Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Catholic Liturgical Music From An Atheist Perspective

• 27-04-2017 6:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Hi lads.

I just want to know from an atheist perspective looking into the Church, when it comes to our music, you may not like any of it but which do you think is a better fit for Catholicism? what music do you feel that if you walked into a Catholic Church would better fit it's architecture and the drama of the Mass? Is it the rock and roll music complete with all the acoustic guitars and tambourines that does it for you, or do you think the choral and gregorian chant is a better fit.

Even before I became Christian I always felt that the folk guitars in a church always seemed out of place almost like going to a heavy metal gig with all the heavy metal lighting and back drop only for Chris martin from Coldplay to get up on stage. It would just look so out of place.

I want others who are not Christians and are either secular or atheist to give me their opinion.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maybe worth noting that my wife was a choral scholar in trinity and pretty much everyone in the choir was an atheist.
    she used to sing in whitefriar street, same deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,875 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I mostly like religious music, but then I have a soft spot for ceremony and pomp and circumstance. I like to listen to military marching bands, that doesn't mean that I go along with war and aggression. Music like Handel's Messiah and Bach's Toccata and Fugue is great to listen to, as is ceremonial music like cathedral choirs accompanied by a cathedral organ.

I am pretty much indifferent to folk guitars and I actively dislike gospel music, both came into popularity after I had left the church I had been part of. If people want to use them in church, that's up to them, its none of my business or interest.

One of the things I liked about church attendance in my teens was being part of a Methodist congregation singing hymns. They really can sing and it is very enjoyable. None of it would encourage me to take up religion again though, its just a pleasant bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I like Gregorian chant, but I don't see the point of going to a church and sitting in an uncomfortable pew to listen to it.
    Not when I can play some while enjoying an abbey weissbier in a hot bath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,741 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I just want to know from an atheist perspective looking into the Church, when it comes to our music, you may not like any of it but which do you think is a better fit for Catholicism?

what music do you feel that if you walked into a Catholic Church would better fit it's architecture and the drama of the Mass?

This is a bit like asking a eunuch for advice about condom brands.
    Even before I became Christian I always felt that the folk guitars in a church always seemed out of place

Fr Sean Fortune was a big fan of them. I was at one of his masses once, always seemed like a wrong 'un and a right creep
    I want others who are not Christians and are either secular or atheist to give me their opinion.

Either secular or atheist...??? what is your understanding of the word 'secular' ?
    All atheists are secularists
    Many secularists are religious.
    It relates to the separation of church and state, not whether one believes or not.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,771 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I'm going to hazard a guess here that people who are not keen on guitar-driven folk music in general also don't find it appealing in a liturgical context.

Gee, who knew?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

When it comes to cathedrals you can't beat the oul pipe organs right enough. Plenty of Bach hits the spot and if you're feeling truly sombre there's always Lacrimosa from Mozart's Requiem.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

what music do you feel that if you walked into a Catholic Church would better fit it's architecture and the drama of the Mass?
    A few weeks back, I was playing the organ in Killarney Cathedral - the building has to be one of the country's finest - and I have to say there's nothing quite like the feeling of lighting up the building with a dose of something like the prelude to Langlais' "Suite Medievale" on full organ. Pierre du Mage's delicious 18th century Premier Livre d'Orgue worked well too.

As for the "drama of the mass", er, well, John Cage's 4'33" captures that :)

And while Mozart's Lacrimosa isn't bad, at least for Mozart, it's not a damp patch on Bach's Erbarme dich, mein Gott from his Matthew Passion.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Stoner Doom metal meets Eastern Orthodox Christianity

Would be class to hear live in a massive Cathedral :D

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

robindch wrote: »
    A few weeks back, I was playing the organ in Killarney Cathedral - the building has to be one of the country's finest - and I have to say there's nothing quite like the feeling of lighting up the building with a dose of something like the prelude to Langlais' "Suite Medievale" on full organ. Pierre du Mage's delicious 18th century Premier Livre d'Orgue worked well too.
    do you have the parishoners coming up to you afterwards complaining 'do you not know "the bells of the angelus"?'
    used to happen my wife in whitefriar street. i suppose that was a case of knowing your audience, they weren't used to poulenc (sp?) masses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,875 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I was in Oxford one time, visiting with a group when I developed a migraine headache. A real go to bed and close the curtains type, but I was wandering around the city. Eventually I went into a church where it was cool and the light wasn't so bright, and sagged into a pew till the migraine went away. Except that, within a couple of minutes of sitting down the organ struck up and someone proceeded to practice very very loud music that went through my head for a short cut...that was not a good day!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

do you have the parishoners coming up to you afterwards complaining 'do you not know "the bells of the angelus"?'
    I really recommend playing from the gallery, so to speak.

Far fewer parishioners hanging around up there!

Advertisement