Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Possible psychosis?

• 27-04-2017 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm posting this to gain some perspective on my situation before I take any further steps and seek medical help. I really would love if anyone from a mental health background give me some advice on how to go about getting professional help.

My brother has a history of mental illness, depression, drug/alcohol abuse, psychosis/schizophrenia. He has been hospitalised many times over the years.

I'm in my mid twenties and in the last few weeks I have moved back into the family home with my parents and himself as I'm saving to make the move to another country.

Bassically, he drinks every night, smokes weed in the house and is very agressive. So much so that he has physically attacked me (dragging me by hair, punching, kicking on ground, pushing me into walls, has threatened to stab me with kitchen utensils etc). He isnt physical towards our parents but he is verbally abusive. Before I moved back home he attempted to set trees in our garden on fire and attack my mother and she rang the guards because she was scared. He was assessed by a dr in the station and they felt there was nothing wrong with him although my parents pleaded with him. This is my reasoning behind not reporting his physical abuse towards me because I think if I do it will add fuel to the fire if a dr doesn't believe me and he will really hurt me when he is released.

My parents answer to this situatiom is to keep quiet and once he is calmed down they will approach the idea of him going back into hospital/rehab. I don't agree and would like to take action.

I feel like he is going through psychosis again but I'm not a dr and I don't know. He has become obsessed with the internet and detests Islam and the influx of migrants into Europe and I could be a way off the mark but could this 'obsession' be a sign of psychosis or do you think okay, this guy has issues but he has every right to be extemely worried about the rise of ISIS in Europe?

I'd really appreciate everyones opinion on how I should handle this because it isn't something I feel comfortable discussing with friends or collegues.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭foxylaydee

How was his childhood? Was he bullied at school? Someone has to get to the root of the problem. Most people are angry because they are hurting.

I'm not a mental health professional but I have read bits on the topic.

I wish you and your family all the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭mrsmags16

I am a mental health professional and you can't possibly diagnose him over the internet via hearsay reports, not that I doubt your sincerity and concern.
    I would reiterate what doctors have probably told you; that you should contact the Gardai if you have concerns for your safety or others'. Mental health difficulties don't necessarily exculpate people from criminal responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Eimee90

If you don't disclose to professionals that he is being violent towards you, they wont see him as dangerous, Op. And he won't be assessed properly therefore he will remain in your home as a danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Acara

Is this just your brother's personality. Does he feel entitled to to cause such devastation to his own family members.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Acara

Why doesn't he get his marching orders he behaves like a brat caus it's tolerated abd prob always was.Now hes a grown man of course its scary and not safe to be around. What a powerful guy !!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Smiley283

Last night my brother was involuntary committed to a psychiatric hospital. I was correct in thinking he was psychotic. Currently refusing visitors or medication but hoping that he will accept help a.s.a.p. Could anyone explain to me what being involuntary held means? If in a months time he is still psychotic but not violent could the drs release him back into our care or do they have to be satisfied that he is out of psychosis before they will release him?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 taken1

being held involuntary is being held against his will. He camn not sign himself out. google The Mental Health Act, 2001

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

Smiley283 wrote: »
    Last night my brother was involuntary committed to a psychiatric hospital. I was correct in thinking he was psychotic. Currently refusing visitors or medication but hoping that he will accept help a.s.a.p. Could anyone explain to me what being involuntary held means? If in a months time he is still psychotic but not violent could the drs release him back into our care or do they have to be satisfied that he is out of psychosis before they will release him?

Being admitted on an involuntary basis is initially valid for up to 21 days, providing he continues to meet the criteria for detention all that time. Within the 21 days, he will have a tribunal hearing which is an independent review of his detention- prior to this he will have a solicitor appointed to him to ensure it's a lawful detention and represent him at the tribunal, and he'll get a second opinion from an independent consultant (ie not one within the hospital where he is). The tribunal panel consists of a barrister, consultant psychiatrist and lay person. His treating consultant will attend and he is also encouraged to attend.

The tribunal have one question to answer- "does he meet the criteria for detention currently?"

The tribunal can effectively do two things- either revoke the detention order or affirm it. If they revoke it, he is free to leave hospital. If they affirm it, a renewal order is done for a period of time up to 3 months (but maybe less, depending on his expected progress)

The criteria for detention are (broadly) that he has a mental illness and as a consequence of that is an immediate and significant danger to self or others OR that because of mental illness his judgement is severely impaired and he requires treatment which can only be given in hospital and is expected to improve his condition.

I can't remember the specifics of your brother's case from your first post but it's important to say that someone cannot legally be detained for substance misuse, antisocial behaviour or personality disorder.

Hope this post has helped clear things up.
    Worth looking at mental health commission website- mhcirl.ie

Advertisement