Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ID mobile increased Data allowances

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭T-Bird

kn wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/irish-mobile-operator-id-to-double-data-allowances-in-bid-to-get-more-customers-35660059.html

The article says doubling but in fact it ranges from 50% to 300% depending on the plan. The €15 plan with a 30GB allowance would be competition for the likes of TM.

Terrible customer service, stay away. Some people might think that they would never need to contact C.S. They will with this shower and then quickly move away.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

T-Bird wrote: »
    Terrible customer service, stay away. Some people might think that they would never need to contact C.S. They will with this shower and then quickly move away.

I've been with them over a year now and only had to contact customer service once (that I can remember) to change my bank details with them and had no issues.

They sent me a text earlier with a link to the details of all the changes.
    https://www.idmobile.ie/customer-notifications

According to the link, texts and calls to EU numbers come out of your included minutes/texts but it seems that applies only when roaming which is weird. Does anyone know if that will apply when at home as well?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Never had problems myself either with them. Had one call to customer service and problem was resolved within an hour.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

According to the link, texts and calls to EU numbers come out of your included minutes/texts but it seems that applies only when roaming which is weird. Does anyone know if that will apply when at home as well?

No they won't. The free calls and texts are due to the new EU roaming rules, but they only apply while roaming. The rules don't apply to international calls while in Ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

So mobile bills will work out cheaper the months you roam if you send even one text abroad while in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Here's the facts.

From June 1st, your Irish allowance is increased.
    From June 1st, you can use your calls and texts to Ireland and Europe while roaming in the EU, as per your allowance.
    From June 1st, if you go over your allowance abroad, you pay standard rates.

I am very happy with their service.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

bk wrote: »
    No they won't. The free calls and texts are due to the new EU roaming rules, but they only apply while roaming. The rules don't apply to international calls while in Ireland!

I never knew that was part of the new roaming rules. It's good to see. Is there any plans to remove international rates within the EU altogether?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭tomfoolery60

I never knew that was part of the new roaming rules. It's good to see. Is there any plans to remove international rates within the EU altogether?

I left ID as I couldn't get the roaming to work in the UK - never would let me access data and customer service couldn't help. Hopefully they fix that! Otherwise was a good service at very good price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Never had problems myself either with them. Had one call to customer service and problem was resolved within an hour.

One person in 100,000 might have a bad experience with a CS and advises everyone else to stay away. The problem being that other people have the same issue with other operators meaning no one should use mobiles at all.
    T-Bird wrote:

If you're roaming, you must do the following:

"SIM Tool Kit" > "Roaming Services" > "Select mode" > "Manual" > "International"

Then you're good to go.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

cormie wrote: »
    So mobile bills will work out cheaper the months you roam if you send even one text abroad while in Ireland?

Yes, madness I know!

Unfortunately not that I know of.

Though I suspect it will increasingly become common, at least a couple hundred minutes and texts per month, due to competition and people increasingly using VOIP services like whatsapp voice instead anyway.
    One person in 100,000 might have a bad experience with a CS and advises everyone else to stay away. The problem being that other people have the same issue with other operators meaning no one should use mobiles at all.

In fairness ID has had some very serious and widespread issues (lots of issues with not receiving calls and texts from other networks) that have been well documented here on boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭tomfoolery60

If you're roaming, you must do the following:

"SIM Tool Kit" > "Roaming Services" > "Select mode" > "Manual" > "International"

Then you're good to go.

That never worked for me alas. Perhaps it was my phone though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

kn wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/irish-mobile-operator-id-to-double-data-allowances-in-bid-to-get-more-customers-35660059.html

The article says doubling but in fact it ranges from 50% to 300% depending on the plan. The €15 plan with a 30GB allowance would be competition for the likes of TM.

Nice to see they have just come out and been upfront about what you'd get with the roaming data allowance. Seems to me they are actually giving a bit more then the bare minimum they have to under the new rules as well. (3 times [the plan without VAT divided by the wholesale cap] instead of 2 times). :D

Now perhaps it'll force the others to clarify and offer the same or better. I'm looking at you Tesco Mobile...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Joined ID the first month but realised quickly that coverage in my area was patching, dropping signal indoors. Within the cooling off period I moved back to Meteor and they didn't charge me a cent.

Happy with at end of things and I'm with Virgin Media Mobile now which is very good for €25 unlimited. Don't have to change every couple of months now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Absolutely true. In my case I had an ongoing issue, different answers every time. 5 phone calls, 2 visits to different stores, more phone calls there. The staff were all nice in the shops but it was the phone helpdesk that constantly gave the incorrect information. This went I for a month and I the end I walked away and changed my contact.

I have been in C.S myself for over a decade now but have never experienced this inability before. I have never advised anyone to stay away before. But for them I make the execption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Berty wrote: »
    Joined ID the first month but realised quickly that coverage in my area was patching, dropping signal indoors. Within the cooling off period I moved back to Meteor and they didn't charge me a cent.

Happy with at end of things and I'm with Virgin Media Mobile now which is very good for €25 unlimited. Don't have to change every couple of months now.

aren't Virgin and ID both on the same network (i.e. 3's)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Yes

Totally surprised how anyone can have differing coverage. Might be a bit of a placebo effect, as they're both on the same network. And I'm mean, literally. It's not even the old O2 masts. It's the same as Virgin.

Totally surprised how anyone can have differing coverage. Might be a bit of a placebo effect, as they're both on the same network. And I'm mean, literally. It's not even the old O2 masts. It's the same as Virgin.

While they are on the same mast network, they will have different interconnection and international backhaul connections.

It is also possible that they have different levels of priority and bandwidth negotiated with three and even different backhaul arrangements from the masts back to their NOC's.

Given that Virgin have one of the best networks in the country (for their wired broadband, second only to Eir), I suspect they are taking the traffic off the Three network as soon as possible, they might even be doing it at the masts.

Whilst on the other hand ID have almost no presence in Ireland, so they most be renting capacity from various other providers.

This can all lead to very different levels of performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 cristali

Even if the change in data allowance seems good, having such a bad experience with ID I used this as an excuse to get out of the contract. Thank f... !! At least for me was a nightmare to deal with their CS which have no clue on what planet they are, overcharged for 'bill that wasn't paid along the contract' but when I asked which one it is they weren't able to tell me although on my online account all showed paid, still waiting for all my bills to be sent by email since March and probably I'll still be waiting. Too much hassle ... not to start about the coverage, texts that I never got, etc . This was the best excuse for me. If I never hear about this network again I won't shed a tear. Rant over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

loyatemu wrote: »
    aren't Virgin and ID both on the same network (i.e. 3's)

Yes but there is different coverage now Vs then. Before it was no indoor voice and now it's 4G outside and 3G inside along with strong voice.

My post was to say that iD weren't difficult to deal with when leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭ahbell

Does anyone know how often you have to top up with ID? Is it every 28 days as per Three and Vodafone or every calendar month? Tried to look on their website but couldn't find the answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

cristali wrote: »
    Even if the change in data allowance seems good, having such a bad experience with ID I used this as an excuse to get out of the contract. Thank f... !! At least for me was a nightmare to deal with their CS which have no clue on what planet they are, overcharged for 'bill that wasn't paid along the contract' but when I asked which one it is they weren't able to tell me although on my online account all showed paid, still waiting for all my bills to be sent by email since March and probably I'll still be waiting. Too much hassle ... not to start about the coverage, texts that I never got, etc . This was the best excuse for me. If I never hear about this network again I won't shed a tear. Rant over

Ime they DO NOT respond to letters in reply to their own. Next thing you know you have a debt collectors letter with draft proceedings for the district court attached, then a bullying phone call from the debt collection agency that is also a solicitors firm - most horrendous unprofessional company I've ever done business with and wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Counter point. I've had no issue, and am moving my mother in law and wife to them soon.

I have to say I agree with many of the positive posters here. I've had a good experience.

I had a minor billing issue just after they launched. They responded within good time. I had a shortcode issue, and they went above and beyond to sort it out and kept me in the loop accordingly. I had a pricing query, and they were prompt and helpful. I had a Roaming query, and they were fast and informative.

In terms of coverage, I think that they've performed very well and with good service generally speaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

MarkR wrote: »
    Counter point. I've had no issue, and am moving my mother in law and wife to them soon.

Divorce in 5...4...3..

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I spent 3 months with them last year when they launched, it was an absolute disaster to be honest, It had gone to stage that I was on first name terms with some of the CS agents. Their call centre was based in Waterford so many of the staff there were having the very same issue that I was having so they knew where I was coming from. Issues I was having ranged from having no data coverage at all to having full mobile signal but not being able to make or receive calls, other issues were my phone would ring and I would not be able to hear the person calling me for the first 8-10 seconds. Text messages not being delivered and so on.

There was often instances in those 3 months where the network would go totally for hours at a time. There was a thread on here at the time with pages and pages of issues. I remember one of the last calls I made to CS, the agent said to be, "if you use your phone a lot, I think you might be better off moving to a different network" enough said after that comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

While they are on the same mast network, they will have different interconnection and international backhaul connections.

It is also possible that they have different levels of priority and bandwidth negotiated with three and even different backhaul arrangements from the masts back to their NOC's.

Given that Virgin have one of the best networks in the country (for their wired broadband, second only to Eir), I suspect they are taking the traffic off the Three network as soon as possible, they might even be doing it at the masts.

Whilst on the other hand ID have almost no presence in Ireland, so they most be renting capacity from various other providers.

So if you can get reception in an area with Tesco (old 02 network) but couldn't get reception in the same area with 3..... because 3 bought out 02 does this mean there is no point in going near Tesco now ??? or have 3 left left existing 02 areas alone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

Mast could be allocating different frequencies to various MNVO causing different coverage and completely different experience even though network is shared.

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    So if you can get reception in an area with Tesco (old 02 network) but couldn't get reception in the same area with 3..... because 3 bought out 02 does this mean there is no point in going near Tesco now ??? or have 3 left left existing 02 areas alone ?

Well Tesco/Lyca/ID are all still on the old o2 network. Three are busy combining the networks at the moment, but it is still far from complete.

Also as September1 said, different MVNO's might be using different radios and frequencies and also have different priority levels.

The best thing to do, if you are interested in using a particular network, get a free or cheap SIM and use it for a few days in the places where you normally are (home, school, work, etc.). If it works fine for you, then you can change over completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

i signed up to ID via a work incentive scheme... get the 30 euro a month deal for 20.. seems pretty close to what I was getting coverage wise etc to what I had with three.. sometimes ive noticed it takes a little longer to lock onto signal.. e.g. I was in a car park the other day and the signal dropped and my data didn't come back up for a few minutes when I drove out.... otherwise so far so good.. for 20 euro a month cant really go wrong with 30gb allowance and euro roaming allowance included.. I don't travel a lot but hoping to use data in july in france mainly for google maps and android auto,, car has built in sat nav also so can use that if stuck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭slegs

All entirely untrue. Coverage is identical. Virgin have no interaction with Three backhaul. Three cannot give lower priority to either Virgin or iD so the priority is identical also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭asharkman

i signed up to ID via a work incentive scheme... get the 30 euro a month deal for 20.. seems pretty close to what I was getting coverage wise etc to what I had with three.. sometimes ive noticed it takes a little longer to lock onto signal.. e.g. I was in a car park the other day and the signal dropped and my data didn't come back up for a few minutes when I drove out.... otherwise so far so good.. for 20 euro a month cant really go wrong with 30gb allowance and euro roaming allowance included.. I don't travel a lot but hoping to use data in july in france mainly for google maps and android auto,, car has built in sat nav also so can use that if stuck

I'm with Tesco and i've found that recently too. Thought it was my phone to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

asharkman wrote: »

I'm with Tesco and i've found that recently too. Thought it was my phone to be honest.
    Mine is a htc 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Does anyone tether on iD? I note in their FAQs that they "do not allow tethering" however it then goes on to say that if you tether you may use all your data allowance quickly and then be charged if you go over.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Does anyone tether on iD? I note in their FAQs that they "do not allow tethering" however it then goes on to say that if you tether you may use all your data allowance quickly and then be charged if you go over.

I've been with them since the start and tether regularly when back home in Kerry. I've always stayed within my allowance and never been charged over and above.

I tether the odd time and never had any problems.

Customer Care will tell you that tethering is totally fine, but if you go over, you'll be charged accordingly. Obvious enough.

Advertisement