Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

entering a property after eviction notice

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Its a civil matter so no matter what there won't be any criminal convictions, the Gardai won't even get involved. Talk about scaremongering.

It's no wonder tenants are getting away with so much reading the likes of this, far too much tip toeing around rather than going for the jugular.

The garda will turn up to ensure there is no breach of the peace, if they get a complaint. They will invariably tell the landlord to go away and deal with the matter through the courts or the RTB.
    <mod snip :uncalled for>

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Its a civil matter so no matter what there won't be any criminal convictions, the Gardai won't even get involved. Talk about scaremongering.
    The matter of the rent arrears and the eviction notice and the overholding is a civil matter.

Turning up on the doorstep and physically turfing someone out of their home can very quickly become a matter for the Gardai.

Bit of hysteria in this thread over landlord rights. Considering there are recent court orders against tenants for overstaying, published on the PRTB website, I don't think tenants are allowed to do what they want??
    Nobody thinks tenants are allowed do what they want.

Nobody doubts that the PRTB makes orders against unco-operative tenants.

Nobody doubts that these orders can be enforced by the courts.

The problem is the (apparent) protracted length of time and effort that are involved in achieving vacant possession in such circumstances, as well as the financial loss to the landlord that arises during that drawn-out process, during which time a non-paying tenant can stay put.
    Anyway it looks like the o/ps mother and his sister have made a...
    What exactly does anyone hope to achieve by being so personal? Everyone accepts that my Mum should have spotted the arrears sooner, she's the one who is accepting the loss of money as being like spilt milk, i.e. no point in whining over it.

I don't know why she's so calm about this...<mod snip: report don't retort>..., but I'm thankful to the many people who have offered entirely sensible, informed advice. That has all been taken on board.

I'll post a summary of the solicitor's advice when I meet him tomorrow, so that it might be useful to anyone else who finds themselves in a similar position.

Advertisement