Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit cards

• 27-04-2017 8:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭

Looking for a recommendation for a credit card to use mostly on line. Obviously not a ruinous interest rate and can be paid in the post office.

TIA

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This is not a Galway city issue. Moved to Banking.

I assume you have contacted your bank to ask about debit card?
    You can look at prepaid credit cards, or An Post Sterling card(at least I think this can be used), or Paypal (if the sites you will use can handle paypal).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭Bredabe

I posted here cause the card will be used exclusively in Galway, and that influences things like credit limits and checks.
    I didn't put it in Banking cause of the volume and how different cards weight addresses differently.

He has up to now used debit cards and has found the security has been lax and lost money due to hacking, he's not good with all the drama that goes along with that, my experience with cc is that they are more supportive of ppl with hearing/form filling issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Please see the revolut thread on here can't link as on phone

But the revolut will do exactly what you want and can top it up from debit card easily via a mobile app.

No need to waste time in posts offices or any of that.

Only spend what it's topped up by and it's a MasterCard so can use it anywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Bredabe wrote: »
    I posted here cause the card will be used exclusively in Galway, and that influences things like credit limits and checks.
    I didn't put it in Banking cause of the volume and how different cards weight addresses differently.

He has up to now used debit cards and has found the security has been lax and lost money due to hacking, he's not good with all the drama that goes along with that, my experience with cc is that they are more supportive of ppl with hearing/form filling issues.

I'm not sure what information your working from, but in Ireland your address of location has virtually nothing to do with your limit, or your credit rating.

You'll be scored on your ICB record, and if you apply for a card at an institution that you have another account they'll look at their own records too. Approval and credit limits will be decided by your history, ability to repay, employment status etc

BuffyBot wrote: »
    I'm not sure what information your working from, but in Ireland your address of location has virtually nothing to do with your limit, or your credit rating.

You'll be scored on your ICB record, and if you apply for a card at an institution that you have another account they'll look at their own records too. Approval and credit limits will be decided by your history, ability to repay, employment status etc

I'll have to take your word on that, but my collegue in dublin was turned down cause of the bad credit rating of ppl in his area, my experience(tho not that recent) backs up what I said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

Bredabe wrote: »
    I'll have to take your word on that, but my collegue in dublin was turned down cause of the bad credit rating of ppl in his area, my experience(tho not that recent) backs up what I said.

That's probably just what he told you. Your measured on your own credit score. I live in a very bad area and I got a credit card because I work and pay my bills on time and have good credit

listermint wrote: »
    Please see the revolut thread on here can't link as on phone

But the revolut will do exactly what you want and can top it up from debit card easily via a mobile app.

No need to waste time in posts offices or any of that.

Only spend what it's topped up by and it's a MasterCard so can use it anywhere
    Have you used this recently and on paypal?
    He's happy to pay in the po as he's technophobic,
    From what you say it had to be topped up online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

Is this suitable for car rental?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Is this suitable for car rental?

The Revolut card? It's a debit card rather than credit card, so many rental places would not. The few that would, would require a large hold placed upon it so you would have to have that deposit loaded on to the card and prepared not to be able to spend any of it for a while.

Advertisement