a little higher than that.

Telesales is hard, its not enough to be keen, they need sales skills and you need the sales management skills to make it worthwhile.

In your situation I would actually look at outsourcing both functions, do a sales campaign or quarterly reports, etc. It will be more expensive than what you want to pay but obviously the idea is to increase expected return.

Also I think the work 20 hours does not apply to jobseekers, as far as I remember you can claim a reduced payment if you work less than 4 days a week (they reduce the payment in relation to the number of days worked), but you have them working 5 days, the max worked would be 3 (even though only half days). If you do want to employ someone, increase the sales wages or put in place commissions, you may get stay at home parents interested. Maybe you don't need the reporting function and can just get reports produced quarterly etc?

Advertisement