Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MSc in Management Trinity or UCD

• 27-04-2017 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Just wondering if anyone would have any tips or advice on doing the MSc in Management and the difference between studying it at Trinity or UCD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

No one has really done both so you'd be doing well to get a comparison.

I did UCD in 2014-15. I loved it tbh. 4 modules per semester, the autumn and spring semesters are arranged as normal. 4 concurrent modules - exams at the end. The summer semester you did the modules in 3 week blocks.

Each semester you were assigned a different project group of 5 or 6. Usually 3 Irish 1 "Western" non Irish, 1 Indian and one East Asian. I think this set me up pretty well for the workplace. You had the same group for four modules and you'd spend ten hours a week working them. It was pretty practical.

The typical module would have a presentation worth about 10-20% (this was usually a gimme no one did badly, it was purely to work on the skill). Some coursework worth around 30-40 percent and exam worth about 50%.

Lecturers were mostly very good.

If the outcome you are looking for is an academic challenge it might not be for you. It is not a masters in Economics, Marketing, Strategy, Corporate Finance or Business Psychology. It hits all those things, but not in enough depth to ever be properly academically challenging. You have to be quick at grasping the basics.

If the outcome you are looking for is good employability skills and a reputation that genuinely does follow you everywhere. It is for you. You'll develop soft skills, you'll learn the basics of what you need for business and you will meet good people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rita_xo

errlloyd wrote: »

I did UCD in 2014-15. I loved it tbh. 4 modules per semester, the autumn and spring semesters are arranged as normal. 4 concurrent modules - exams at the end. The summer semester you did the modules in 3 week blocks.

Each semester you were assigned a different project group of 5 or 6. Usually 3 Irish 1 "Western" non Irish, 1 Indian and one East Asian. I think this set me up pretty well for the workplace. You had the same group for four modules and you'd spend ten hours a week working them. It was pretty practical.

The typical module would have a presentation worth about 10-20% (this was usually a gimme no one did badly, it was purely to work on the skill). Some coursework worth around 30-40 percent and exam worth about 50%.

If the outcome you are looking for is an academic challenge it might not be for you. It is not a masters in Economics, Marketing, Strategy, Corporate Finance or Business Psychology. It hits all those things, but not in enough depth to ever be properly academically challenging. You have to be quick at grasping the basics.

If the outcome you are looking for is good employability skills and a reputation that genuinely does follow you everywhere. It is for you. You'll develop soft skills, you'll learn the basics of what you need for business and you will meet good people.

Thanks for getting back to me. I know the course is for non business graduates, I'm coming from a law background, what was the mix like from other students? Did you/many of the class get employment out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

errlloyd wrote: »

Hi errlloyd

I've an offer for this course, part time, in UCD in September.

Can you answer a few questions if you dont mind?

I've an honours degree in computers but its from 10 years ago, so will have to get back into the idea of studying and research pretty quick.

Is the workload heavy or overwhelming?

Is there a thesis or dissertation at the end?
    I dont seem to see anything about one on the UCD website, only modules
    business project 1 and 2.

I know that the classes are over block weekend and there's alot of self study involved but is there supposed to be much time to meeting up with people for group projects?
    I work shift every 2nd week and am afraid of not being able to meet up if its
    supposed to be something that done on a weekly basis

Do you feel this course was worthwhile for your career prospects?
    I'm quite happy in more current role but would hope this would open p doors
    to some of the bigger American companies here like the Googles, Facebooks,
    Paypals etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Just for the record, I replied to Eamondunphy after he PM'd me, but missed the reply to rita_xo.

I check the UCD forum very infrequently, but I am willing to answer questions on the MSc Management. So feel free to PM.

Advertisement